PDA

View Full Version : Browser Wars

Chaszmyr
Oct 8, 2002, 11:50 AM
I just can't win! I have every mac browser i know of (Cunning, Chimera, Mozilla, Opera, OmniWeb, Netscape, and IE), and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM doesnt work on atleast on webpage i visit frequently. Omniweb is my favorite... but it has the most severe problem with it... So I end up using Cunning the most, but I still have to switch back to IE sometimes. When will someone make an OSX browser that just works?!

edesignuk
Oct 8, 2002, 12:22 PM
What won't work with Chimera (v0.5), I have alomost no problems with it, if I have any problem (can't remember the last time I did) IE normally does the job (without stopping those damn popups though! God bless Chimera!).

segastyle
Oct 8, 2002, 12:47 PM
where the hec kdoes one find Cunning? i did a search on versiontracker and came up with nothing.......

RBMaraman
Oct 8, 2002, 01:20 PM
I used to use IE, then I heard a ton of great things about Chimera, so I downloaded it. Within one day I made it my default browser. I am amazed with its speed. It gets better with each nightly update. I hope Apple bases a browser off of Chimera. If they did, it would rock!

TheT
Oct 8, 2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by segastyle
where the hec kdoes one find Cunning? i did a search on versiontracker and came up with nothing.......
http://www.concepthause.com/dev/
... if it wasn't so damn buggy.
It is my default browser, but it still suck cause of the bugs. In my opinion, Chimera is the best, but Cunning looks better :D
For actually viewing everything right, you need IE, though it sucks... every Mozilla browser i.e. doesn't show the iframe-tag correctly...though it's a standard and not MS-made :mad:

Kid Red
Oct 8, 2002, 02:08 PM
Wow, Cunning looks promising.

edesignuk
Oct 8, 2002, 02:13 PM
Oh dear, I've just downloaded Cunning, but the damn thing terminates as it's launching....think I'll stick with good old Chimera ;)

TheT
Oct 8, 2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Oh dear, I've just downloaded Cunning, but the damn thing terminates as it's launching....think I'll stick with good old Chimera ;)
Hhm, weird, never happened to me. You might wanna reboot, cause since Cunning basically is Chimera, they use they same libraries, maybe there's a conflict because your Navigator files are stored in the RAM :confused:
But it shouldn't be a problem, I run Chimera and Cunning at the same time, and the only problem is that the Internet Preferences are always set to the browser that launched first :rolleyes:

boobers
Oct 8, 2002, 02:27 PM
probably one of the nicest looking browsers out there but is also the buggiest piece of crap there is.

Biggles
Oct 8, 2002, 02:53 PM
i've tried chimera, but i always go back to mozilla....just a more complete browser

TheT
Oct 8, 2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Biggles
i've tried chimera, but i always go back to mozilla....just a more complete browser
Yeah, taking longer to start up, slower, ugly and with tons of stuff I don't need :rolleyes:

beez7777
Oct 8, 2002, 05:15 PM
omniweb is my favorite, i think it looks the coolest, and even tho there there are a little bit more bugs than chimera, its just as fast

ryme4reson
Oct 8, 2002, 05:19 PM
After reading this thread for the first time, I decided to try out the newest nightly build of Chimera (which would not open)
Somehow I opened explorer in classic and I have to say, it is much faster than anything that is OSX native (Even running from Classic)
I have a quick machine (By Apple standards) and plenty of ram so running classic is not rough for me, but I encourge other to try it out and share what you think.
When you open explorer(Classic) twice, the second time is immediate, no splash screen, just the page. No matter how many times you open explorer in OSX, you always wait 2 seconds for the splash screen, and then another 5 seconds for the page, what a waste...

Biggles
Oct 8, 2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by TheT

Yeah, taking longer to start up, slower, ugly and with tons of stuff I don't need :rolleyes:

How about it scrolls much faster than chimera on an old machine (400mhz iMac). Chimera can't scroll smoothly at all on my machine. Mozilla also allows me to hold the mouse button down and bring up a contextual menu to open new tabs w/out using the keyboard on links. Also, Mozilla's preferences are much more informative and detailed.

Granted these a small arguments, but the scrolling and contextual menu issues are important enough to me

TheT
Oct 9, 2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Biggles

How about it scrolls much faster than chimera on an old machine (400mhz iMac). Chimera can't scroll smoothly at all on my machine. Mozilla also allows me to hold the mouse button down and bring up a contextual menu to open new tabs w/out using the keyboard on links. Also, Mozilla's preferences are much more informative and detailed.

Granted these a small arguments, but the scrolling and contextual menu issues are important enough to me
Okay, I have to agree with you on that scrolling-issue, I'm sitting in front of a iMac DV SE, too...
as far as the contextual menu... I have a more-than-one button mouse, so that's no problem for me.
I think it's all just personal opinion, and it depends on what you need... I guess most of the (maybe not-experienced) mac users are totally fine with IE as well... :rolleyes:

blackpeter
Oct 9, 2002, 02:14 PM
I only care about appearances. That's why I use Cunning!

But seriously folks... I can't get over the untra cool "skin" that Cunning brings to the Chimera game. And IME (in my experience) it's only a little buggier than Chimera 0.5. I've been using it as my primary for about 2 weeks now.

Taft
Oct 9, 2002, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure if any of you work for a company that uses exchange for their mail server. If so, the standard way to hit the mail from home is via webmail. The interface they use via the web heavily utilizes javascript and MS specific DHTML. This means most web browsers outside of IE won't render the pages correctly.

So I know of at least one site that won't render web pages correctly. (Note that I put blame squarely on MS's shoulders for this one, though. Chimera is a very standards compliant browser. There is no excuse for this.)

Taft

Snert-a-Gert
Oct 10, 2002, 12:28 AM
Chas,

Can you give us the link to this site you talk about? I'll bet itís not the browser. Itís probably the crappy coded web page. Give me the link and I'll go look for ya.

If I win this bet, can I get some answers on why people think certain web browsers are crap? If all web designers adhered to proper html standards, we wouldn't have any (well maybe a few) problems with any browser. As a site designer myself, I just don't understand why people bark at the browser when its usually the code in the web page.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry about the rant...show us the link!

Chaszmyr
Oct 10, 2002, 12:34 AM
Actually its a personal site, so i would rather not give out the URL. But its a Movable Type (if you know what that is) that uses cascading style sheets.

Snert-a-Gert
Oct 10, 2002, 12:45 AM
Well, OK...that's not going to let me win my bet. How about this:

Go here http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/ and tell me if it does the same thing. If it does, it would be the browser (especially faulty in IE). If no problems arise from that page,I'll stick to my original bet.

And I wanted my post count to stay at 2.

King Cobra
Oct 10, 2002, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Snert-a-Gert
If I win this bet, can I get some answers on why people think certain web browsers are crap?

I'll try to help you if you try to quit gambling. :rolleyes:

Many various browsers are affected by various type of circumstances, from your computer, to the web content, to how well built a browser is.

First, your computer: People using slower computers may find that "heavy" browsers, or feature-filled browsers that take a long time to load, will often crash on them or act inappropriately. I've had this happen more than often with Netscape 6.2 and my iMac 233. Luckily, Mozilla has showed promising for that.

Second, the web content: Remember that the rev. of Netscape (version 6) did not support flash entirely, so you had to use a different browser. Sometimes this still occurs for different reasons on the newer browsers, probably because the app is not built to fully give support to flash or other plugins, to where it may concern in relation to a specific site.

Third, a browser build: Chimera is really a browser in testing, hence the 0.xx version number. So there may be probems with Chimera under various circumstances as well.

Many people that side with Mozilla say that it works fast for them. I personally need the absolute fastest browser possible, since I'm stuck in dial-up world. :( Mozilla has offered me crashes only when checking my email, so I use the program Mail for that now. :) I guess that crashes would be more associated with how heavy a browser is in some way or another.

Other prefer Internet Explorer (IE) since it either provides the most stability, works well in page rendering, supports flash, or what have you. Personally, I have found IE to load pages slower than Mozilla, but also not crash as often as Mozilla.

There may be other factors as well, such as connection to the internet, memory cache, etc., but I'm not too sure how those come into play.

The browser war may never have an end, and you can see why. :D

Snert-a-Gert
Oct 10, 2002, 09:49 AM
King - I hear ya loud and clear on the faults of the browser. I am thinking that the page chas is looking at was coded incorrectly. I was reading something the other day in these forums, where people where complaing how bad Mozilla was. The problem wasn't mozilla, it was the html that the web site operator was making. For example:

IE lets little things like leaving off ending tags in the code, go through. Other browsers do not. Some people write their code that only IE will render. When people go to that site with another browser, and can't view it correctly, they blame it on the browser and not the code. This P's me off! I use Mozilla exclusively (IE when checking for compatibility). Mozilla is a great browser! I actualy haven't had it crash on me yet. IE 5.2 on the other hand does have a fluke in it. When viewing some secure pages, it won't let you through.

As for the gambling, I have been to a 12 step program but it hasn't seemed to work yet.

jthrasher
Oct 11, 2002, 09:59 AM
I just downloaded both skins of the Cunning Browser and I oculdn't get the metal one to load. Whn I start it up it just loads the Aqua. Anybody else have the same problam? Any solution

Doctor Q
Oct 11, 2002, 01:22 PM
I avoid Internet Explorer except when it is necessary for a particular web site, based on vague fears that, unless I set all my settings carefully, and check them after each program update, I.E. will give out my identity to web servers, accept cookies I don't want, store my credit card numbers in its cache, secretly send information to Microsoft about me or my hardware and software, direct me to sites of Microsoft and its partners when I do searches, and open up security holes on my machine unless I install patches every 2 hours.

How real are any of these worries about Internet Explorer?

Do these concerns apply to the other web browsers as well?