PDA

View Full Version : Still Enjoying 12-inch Powerbook

powerbook911
Oct 20, 2011, 01:10 AM
The passing of Steve has gotten me a bit sentimental about the older Apple products. Therefore, the past few days I have been using my 12-inch Powerbook G4 a bit more. I even ordered a new battery from Apple's website. The batteries for these things have always been terrible. Pretty much useless after one year. This will likely be the last time they still sell a genuine one. They sent me one, that is over two years old though! ha. Might not keep it.

Anyway, it sure is still a nice little machine. Looks gorgeous still and it has been used so little, it's in really nice condition. I got it in February 2005 right after the January 2005 update and the 12-inch was never updated after that even though they kept selling it until Spring 2006 when the white MacBook finally came out.

It is the 1.5 GHZ G4 with Super Drive, and I have it at the max 1.25 GB of RAM. Sure wish Apple had put 512 on the soldered bit so that it could have 1.5 GB total like the later iBooks.

The RAM and 5400 old hard drive hold it back the most I think, but I'm not about to tear it apart to put in a SSD. ha.

It's so slow to just open Safari in Leopard, but not too bad once it's running. Amazing to think iPhone 4S is quicker than this thing while being much cooler and efficient too.

It was a solid little computer though for its time. The first year I used it with my 20-inch Cinema Display as my primary computer. Surely, under Panther and Tiger it might have been a bit speedier. After all, the first six months I believe I only had 768MB of RAM.

I hope I can keep it going so that every few months I can continue to pull it out and see how its doing.

Until the 11-inch Air last year, this little guy never really had a proper successor.

Thank you PowerBook G4.

Who else still has a place in their heart for the 12-inch PowerBooks?

FourCandles
Oct 20, 2011, 07:09 AM
I have the identical model and love it. Still turns heads when I open it up. I've always preferred the aluminium keyboards of the PowerBooks and early MBPs.

Just plucking up the courage to open it up and clear the dust out / reapply thermal paste, as I reckon it would run a bit cooler if so.

AQUADock
Oct 20, 2011, 07:37 AM
I still use my 12" powerbook daily, they really were great machines for their time and your right that 5400 rpm drive really slows it down.

kellen
Oct 20, 2011, 08:06 AM
Just got rid of mine. Was exactly like yours. Even with click to flash and most settings turned off, it was showing its age.

I could have made it work, but got a good deal on a unibody alum. MacBook.

got 225 for it off Craigslist.

eyoungren
Oct 20, 2011, 09:12 AM
The passing of Steve has gotten me a bit sentimental about the older Apple products. Therefore, the past few days I have been using my 12-inch Powerbook G4 a bit more. I even ordered a new battery from Apple's website. The batteries for these things have always been terrible. Pretty much useless after one year. This will likely be the last time they still sell a genuine one. They sent me one, that is over two years old though! ha. Might not keep it.

Anyway, it sure is still a nice little machine. Looks gorgeous still and it has been used so little, it's in really nice condition. I got it in February 2005 right after the January 2005 update and the 12-inch was never updated after that even though they kept selling it until Spring 2006 when the white MacBook finally came out.

It is the 1.5 GHZ G4 with Super Drive, and I have it at the max 1.25 GB of RAM. Sure wish Apple had put 512 on the soldered bit so that it could have 1.5 GB total like the later iBooks.

The RAM and 5400 old hard drive hold it back the most I think, but I'm not about to tear it apart to put in a SSD. ha.

It's so slow to just open Safari in Leopard, but not too bad once it's running. Amazing to think iPhone 4S is quicker than this thing while being much cooler and efficient too.

It was a solid little computer though for its time. The first year I used it with my 20-inch Cinema Display as my primary computer. Surely, under Panther and Tiger it might have been a bit speedier. After all, the first six months I believe I only had 768MB of RAM.

I hope I can keep it going so that every few months I can continue to pull it out and see how its doing.

Until the 11-inch Air last year, this little guy never really had a proper successor.

Thank you PowerBook G4.

My wife has a 12" PB. I bought it off eBay with a broken screen for $50. Same day I put down $25 for a 12" PB screen on eBay. The screen got here first so I had to wait for the Mac. But once the Mac got here I swapped the screen out. Took the opportunity to put my wife's 250GB inside as well. The battery it came with works just fine (better than the older one's in my 17" PBs).

Just a question. Why would you pay Apple for an expensive two year old battery when there are many third party batteries that are new and are just as good or better than the original Apple battery and far less expensive?

wrinkster22
Oct 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
Glad to hear you still enjoy your powerbook. Stories like this make me wonder what my macbook air will be like in 5 years.
I read that someone on this forum totally beefed up a powerbook. They gutted it and put an intel CPU in, put a high res screen, and got like 2gb of ram.

powerbook911
Oct 20, 2011, 09:33 AM
Just a question. Why would you pay Apple for an expensive two year old battery when there are many third party batteries that are new and are just as good or better than the original Apple battery and far less expensive?

I tried the NuTech or whatever it's called that OWC had a few years ago and it wouldn't physically go in the machine. It was cut wrong or something and didn't really "match" aestetically. That made me skeptical of third party batteries.

----------

Glad to hear you still enjoy your powerbook. Stories like this make me wonder what my macbook air will be like in 5 years.
I read that someone on this forum totally beefed up a powerbook. They gutted it and put an intel CPU in, put a high res screen, and got like 2gb of ram.

Sounds like you have the 2011 Air. You got it at a good time with the updated processors of this summer, so it won't be so bad probably as my story. My PowerBook was truly purchased at the end of the line effectively of a generation of processors and near end of support for those processors.

My iMac is 50 months old now, doesn't feel slow, and it is my main desktop, so take care of your Air, and it might go longer than you think!

wrinkster22
Oct 20, 2011, 09:36 AM
I tried the NuTech or whatever it's called that OWC had a few years ago and it wouldn't physically go in the machine. It was cut wrong or something and didn't really "match" aestetically. That made me skeptical of third party batteries.

----------

Sounds like you have the 2011 Air. You got it at a good time with the updated processors of this summer, so it won't be so bad probably as my story. My PowerBook was truly purchased at the end of the line effectively of a generation of processors and near end of support for those processors.

My iMac is 50 months old now, doesn't feel slow, and it is my main desktop, so take care of your Air, and it might go longer than you think!
Well I am excited! My plan is try to get all the things I want now, and not upgrade the OS and stuff, Because my 2011 air is optimized for Lion I will keep it running like that for as long as I can

powerbook911
Oct 20, 2011, 09:38 AM
Well I am excited! My plan is try to get all the things I want now, and not upgrade the OS and stuff, Because my 2011 air is optimized for Lion I will keep it running like that for as long as I can

I think you should do *at least* the next OS update if it comes in a couple years.

You'll really start to lose out on new features if you don't. That is a great machine though, keep enjoying it.

eyoungren
Oct 20, 2011, 10:17 AM

I can see that. I'm not big on OWC despite the fact that I seem to hear about it a lot. I have one of their batteries in my Powerbook and I can't say I've been impressed with the performance. There is a vendor I trust though. Fresh Battery. (http://www.freshbattery.com) I had purchased an extended battery from them for my old TiBook. That thing is over two years old now and still has more life in it then the ones I have for my other PBs. I should have bought from them instead of Newertech, but of course the Newertech battery was cheaper. You get what you pay for I guess.

Incidentally, the PB I bought for my wife was advertised as a 1.5Ghz model. It turned out to be only 1Ghz. But I was ok with that because it had a 1GB stick in there when they told me it only had 512.

My wife is running 10.5.8 (I did a clean install). And the Mac is fast. The 250GB drive I put in was a Western Digital and for being PATA they are pretty fast drives.

wrinkster22
Oct 20, 2011, 10:22 AM
I think you should do *at least* the next OS update if it comes in a couple years.

You'll really start to lose out on new features if you don't. That is a great machine though, keep enjoying it.

Maybe 1.. but than it may slow down. I kind of want to preserve it :/

daneoni
Oct 20, 2011, 12:13 PM
Saw a mother using one at McDonalds yesterday. It was in pristine condition.

powerbook911
Oct 20, 2011, 04:02 PM
Saw a mother using one at McDonalds yesterday. It was in pristine condition.

Even more difficult to accomplish if you're a parent at McDonalds, the pristine condition. I'm impressed!

My second day of running it with the new battery. It actually feels speedier today! It must have been doing quite a lot of housekeeping the first couple times I fired it back up since the early Spring. Feels even more usable now.

What is your guys thoughts on the two year old battery? It did show zero cycles and showing 4400 mAh capacity, which is exactly what it should be. Maybe sealed in Apple storage, its life wasn't hurt too bad?

GenesisJLS
Oct 20, 2011, 05:34 PM
Even more difficult to accomplish if you're a parent at McDonalds, the pristine condition. I'm impressed!

My second day of running it with the new battery. It actually feels speedier today! It must have been doing quite a lot of housekeeping the first couple times I fired it back up since the early Spring. Feels even more usable now.

What is your guys thoughts on the two year old battery? It did show zero cycles and showing 4400 mAh capacity, which is exactly what it should be. Maybe sealed in Apple storage, its life wasn't hurt too bad?

If it wasn't used the battery is fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your machine.

powerbook911
Oct 20, 2011, 11:33 PM
One thing that certainly jumps out at me while using this machine is the trackpad. This version of the PowerBook finally added official dual finger scrolling to the trackpad. This was nice, and it was perhaps the beginning of Apple's touch gestures that we would find in iOS devices and the large trackpads later.

You certainly crave a bit larger trackpad while using this machine. Nevertheless, it's fine and the physical button below the trackpad is nice. I'm glad it taught me how to use the current trackpad.

I see family members struggle with the current trackpads a bit because they stop moving the pointer around the screen and push down with the same finger. It's simply a rather uncomfortable way to click. Furthermore the index finger is often higher up on the trackpad where it takes more force to click.

This PowerBook taught me to always use my thumb to click. This leaves your index finger to point while leaving your thumb to click instantly while resting on the bottom of the trackpad. I still use this on the new trackpads and it works nicely. Thanks PowerBook!

eyoungren
Oct 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
I'm using iScroll2 (http://iscroll2.sourceforge.net/) with my 1GHZ Mac which is a 2003 model. It's got near functional parity with my 1.67 GHZ model and I actually like it's scrolling much better.

I've learned to "right+click" with the middle finder holding down command and the thumb clicking the trackpad.

macintoshbg
Oct 21, 2011, 04:43 PM
Nice to hear some sentimentality for the Gs. I just bought a PowerMac G5 from eBay for 180 pounds and I'm waiting for it to arrive (goes without saying I hope it's soon! :D:apple:). Many people seem to think the old PowerPCs are way too outdated, but really the way OS X handles resources they are still quite capable. Anyways, I hope your PowerBook take you a long way, they're really, really cool machines (I had my eye on a few but I figured I could juice out more power for less cash by buying a desktop). Cheers all! :) :apple:

vitzr
Oct 21, 2011, 04:57 PM
I am the original owner of a like new, 15" 2002 G4 PowerBook Ti. Mine is the last of the G4 Ti Series.

Configured with a 1GHz CPU & 1GB RAM, it was also the first with a SuperDrive.

While not babying it, yet taking care, it runs as good as day one. Having traveled internationally with me for a bit over one year, it's reliability is well proven.

Just another example of why I've purchased & enjoyed nearly every model of PowerBook & MacBook Pro since my first PowerBook 170.

It's a shame the well loved PowerBook model name was abandoned.

powerbook911
Oct 21, 2011, 07:03 PM
I am the original owner of a like new, 15" 2002 G4 PowerBook Ti. Mine is the last of the G4 Ti Series.

Configured with a 1GHz CPU & 1GB RAM, it was also the first with a SuperDrive.

While not babying it, yet taking care, it runs as good as day one. Having traveled internationally with me for a bit over one year, it's reliability is well proven.

Just another example of why I've purchased & enjoyed nearly every model of PowerBook & MacBook Pro since my first PowerBook 170.

It's a shame the well loved PowerBook model name was abandoned.

I agree. The PowerBook name certainly had some value. It's amazing to think it has now been nearly forgotten.

cortese212
Oct 21, 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm glad to see you guys are enjoying you ppc's , I just ordered an ibook g4 any upgrades you guys can recommend?:apple:

brycemason
Oct 21, 2011, 09:02 PM
I use my PB12 every day. It goes with me to work, serves my music at home, and browses the web mostly okay in the evenings! I have a i7 Asus beast, but prefer this little guy.

I put in the OWC SSD 240GB, and it screams without making a sound. I am also the guy who put in a high-res screen, 1400x1050, which provides a hell of a lot more real estate.

cortese212
Oct 21, 2011, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=brycemason;13694816]I use my PB12 every day. It goes with me to work, serves my music at home, and browses the web mostly okay in the evenings! I have a i7 Asus beast, but prefer this little guy.

I put in the OWC SSD 240GB, and it screams without making a sound. I am also the guy who put in a high-res screen, 1400x1050, which provides a hell of a lot more real estate.[/QUOTE

I'm actually reading that forum right now, would that display work in the iBook?

powerbook911
Oct 21, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'm glad to see you guys are enjoying you ppc's , I just ordered an ibook g4 any upgrades you guys can recommend?:apple:

Make sure you max the ram if it isn't already.

----------

[QUOTE=brycemason;13694816]I use my PB12 every day. It goes with me to work, serves my music at home, and browses the web mostly okay in the evenings! I have a i7 Asus beast, but prefer this little guy.

I put in the OWC SSD 240GB, and it screams without making a sound. I am also the guy who put in a high-res screen, 1400x1050, which provides a hell of a lot more real estate.[/QUOTE

I'm actually reading that forum right now, would that display work in the iBook?

Awesome. How hard was the SSD swap? I'm quite leery of taking apart this still gorgeous PowerBook.

Hrududu
Oct 21, 2011, 11:42 PM
I upgraded mine to a 7200 rpm blue drive and that helps a little in the boot times for sure. I think my 12" Powerbook actually gets the most use of any Mac I own. My Fiancee uses one as her only computer and loves it.

brycemason
Oct 22, 2011, 01:25 AM
The HDD swap I did using the iFixit guide. It wasn't too hard, but the guide was incomplete in that there are lots of undocumented little tabs around the battery area that, once I found them, I could separate the top case from the bottom case. In general, just don't force anything too hard! The Apple service manual had these tabs documented.

I do not know if the 1400x1050 panel would fit in the iBook. The specs are attached, so if you have the appropriate inverter, the same physical dimensions, the same LVD-20 connector, and the time and inclination, you could do it. It was a task.

MAC MAN JW
Oct 24, 2011, 11:38 AM

Thank you PowerBook G4.

I have the 12" 1.5 GHz model Powerbook and i love it. i got it in 2009 for $100 i have to say it is perty fast for a 5-6 year old computer:)

Hallivand
Oct 25, 2011, 08:23 PM
I used to own a Rev A 12", however that became so bloody warm that it was just impractical to use for an extended period of time that I sold it a few months later. Plus it was pretty slow with 640mb RAM, and kernel paniced all the time if I held the HDD in a certain way.

However, three weeks ago I purchased a pristine condition Powerbook G4 15" manufactured in 2004. It's got a 1.33Ghz, 60GB HDD and 1GB of RAM, using both slots (!) so knock on wood nothing happens. Even the battery is amazing, original with 189 cycles and still lasts between 3 to 3.5 hours on medium brightness, which is fantastic. All for $AU150. Loving it :D

mabaker
Oct 26, 2011, 04:19 AM
I absolutely love mine! Unfortunately its 1 GHz processor is too slow for all the fancy Keynote transitions so I use him for light text processing and PowerPoint outlining. Still a screamer, though!

SimonUK5
Oct 26, 2011, 06:02 AM
I miss my Top End 12'' Powerbook :/ I brought it like 2 years ago, and it died after like 3 months of using it :/ I sold off all the parts and made my money back, but i still miss it :(

wallyu
Oct 28, 2011, 09:52 PM
My 12" G4 was my first Apple product and it's still running. I keep it at work so I don't have to haul a laptop around. It's maxed out at 1.25 gig of RAM and a friend put in a 250G Western Digital hard drive. Needs a battery again and it's a little beat up now but I love the size and the feel of the keys.

Hey can anyone advise me how to clean it up a bit? I mean in terms of performance. I'm getting the pizza wheel alot and everything is dreadfully slow. Besides the obvious (get a faster machine!) are there things I can do like empty caches or run some sort of defragger (forgive me I know that's a PC word!) that will let my G4 be less stressed out?

Much obliged.

MAC MAN JW
Oct 28, 2011, 10:10 PM
"Hey can anyone advise me how to clean it up a bit? I mean in terms of performance. I'm getting the pizza wheel alot and everything is dreadfully slow. Besides the obvious (get a faster machine!) are there things I can do like empty caches or run some sort of defragger (forgive me I know that's a PC word!) that will let my G4 be less stressed out?"

do a clean install of os x that will make it fast agen. os x does clean up/defrag tasks by it's self when your computer is not in use. :)

toolbox
Oct 28, 2011, 11:02 PM
I has one too!

Power Book G4 12inch 867 MHZ. I have upgraded hdd / super drive. Still works well. Just need to get a new battery for it then all set!

Currently, unit is in its box until i can get a new battery keep it safe.

Jethryn Freyman
Oct 28, 2011, 11:25 PM
"Hey can anyone advise me how to clean it up a bit? I mean in terms of performance. I'm getting the pizza wheel alot and everything is dreadfully slow. Besides the obvious (get a faster machine!) are there things I can do like empty caches or run some sort of defragger (forgive me I know that's a PC word!) that will let my G4 be less stressed out?"
Add more memory, if you can. The biggest cause of the beach ball for me is when I run out of memory and the computer starts paging onto the hard disk.

eyoungren
Oct 28, 2011, 11:43 PM
Hey can anyone advise me how to clean it up a bit? I mean in terms of performance. I'm getting the pizza wheel alot and everything is dreadfully slow. Besides the obvious (get a faster machine!) are there things I can do like empty caches or run some sort of defragger (forgive me I know that's a PC word!) that will let my G4 be less stressed out?

Much obliged.

System maintenance. Repair permissions, run a system maintenance tool (Onyx, Cocktail, MainMenu, etc (at minimum run the Daily, Weekly and Monthly scripts). Boot from your install disk and run Disk Utility to repair the disk (better would be DiskWarrior if you have it) Clean out the clutter of files you don't need/want. You might also try Monolingual which will remove all the language files from the system that you don't use. If you use the machine for design (utilizing fonts) then clean your font caches.

If you do this on a regular (periodic) basis (most people don't, they wait until the system is so slow the only feasible remedy is reinstalling the OS) you can maintain the system in good working order.

karilynn
Oct 29, 2011, 08:38 PM
I still have my 2005 PB15 with the 1.5ghz and 2 gb ram. I love it to death and back. I prefer it to my i7 iMac. Of course it can't do anything super amazing, but I am able to write on it and surf the web wonderfully. I love the keys and the way it feels in my hands. It will be sad day when this little guy leaves me... :(

powerbook911
Oct 30, 2011, 12:09 PM
I still have my 2005 PB15 with the 1.5ghz and 2 gb ram. I love it to death and back. I prefer it to my i7 iMac. Of course it can't do anything super amazing, but I am able to write on it and surf the web wonderfully. I love the keys and the way it feels in my hands. It will be sad day when this little guy leaves me... :(

I say, don't ever let it leave you. Even if it stopped working someday, just keep it. It's a beautiful piece of computer history.

toolbox
Oct 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
I say, don't ever let it leave you. Even if it stopped working someday, just keep it. It's a beautiful piece of computer history.

Hell yeah they are! i will not be getting rid of mine if the sad day comes, all it needs is a new battery / ram and all good

karilynn
Oct 30, 2011, 07:35 PM

Never. I still have my very first iPod that I bought in 2003. It doesn't work anymore, but I still have it in a box. I remember when I bought it and I thought, wow, this is incredible. My life had a soundtrack. I still remember the day I got my PB. I knew it was wonderful the minute my fingers touched the keys. There really is nothing better. I can't bring myself to buying a MBP. I don't like the black plastic keys, I don't like the way the machine looks or feels. I will hold on to my dear PowerBook until the day it leaves ME and even then, I'll still keep it just to remember it.

MattA
Nov 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
My wife still has her 12" 867mhz powerbook. That thing was soooo cool when we bought it. It's still in mint condition with all the accessories too.

She was just lamenting that she doesn't use it anymore and was thinking of selling it. That made me sort of depressed :(

powerbook911
Nov 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
My wife still has her 12" 867mhz powerbook. That thing was soooo cool when we bought it. It's still in mint condition with all the accessories too.

She was just lamenting that she doesn't use it anymore and was thinking of selling it. That made me sort of depressed :(

If she does, have a friend buy it with your money, hand it back over to you, so you don't lose it. :) ha-ha. After all, she won't get much for it! $100? It's worth way more than that to the heart of any Apple fan.

toolbox
Nov 3, 2011, 05:36 PM

it would make any one depressed ! :(