PDA

View Full Version : Find my Phone on 3G?

foulmouthedleon
Oct 19, 2011, 09:34 AM
I'll cut to the chase - my teenage step son has been giving my wife and I a lot of headaches over the past several months. He's got a 3G and I think it'd be a wise move on our part(s) to see if we could install the "Find my Phone" app on his phone. First, is this possible? And second, would we be able to "track" him with this feature?

All moral issues aside, please. The kid lies with every breath he takes - I'd at least like to know where he is from time to time.

Thanks for any and all help you can offer.

wrinkster22
Oct 19, 2011, 09:38 AM
I THINK:
1) go to app store
2) download app find my iPhone
3) go to settings
4) go to mail, contacts, etc
5) turn on find my iPhone
6) launch app
7) enter apple id
8) follow onscreen directions
9) hide the app so he can't see it!

foulmouthedleon
Oct 19, 2011, 09:41 AM
Ok, I can give that a try. This is all via his phone, correct? And we'd have to somehow embed the app in one of his folders so that he didn't realize it was there? The app has to be launched for us to do anything, right? So say if he powered it down and then back up again, the app would have to be re-launched?

wrinkster22
Oct 19, 2011, 09:49 AM
Ok, I can give that a try. This is all via his phone, correct? And we'd have to somehow embed the app in one of his folders so that he didn't realize it was there? The app has to be launched for us to do anything, right? So say if he powered it down and then back up again, the app would have to be re-launched?

this is all on his phone, Tell him you need it because of "maintenance" The app does not need to be relaunched, once it is installed it is on! unless he disables location services.. but you can set up restrictions. I would bury the app.

foulmouthedleon
Oct 19, 2011, 09:51 AM
Ah. Sneaky. I like this. This'll show him! Of course once we call him out on it, I'm sure he'll figure it all out but still...:cool:

AdrianK
Oct 19, 2011, 09:52 AM
The "Find my iPhone" app is for looking up the locations of devices, Find my iPhone itself is built in to iOS 4.2 and up (the last update the 3G received). You then need to sign in with a .me account (or possibly iCloud, I would have thought an update to the settings app would be required for this though) on the device. I believe you can also set a restriction (that's in settings) so that Find my iPhone can't be disabled (adjusting restrictions requires a pin, I am not sure if this is the same as the lock screen passcode).