Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
There's a good deal, I can pick it up for ~15€.

Is it worth the time? Stupid fun?

I like open worlds where I can just goof around and do crazy stuff. Does this fit the bill?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've only played 5 mins into it so I can't really say anything, but they were a fun first 5 minutes.
Bought it on Steam for £5 some months ago (I wish it was 5 months ago).

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Easiest way to put it is, are you one of those people who play Grand Theft Auto games, but never finish? Saint's Row is basically a sillier version of Grand Theft, it really embraces the whole fantasy of being a crook. In GTA games you steal cars. In Saints Row 2, you hijack feces throwing waste trucks, jets & helicopters, and you can rock mini bikes & flying saucers if you have the special content. Side missions include helping film a 'COPS' like tv show. Saints Row 2 was more exceptional, because there are some great story moments that kind of shock you ( referring to the events in the Brotherhood storyline ), because of all the previous silliness.

I consider it one of my all time favorite games. If you're looking for reference as to what my favs are: Uncharted 2, Batman: AA, Halo, Call of Duty MW, Gears 1 & 3, Marvel Ult Alliance, for examples. Saints Row 2 is a great open world game that offers quite a bit of replay and side missions. It also features co op. I heartily recommend the game!!

Word of advice though: If you do a mission with a friend & you're trying to stay low profile until you get to the mission. Don't let your friend get a chainsaw & see a group of hookers. It NEVER ends well!

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I highly recommend it. I'm not really into the Grand Theft Auto series, but I really love this game. It gives you a lot of freedom and you can play it at your own pace. The game map is pretty good sized too, but not so big that it's daunting to transverse.

Also, kicking butt with a samurai sword is probably the most fun I've had in a video game. :)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Thanks for the input!

Just placed the order - price went down over night, and now I'm getting it for 12 Euros! :D

How does the coop work? Can you roam the entire city and cause mayhem with a friend, or is it just joining in to do specific missions? (PS3 version)

iHutch105

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for the input!

Just placed the order - price went down over night, and now I'm getting it for 12 Euros! :D

How does the coop work? Can you roam the entire city and cause mayhem with a friend, or is it just joining in to do specific missions? (PS3 version)

Entire city and mayhem. Much mayhem.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I actually haven't tried co-op in Saints Row 2. I'd be happy to try it out with someone. :p

It's a lot of fun. You can bring your friends in to help with missions. It's especially helpful in destruction runs, and the helicopter missions. By having a second person with you in the chopper, one person can concentrate on the flying, the other on the shooting. This is especially important in the harder ones cause you really have to concentrate on your flying, which makes shooting specific targets a real pain in the ass in cluttered buildings of the city.

The reason I played thru the game so many times, was literally because I helped friends finish their run thrus, after I did mine.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
It's a lot of fun. You can bring your friends in to help with missions. It's especially helpful in destruction runs, and the helicopter missions. By having a second person with you in the chopper, one person can concentrate on the flying, the other on the shooting. This is especially important in the harder ones cause you really have to concentrate on your flying, which makes shooting specific targets a real pain in the ass in cluttered buildings of the city.

The reason I played thru the game so many times, was literally because I helped friends finish their run thrus, after I did mine.

That does sound pretty fun. To think I've had this game so long and never even tried it.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
One of the coolest things about the game, which will be lost on anyone that hasn't played the first one, is the fact that you can easily navigate the city map by memory. Whereas GTA often moves locales, Saints Row 2 was built on the city map of Saints Row. Since the game required quite a bit of travel & had a lot of replay, this basically ingrained basic memory sense of the city into the player. When I started playing Saints Row 2 I couldn't get over how cool the feeling was that I knew where I was going right away. Definitely a great touch. In the new one, we do move onto a new city which is cool, but having that touch of familiarity was always a great feeling playing the game.

I'm excited about SR3, but at the same time worried. They seem to really want to focus on the whole going overboard thing, and I'm worried it might get to silly. Then again, it does feature luchadors. so I am psyched about that. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.