Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rokey

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
NC
I have a MacBook Air and frequently take it from one room to another. Sometimes it is in the process of charging when I am ready to switch rooms.

Is it safe to just unplug from the wall, leaving the MagSafe connection in tack? Or should I disconnect the MagSafe, then unplug from the wall?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Doesn't matter either way ... unplug it however you like.

Personally, I unplug my MBP and leave the adapter until the battery is almost dead.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
This is starting to remind me of a "how do you eat your Reese's Peanut Butter cup" commercial...

:)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Years ago when I had a PowerBook, a Mac genius told me to never plug the power cord into the computer when it's not plugged into the wall. He said when the computer has the power cord plugged in, it expects to receive power and it can cause long-term problems otherwise. Personally I think this sounds like complete crap both now and then, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
Years ago when I had a PowerBook, a Mac genius told me to never plug the power cord into the computer when it's not plugged into the wall. He said when the computer has the power cord plugged in, it expects to receive power and it can cause long-term problems otherwise. Personally I think this sounds like complete crap both now and then, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

must have been back in the 80s

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Personally I think this sounds like complete crap both now and then,
Absolutely. Just another example of proof that "Genius" is their job title, not an indication of their intelligence, knowledge or experience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.