Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
that in order for wifi sync to work the PC ALSO has to be connected to the network WIRELESSLY? (not with a cable to the wireless router) ????

I havent managed to get wifi sync to work yet and my pc is connected to my network via cable

thanks

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
My Mac is connected to my network via Ethernet and I've had no problems.

achtungfemme

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
I am having the same problem. My iphone is not wifi syncing. It doesn't even show up in itunes via wifi sync. I have turned on the sync function in both itunes and on the phone itself. I have Windows XP. Is that the problem? Because I jnow photostream doesn't work eith XP right?

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
ok so what is going wrong then :(

i have ticked all the boxes and synced manually with the cable but after i disconnect the cable the phone goes off itunes and when i try to sync through the phone its greyed out :(

----------

there is an option in itunes/preferences/devices that talks about the iDevices syncing automatically and i dont allow that. maybe thats the problem?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
ok so what is going wrong then :(

i have ticked all the boxes and synced manually with the cable but after i disconnect the cable the phone goes off itunes and when i try to sync through the phone its greyed out :(

----------

there is an option in itunes/preferences/devices that talks about the iDevices syncing automatically and i dont allow that. maybe thats the problem?

So you checked the "sync this with Wi-Fi" box in the Summary page in iTunes? If you've done this, there isn't much else you can do other than restore as new.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
So you checked the "sync this with Wi-Fi" box in the Summary page in iTunes? If you've done this, there isn't much else you can do other than restore as new.

nooo i have too many apps and app data to restore it as new :(

i have reset all network settings and data though, it didnt help

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
edit.. you already answered what I originally posted about.

Since you're using a PC. Do you have any kind of antivirus or firewall setup?

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010

kaspersky 2012 antivirus

i have made sure that itunes is not block from my firewall

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
The router definitely matters. Some routers won't play nice with Apple's Bonjour when moving from WiFi to LAN and back. Mine was one of them. I have a run-of-the-mill Belkin "Play" WiFi router and until a couple of months ago, it wouldn't route "iTraffic" - I could ping any device I wanted to, but the Apple devices wouldn't communicate with each other when crossing from LAN to WiFi or back.

Belkin eventually released newer firmware for the router, and after I applied that, everything worked as it should.

So it might be your router - and newer firmware might fix it. I wasn't willing to give up the LAN connection on my PC (I have a Windows server, and a 1Gbps LAN, that my PC needs to talk to). So going WiFi on the PC wasn't what I wanted to do. That is always an option though, if you have no luck with a router firmware update.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

This. From Apple:

"If you have a firewall enabled in your router or computer, make sure that the firewall is not blocking communication between your computer and iOS device. In order to use the built-in firewall option with iTunes on your Mac, follow the directions in this article. For non-Apple firewalls and security software, refer to the developer/manufacturer for assistance.

Note: Mac computers use port 123 to set the date and time automatically. Incorrect date and time on a computer or iOS device can cause issues for connections in general.

If you are unsure if your router has a firewall or if the required ports are open, do the following to help isolate the issue:

Enable Wi-Fi Syncing for additional iOS devices on your network to see if they have the same issue. (See the steps above for info on how to enable Wi-Fi Syncing for these additional devices).
Test your device on a different network. If the device works on another network, the issue most likely exists with your router or network configuration. Contact your router manufacturer or Internet service provider for additional troubleshooting.

If you use another security or firewall software on your computer or router, follow iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues, contact the manufacturer, or check the documentation on how to open TCP ports 123 and 3689, as well as UDP ports 123 and 5353."

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
The router definitely matters. Some routers won't play nice with Apple's Bonjour when moving from WiFi to LAN and back. Mine was one of them. I have a run-of-the-mill Belkin "Play" WiFi router and until a couple of months ago, it wouldn't route "iTraffic" - I could ping any device I wanted to, but the Apple devices wouldn't communicate with each other when crossing from LAN to WiFi or back.

Belkin eventually released newer firmware for the router, and after I applied that, everything worked as it should.

So it might be your router - and newer firmware might fix it. I wasn't willing to give up the LAN connection on my PC (I have a Windows server, and a 1Gbps LAN, that my PC needs to talk to). So going WiFi on the PC wasn't what I wanted to do. That is always an option though, if you have no luck with a router firmware update.

my router is provided from the isp i dont think there is a newer firmware out. im on the same boat as you. Not willing to sacrifice the wired connection of my pc for wireless syncing but it would be good to have it :(

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
my router is provided from the isp i dont think there is a newer firmware out. im on the same boat as you. Not willing to sacrifice the wired connection of my pc for wireless syncing but it would be good to have it :(

You may need to open some ports on it. Check my above post for what ports need to be open.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
You may need to open some ports on it. Check my above post for what ports need to be open.

great , i needed to open ports for utorrent and call of duty, maybe this will need some too.

will try and let you know

thanks

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
great , i needed to open ports for utorrent and call of duty, maybe this will need some too.

will try and let you know

thanks

Go through the Apple support link I posted. It has some great steps of things to check.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Opening ports won't work. The router firewall & port forwarding is for letting external traffic onto your local network. The WiFi and LAN are both already on the local network (Same IP subnet in most cases too), so traffic between the two local interfaces doesn't pass through the router firewall. You could try a router reboot, but honestly it might be that the router can't pass Bonjour traffic between the LAN and WiFi. If you have a PC on WiFi and another on the LAN, both with iTunes, try sharing a library on one and see if it shows up on the other. That was my first clue that my router was the culprit.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Opening ports won't work. The router firewall & port forwarding is for letting external traffic onto your local network. The WiFi and LAN are both already on the local network (Same IP subnet in most cases too), so traffic between the two local interfaces doesn't pass through the router firewall. You could try a router reboot, but honestly it might be that the router can't pass Bonjour traffic between the LAN and WiFi. If you have a PC on WiFi and another on the LAN, both with iTunes, try sharing a library on one and see if it shows up on the other. That was my first clue that my router was the culprit.

Then why does Apple state certain ports need to be open? That's why I suggested it.

cant seem to find the link

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4062

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.