PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct method of unplugging my power adapter?

rokey
Oct 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
I have a MacBook Air and frequently take it from one room to another. Sometimes it is in the process of charging when I am ready to switch rooms.

Is it safe to just unplug from the wall, leaving the MagSafe connection in tack? Or should I disconnect the MagSafe, then unplug from the wall?

TheRealDamager
Oct 19, 2011, 09:00 AM
I dont think it matters at all.

r.j.s
Oct 19, 2011, 09:01 AM
Doesn't matter either way ... unplug it however you like.

Personally, I unplug my MBP and leave the adapter until the battery is almost dead.

GGJstudios
Oct 19, 2011, 09:05 AM
You can plug or unplug at any time, and it doesn't matter whether you unplug from the Mac or the wall first. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

Risasi
Oct 19, 2011, 09:15 AM
I unplug it with "style"...

vitzr
Oct 19, 2011, 09:20 AM
Grab the cord & yank hard :)

Risasi
Oct 19, 2011, 09:34 AM
This is starting to remind me of a "how do you eat your Reese's Peanut Butter cup" commercial...

:)

grapes911
Oct 19, 2011, 01:30 PM
Years ago when I had a PowerBook, a Mac genius told me to never plug the power cord into the computer when it's not plugged into the wall. He said when the computer has the power cord plugged in, it expects to receive power and it can cause long-term problems otherwise. Personally I think this sounds like complete crap both now and then, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

Nioxic
Oct 19, 2011, 01:37 PM
Years ago when I had a PowerBook, a Mac genius told me to never plug the power cord into the computer when it's not plugged into the wall. He said when the computer has the power cord plugged in, it expects to receive power and it can cause long-term problems otherwise. Personally I think this sounds like complete crap both now and then, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

must have been back in the 80s

grapes911
Oct 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
must have been back in the 80s

2004-ish.

GGJstudios
Oct 19, 2011, 02:34 PM
Personally I think this sounds like complete crap both now and then,
Absolutely. Just another example of proof that "Genius" is their job title, not an indication of their intelligence, knowledge or experience!