Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The old $90 DVD player broke, so my dad went out and got a blu-ray player. We still have a CRT TV, so we can't benifit from it, but its one less thing to buy when the CRT dies :D Anyway, there's a single USB port on the front of the Blu-Ray player, and I'm just wondering what its for?

BTW its quite a high end player, it has media centre features built in and special internet services etc... If that helps:eek:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Unless the Blu-ray player has built-in 802.11g/n Wi-Fi support including antenna, that USB port is where you plug in the Wi-Fi adapter. In fact, that's where I plug in the 802.11n Wi-Fi adapter for my Sony BDP-S370 player so I could get firmware updates and access streaming video services like Netflix and Amazon's streaming video service.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
Why didn't you just get a PS3? Then you could have FOUR USB ports!!

But seriously, why'd you buy a stand alone player instead of a PS3?

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Why didn't you just get a PS3? Then you could have FOUR USB ports!!

But seriously, why'd you buy a stand alone player instead of a PS3?

for true 1080p 3d capability thru hdmi 1.4? no ps3 so far has 1.4 for the support of 1080p hd. and the usb port on your bluray player is for listening music , watching vids thru the player by storing the vids and music on the usb drive.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Every electronic device must have some kind of access port according to FCC regulations.

It's a law. That's probably why your Blu-Ray player has a USB port.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
for true 1080p 3d capability thru hdmi 1.4? no ps3 so far has 1.4 for the support of 1080p hd. and the usb port on your bluray player is for listening music , watching vids thru the player by storing the vids and music on the usb drive.

GOD DAMMIT I just bought another PS3 to play blu rays at home, and was hoping you'd be all like "Yo, listen to Sankersizzle that guy is rad" rather than telling me why the blu ray player was better...

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Cool... So instead of putting in a disk to watch a movie I can plug in a flash drive with the movie on it? :)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Not sure about yours', but when I plug a USB storage device into my bluray player I can play almost any type of video and music file. This is the reason I sold my 1st gen Apple TV.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Cool... So instead of putting in a disk to watch a movie I can plug in a flash drive with the movie on it? :)

Yep. Or even an external hard drive, which is what I do. And I'm not positive you can do it, I guess it depends on the bluray player you have.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Well, my BluRay player has a media centre button on the main menu... But when I click on it it says "Sorry, you aren't connected to the internet". But if I plugged my external hard disk in, which contains movies and TV shows, I could click on the media centre button and I'd be able to browse the drive and watch stuff off it, correct?

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff... Been using cassete tapes for most of my life :eek:

----------

Not at all. Read the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

But, wait.... My old DVD player didn't have a USB port? :eek:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Well, my BluRay player has a media centre button on the main menu... But when I click on it it says "Sorry, you aren't connected to the internet". But if I plugged my external hard disk in, which contains movies and TV shows, I could click on the media centre button and I'd be able to browse the drive and watch stuff off it, correct?

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff... Been using cassete tapes for most of my life :eek:

----------

But, wait.... My old DVD player didn't have a USB port? :eek:

If it was made after 1996 it has some kind of external access to it.Doesn't have to be a USB port.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that's the only reason it has a port.
All I'm saying is the DMCA required some kind of external access.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If it was made after 1996 it has some kind of external access to it.Doesn't have to be a USB port.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that's the only reason it has a port.
All I'm saying is the DMCA required some kind of external access.

Why is it required to have external access?

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I dunno about anybody else, but on my player, if I want to access any of the Bluray 2.0 features, e.g. websites, I need to plug in a USB key for storage, as the player does not have any long term storage of its own.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

PS3's can play 1080 3D Bluray over 1.3. There was a system update last year that enabled it.
I can't find any source clarifying if its progressive or interlaced, though.

Last edited:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Did you try reading the manual? :rolleyes:

Some players use it for storage for BD-Live content. Others use it for WiFi, others use it to play media files, and some might not use it at all. The manual should clear that up.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Some players use it for storage for BD-Live content. Others use it for WiFi, others use it to play media files, and some might not use it at all. The manual should clear that up.

Actually, players that meet the BD-Live spec MUST have 1 GB of on-player storage--you can't "fudge" it by storing the BD-Live data on an external flash drive connected via the USB port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.