Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So I'm basically looking for an app that I can install on my iPhone, be able to plug it into iTunes, and transfer video right to the iPhone without having to convert anything. I know there was a VLC app that did just this, but Apple pulled it. Is there an app that can do that? I'm running 5.0, not jailbroken. Thanks!!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
So I'm basically looking for an app that I can install on my iPhone, be able to plug it into iTunes, and transfer video right to the iPhone without having to convert anything. I know there was a VLC app that did just this, but Apple pulled it. Is there an app that can do that? I'm running 5.0, not jailbroken. Thanks!!

Even if you find an app in the App Store, the video still has to be in .mov, .mp4, .mpv format (this limitation also applied to the VLC app that was pulled) and .avi (iPad only).

The iPhone can't decode any other format.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Even if you find an app in the App Store, the video still has to be in .mov, .mp4, .mpv format (this limitation also applied to the VLC app that was pulled) and .avi (iPad only).

The iPhone can't decode any other format.

IIRC, AVPlayer HD plays about anything I've thrown at it including .mkv files
At least it does on my iPad2...LOVE that app...

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
I've been using GoodPlayer for quite a while, and it plays everything I've tried with it. It gets continuous updates. Not free, but I think $2.99 is a bargain for what you get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.