Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
One bad thing I've discovered about the new iCloud site is that I can't access it on our Gov't/Military network overseas due it's site description being "Online Storage". MobileMe worked fine for some reason but iCloud get's no love from the DoD.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Basically, I ain't installing s*** on these computers. Even though they are unclassified computers as well as the network they are so restricted that if you plug in anything into the USB ports, someone is immediately notified and the computer is locked and MP's will be at your door shortly there after.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

There have been work arounds to get access to sites like YouTube using Firefox, assuming the IT's haven't locked it down. In EUCOM we had this work around. But as far as I could tell, every proxy server availale on the Internet is locked down. Pointless to try that route.

----------

Most federal agencies, including DoD, have restrictions on what software can be installed on machines for official business.

Really? What do you know about the DOD? I'm guessing squat.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Really? What do you know about the DOD? I'm guessing squat.

Considering how big of an employer DoD is (and the government in general), it's not really that far fetched that he would actually know something about its policy on installing programs without authorization. Especially since it's such a common practice to restrict this in any company with more than a handful of employees, it would be quite shocking if the muffertucking DoD let people install stuff without clearing it first.

What are you, a fifteen year old hater?

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
You could contact you comm squadron to get it reclassified. Current policy is for email and social sites to NOT be blocked.

At least this is the case in PACAF but I believe this is the case worldwide for all branches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.