PDA

View Full Version : An Animated History of the iPhone

MacRumors
Oct 18, 2011, 01:28 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/an-animated-history-of-the-iphone/)

CNET UK put together (http://laughingsquid.com/an-animated-history-of-the-iphone/) this terrific look at the history of the iPhone and the people and technology that contributed to making the iPhone what it is today.

The video compares, among other things, famous designer Dieter Rams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Rams) to Jony Ive and traces Steve's founding of NeXT in 1985 to the world's 1.8 billion+ Internet users.

Article Link: An Animated History of the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/an-animated-history-of-the-iphone/)

chrmjenkins
Oct 18, 2011, 01:38 PM
Video got CPU speeds wrong.

iPhone/3G: 412 MHz
iPhone 3GS: 600 MHz
iPhone 4 ~ 800 MHz

kevingaffney
Oct 18, 2011, 01:42 PM
Top class. Enjoyed that

Dhelsdon
Oct 18, 2011, 01:42 PM
That video is poppin' it makes me want to do ecstasy and go to a rave.

mrat93
Oct 18, 2011, 01:47 PM

iPhone 4 ~ 800 MHz

That's what I was thinking. I believe that all of those speeds are technically correct for the CPU speeds, but Apple underclocked them in the iPhone.

Yvan256
Oct 18, 2011, 01:49 PM
Finally, people are starting to use Vimeo instead of YouTube.
I know YouTube supports HTML5/H.264 but not on all of their videos.

Vimeo = Always HTML5, H.264. Plays directly in Safari, no Flash required, very smooth.

As for the video, I love that style and the music was great but not obnoxious. Too bad they didn't list the iPhone 4S too.

Anyone knows where one could get that tune?

hankolerd
Oct 18, 2011, 01:50 PM
That's what I was thinking. I believe that all of those speeds are technically correct for the CPU speeds, but Apple underclocked them in the iPhone.

That's right. The chips are capable of those speeds, Apple most likely is under clocking them to save on battery life.

Pared
Oct 18, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'd love to know what software designed that. If anyone knows or can find out - I'd appreciate that.

Redbeard25
Oct 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
How meta is it that I just watched this on my iPhone?

iPad 3
Oct 18, 2011, 02:04 PM

iPhone 4 ~ 800 MHz

They are the underclocked speeds

The DRis
Oct 18, 2011, 02:07 PM
Damn, so much information in that video and it was just screaming by. I couldn't look at what they were showing and read it all too. Slow it down!

Schmitty11
Oct 18, 2011, 02:08 PM
pretty neat, and thats ALOT of transistors

bacaramac
Oct 18, 2011, 02:11 PM
They should put this in power point so we can digest the info. Great video.

Yvan256
Oct 18, 2011, 02:17 PM

"PowerPoint"? Really? :rolleyes:

chrmjenkins
Oct 18, 2011, 02:31 PM
They are the underclocked speeds

It's not underclocked if it is the standard speed.

iPad 3
Oct 18, 2011, 02:35 PM

no, they are the underclocked speeds, the iphone 4 chip for example is a 1ghz chip, it is underclocked to 800mhz

ciociosan
Oct 18, 2011, 02:37 PM
It's 8 Bit World by Gareth Johnson

http://www.audionetwork.com/production-music/8-bit-world_36369.aspx

Anyone knows where one could get that tune?

chrmjenkins
Oct 18, 2011, 02:43 PM
no, they are the underclocked speeds, the iphone 4 chip for example is a 1ghz chip, it is underclocked to 800mhz

Underclock represents a slower speed than the standard configuration of the CPU/processor. If apple ships a product clocked at a certain speed, that is the speed.

If I sold you a car and I told you that you could tune it to 200 horsepower, but it was only 150 as configured, would you say it had 150 or 200 horsepower?

Yvan256
Oct 18, 2011, 02:49 PM
It's 8 Bit World by Gareth Johnson

http://www.audionetwork.com/production-music/8-bit-world_36369.aspx

Thanks! :cool:

Kilamite
Oct 18, 2011, 02:50 PM
Vimeo = Always HTML5, H.264. Plays directly in Safari, no Flash required, very smooth.

Guess Flash is default for Vimeo because that's what loaded for me.

Caliber26
Oct 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
JFC!! It annoys me that they'd take the time and effort to create a great video like this, but then make it so fast where there's not enough time to read everything. A little common sense would go such a long way.

Laird Knox
Oct 18, 2011, 03:02 PM
That was a lot of information to throw out in a couple of minutes. :)

However, 32 billion transistors on the A4? That doesn't sound right.

docwisdom
Oct 18, 2011, 03:05 PM
freakin' troll

imgonephishin
Oct 18, 2011, 03:16 PM
I'd love to know what software designed that. If anyone knows or can find out - I'd appreciate that.

Probably Motion or After Effects. I use Motion quite a bit at work and it could handle of all of the 2.5D effects (2D illustrations in a 3D space--depth of field, reflections, shadows, etc.) shown in the video with ease.

Fazzy
Oct 18, 2011, 03:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great, interesting but it went alittle fast whilst showing specs

chrmjenkins
Oct 18, 2011, 03:24 PM
That was a lot of information to throw out in a couple of minutes. :)

However, 32 billion transistors on the A4? That doesn't sound right.

It's not. I missed that. It's likely 32 million.

Even Intel's itanium only has around 2 billion transistors.

Sardonick007
Oct 18, 2011, 03:48 PM
An otherwise awesome and informative video ruined by overzealous speed freaks at the design station.

exodyne
Oct 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
Very similar to Röyksopp´s Remind Me music video.
Remind me also won the 2002 MTV Europe Music Award for best music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo4u4JJAPGk&ob=av2e

http://royksopp.com/videos/remind-me

Lostanddamned
Oct 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
The point was not to absorb every fact presented, but to compare how much progress was required before the iPhone happened.

Its not educational, its a suggestion of how far we have come.

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 18, 2011, 04:08 PM
The point was not to absorb every fact presented, but to compare how much progress was required before the iPhone happened.

Its not educational, its a suggestion of how far we have come.

Good point.

although have we really made it that far? I suddenly feel like all that happened in the last 30 years was a bunch of spec bumps.

ryansimmons323
Oct 18, 2011, 04:10 PM
"PowerPoint"? Really? :rolleyes:
I'm afraid we've got a guy who owns an iPod touch and thinks he's an Apple fan there my friend...

Lostanddamned
Oct 18, 2011, 04:11 PM
Good point.

although have we really made it that far? I suddenly feel like all that happened in the last 30 years was a bunch of spec bumps.

I think, if you look at the scale of innovation, there is very little in the way of anything but a spec bump. Its just that with enough spec bumps the car is suddenly carrying a crew of 3 men to the moon.

I'm afraid we've got a guy who owns an iPod touch and thinks he's an Apple fan there my friend...

And just because he hasn't spent several thousand dollars like the rest of us, it doesn't mean he isn't. Powerpoint is a more sensible format than a keynote presentation; it allows for more viewers, which I hear is a good thing.

JTreehorn
Oct 18, 2011, 06:02 PM

You beat me to it :), both are fun videos

nospeed411
Oct 18, 2011, 06:07 PM
Wait....I thought Al Gore invented the internet?....WTF?

Good vid I enjoyed that

bacaramac
Oct 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
freakin' troll

Actually, I wrote that without thinking first. I use PowerPoint all day for work and was thinking it would be good in PowerPoint OR Keynote. Of course I meant Keynote since it's an Apple tale and as you can see by my signature, I hate Apple. Lol

whooleytoo
Oct 18, 2011, 06:15 PM
I had a very strange urge to lick the screen while watching that video... Was that just me?

(The video wouldn't AirPlay for me, which is annoying. Wonder if that's a problem with Vimeo?)

DarthVedder
Oct 18, 2011, 06:42 PM
Enjoyed it, nice work.

There was no 16 gig original iPhone, just a 4 & 8 gig. I remember this because I paid 599'before they were subsidized for an 8 gig only for the price to drop literally the next week when AT&T started subsidizing them!

kdarling
Oct 18, 2011, 06:43 PM
That's right. The chips are capable of those speeds, Apple most likely is under clocking them to save on battery life.

First, the speeds the chips might be capable of were only guesses based on chip construction.

Second, it's unlikely they were tested to max speed, as that would give less chip yield and could raise the cost quite a bit. It's more cost effective to only test at the desired speed.

This is correct. Also, the standard speed is dependent on all the other parts surrounding the CPU.

blue22
Oct 18, 2011, 07:32 PM

Actually, considering where computing has come from the 1980's (and even more so since the 50's) we are easily leaps and bounds further ahead today by comparison, and yet the next 15-20 years has some very special things in store for us (computing-wise) provided we can keep the momentum going with transistor shrinking and lower power draws; it's an amazing time to witness history change so quickly due to technology advances!

Don Kosak
Oct 18, 2011, 07:44 PM
Enjoyed it, nice work.

There was no 16 gig original iPhone, just a 4 & 8 gig. I remember this because I paid 599'before they were subsidized for an 8 gig only for the price to drop literally the next week when AT&T started subsidizing them!

I agree. I bought the highest available iPhone on the first day it went on sale. 8gb was the biggest for that model. (I remember standing in a line that wrapped all the way around the mall for that phone...)

16gb didn't come until the iPhone 3G.

dissemin8or
Oct 18, 2011, 08:08 PM
An otherwise awesome and informative video ruined by overzealous speed freaks at the design station.

You can pause the video you know. That's what I did when I wanted to read the full text of a particular "slide."

spblat
Oct 18, 2011, 08:51 PM

It was clearly designed by H5, a french animation firm (http://www.h5.fr/) that's made some unbelievable stuff. This is a re-used concept as posted above:

eo4u4JJAPGk

notjustjay
Oct 18, 2011, 09:23 PM
Does this style of animation have a name or origin? Why does it look so familiar?

mrsir2009
Oct 18, 2011, 10:14 PM
Finally, people are starting to use Vimeo instead of YouTube.
I know YouTube supports HTML5/H.264 but not on all of their videos.

Its great! My MBP barely rises 5 degrees C when watching a Vimeo video, but with a flash YouTube video its 10-20 degrees C :eek:

Plus it seems smoother and more natural ;)

na1577
Oct 18, 2011, 10:16 PM
Enjoyed it, nice work.

I agree. I bought the highest available iPhone on the first day it went on sale. 8gb was the biggest for that model. (I remember standing in a line that wrapped all the way around the mall for that phone...)

16gb didn't come until the iPhone 3G.

Sorry, but you're both incorrect. :)

While there was no 16 GB iPhone at launch, it was added mid-cycle in February 2008 alongside the first 32 GB iPod touch.

Liquorpuki
Oct 18, 2011, 10:41 PM
That was cool

spblat
Oct 19, 2011, 12:26 AM
Does this style of animation have a name or origin? Why does it look so familiar?

Because of this commercial, also by H5?

E3B__ovj2jU

MartiNZ
Oct 19, 2011, 01:29 AM
Sorry, but you're both incorrect. :)

While there was no 16 GB iPhone at launch, it was added mid-cycle in February 2008 alongside the first 32 GB iPod touch.

I was gonna say :D.

As for people wanting it slowed down ... the player has a play/pause button, and I reckon that serves all people better than a much longer video would.

It was a great ride!

stevep
Oct 19, 2011, 03:25 AM
It was clearly designed by H5, a french animation firm (http://www.h5.fr/)

Thanks for that info - I've just watched the 'ecologic' video on their site, and definitely in the same genre. Very good stuff.

ps search for 'logorama' on the iTunes store for some more H5-related stuff

NightFox
Oct 19, 2011, 04:41 AM

Sorry to go off-thread, but in the Röyksopp video at 00.37 doesn't the waste outlet from the toilet run through the hot water cylinder?

Reason077
Oct 19, 2011, 10:51 AM
pretty neat, and thats ALOT of transistors

Although this is a really cool video, many of the facts are incorrect, including the A4's transistor count. A4 might have 32 million transistors, but certainly not 32 billion!

madrag
Oct 19, 2011, 02:22 PM
everything is related :)

BTW, soundJam rules!

WestonHarvey1
Oct 19, 2011, 02:28 PM
What's the point of spending all that time on an animation if you run it so fast nobody has time to read anything? Is it really a video if I have to continually pause it?

---

I've changed my mind somewhat. It seems there is text they want you to read, and text that is more of a stylistic info-filler. The text they want you to read is on the screen long enough to read it. The rest is in a smaller font and zips by.

Still odd.

ohsnap
Oct 19, 2011, 05:48 PM
The only criticism i have is that it was way too fast.

thefourthpope
Oct 19, 2011, 09:47 PM
Awesome vid. I kept picturing old-school Sim City

nubero
Oct 20, 2011, 02:40 AM
Damn, so much information in that video and it was just screaming by. I couldn't look at what they were showing and read it all too. Slow it down!

Exactly. And for that reason it is a bad video, not a good one.

goosnarrggh
Oct 20, 2011, 08:41 AM
Although this is a really cool video, many of the facts are incorrect, including the A4's transistor count. A4 might have 32 million transistors, but certainly not 32 billion!

The A4 is not a CPU, it's a package-on-package stacked system on a chip. If you consider the A4 to also consist of the stacked SDRAM, then it includes at least 256 MB of SDRAM depending on the variant. That's 2 gigabits of SDRAM.

Each individual bit of SDRAM is built on top of a transistor, so an overall A4 system mush have at least 2 billion transistors just for the SDRAM portion of the SoC, before you start considering any other components of the device in the bottom layer of the stack such as graphics accelerator or ARM CPU.

UTclassof89
Oct 24, 2011, 10:56 AM

It was created by UK firm Headspin Media:
"The 3D rotating objects were all created in Softimage XSI, which was then rendered and brought into After Effects, which is where we animated the rest of the video."
(I emailed them and asked)

Timeraner
Oct 24, 2011, 06:22 PM
Amazing, good job!