PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Air 2011 to iMac 2011 to use as docking station

foto-max
Oct 18, 2011, 04:54 PM
I have a 27" iMac 2011 and am going to add a 11" Macbook Air 2011 (both with Thunderbolt ports). I need to resolve the following questions before I jump. All of the below assumes 2011 computers using only Thunderbolt connections:

#1. I am assuming that the iMac can be utilized as an external monitor for the MBA using only the Thunderbolt cable.

#2. Based upon the apparent abilities of the Thunderbolt dispay monitor to act as a "docking station" for the MBA using the Thunderbolt cable, I am assuming that any peripheral attached to the iMac (including Thunderbolt peripherals) will be accessible to the Macbook Air via the Thunderbolt cable alone. I am assuming that no other cables connecting the iMac and Macbook Air (other than the Thunderbolt cable) would be required to access USB peripherals, Firewire peripherals, Thunderbolt peripherals, network access, etc. that would be attached to the iMac. In other words, any peripheral attached to the iMac (including Ethernet network) would be accessible to the Macbook Air via only the Thunderbolt cable alone?????

#3. If the MBA 2011 would not be up to this task, is there any 2011 Thunderbolt Apple portable that would be?

digitalhen
Oct 19, 2011, 07:18 AM
I have a 27" iMac 2011 and am going to add a 11" Macbook Air 2011 (both with Thunderbolt ports). I need to resolve the following questions before I jump. All of the below assumes 2011 computers using only Thunderbolt connections:

#1. I am assuming that the iMac can be utilized as an external monitor for the MBA using only the Thunderbolt cable.

#2. Based upon the apparent abilities of the Thunderbolt dispay monitor to act as a "docking station" for the MBA using the Thunderbolt cable, I am assuming that any peripheral attached to the iMac (including Thunderbolt peripherals) will be accessible to the Macbook Air via the Thunderbolt cable alone. I am assuming that no other cables connecting the iMac and Macbook Air (other than the Thunderbolt cable) would be required to access USB peripherals, Firewire peripherals, Thunderbolt peripherals, network access, etc. that would be attached to the iMac. In other words, any peripheral attached to the iMac (including Ethernet network) would be accessible to the Macbook Air via only the Thunderbolt cable alone?????

#3. If the MBA 2011 would not be up to this task, is there any 2011 Thunderbolt Apple portable that would be?

#1 Yes, I believe so.

#2 The iMac will just be a screen. Every other port will be still connected to the iMac.

#3 Every report I've seen says it's more than up to the job.

foto-max
Oct 19, 2011, 07:52 AM
#1 Yes, I believe so.

#2 The iMac will just be a screen. Every other port will be still connected to the iMac.

#3 Every report I've seen says it's more than up to the job.

If what you say is correct, then I'm confused why Apple would not utilize the iMac as a "docking station" as they do with the Thunderbolt display. This would be a tremendous game changer in using their series of laptops/notebooks with Thunderbolt connections. The obvious problem with the Thunderbolt display (other than the cost) is that it is a "dumb" terminal display collecting dust waiting to be connected to a CPU.