PDA

View Full Version : Can't upload TIFF to Photo Stream from Aperture 3.2

sebascrub
Oct 19, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been playing around in iCloud for the past couple days and so far, I've been loving it. I've been able to get most everything to work as it should, except for Photo Stream uploads from Aperture. Whenever I try to upload TIFF files to Photo Stream, I get the error message that says that only RAW, TIFF or JPG files are accepted and/or the file is too big.

The Aperture manual on the Apple site says that Photo Stream accepts TIFFs up to 100MB large, which mine are not (biggest is about 35MB). Searching around the web seems to bring up little advice.

After some random testing, I noticed that it was only specific TIFF files that were being blocked, namely those that start out as NEF files (shooting with a D5000) and are then run into Nik Software (usually Silver Efex Pro 2). When I use a .jpg from my camera as the base for the conversion, I can upload the resultant TIFF file, no problem even when they're roughly the same size!

There's obviously something happening in the conversion from NEF to TIFF by Nik that is making Aperture/Photo Stream not recognize it. Anyone else run into this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Octopus
Oct 27, 2011, 12:13 PM
I've noticed a similar issue. Files edited with Nik software are not showing up as TIFF in the Medtadata tab in Aperture and filtering to show TIFF files isn't showing new files I have edited recently. I believe this has happened since the last Aperture update.

Did you find out what was causing the issue for you as it seems our two problems are related

sebascrub
Oct 27, 2011, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't figured it out, yet. I've narrowed it down to the problem you describe that, somehow, the tiffs generated from RAW through Nik Software are not being recognized as normal tiffs by Aperture. What a strange problem!

Keleko
Oct 27, 2011, 05:43 PM
I ran into this same problem with Topaz TIFF files last night. Is it possible that the size of the file is the problem? I noticed in the dialog that it also mentioned "file too big" as a possible problem along with the format.

sebascrub
Oct 27, 2011, 07:20 PM
I ran into this same problem with Topaz TIFF files last night. Is it possible that the size of the file is the problem? I noticed in the dialog that it also mentioned "file too big" as a possible problem along with the format.

That's what I thought, but I've been able to upload bigger RAW photos than some of the TIFFs that are giving me trouble. I assume Aperture downscales them beforehand, but it doesn't seem to want to do it for TIFFs that came from a plug-in.

Octopus
Oct 28, 2011, 09:12 PM
I dont think it's the size of the tiffs as the ones before the 3.2 update are still recognised. I am now beginning to think its a compatibility bug with Aperture 3.2 that Nik need to resolve. Has anyone contacted them over this?

sebascrub
Oct 31, 2011, 02:03 PM
Urggg, still no fix with the latest update to Aperture... running 3.2.1 and I still get the silly error.