Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Hey:

I have an off-contract USA GSM iPhone 4S with a T-Mobile microsim, and I am having some trouble initiating iMessages to other iOS 5 owners. I have iMessages fully activated, and I have no trouble receiving iMessages nor replying back.

My trouble stems from trying to initiate an iMessage to a new email address. For example, if I am in messages.app, and I want to initiate the new iMessage, I would tap the top-right icon and type their email address in. However, even though I have plenty of email addresses in my contacts.app, no email address will popup; I can only tap names and get their cell phone numbers in the "To:" line.

I can still initiate an iMessage (the long way) by tapping on the arrow next to their name in contacts.app, tapping on "send message," tapping their email address, and composing and sending the iMessage. The strange thing is that messages.app will put "fakeatfakecom" (without the "@" symbol and ".") in the "To:" field instead of simply "fake@fake.com".

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

[Apparently, if I have the cellular data toggle in the "off" position, the email addresses do not come up in the compose screen. However, if I enable cellular data, the email address DO appear. I hope it's a bug that can be fixed in a future release]

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.