Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Hello!

I have noticed that my iPod Touch 2G 64gig battery life has recently decreased in length from around 25 hours play time to around 12-13 hours. While this is still an awesome amount of time for an iPod to last, I would prefer it lasted its original length.

Let me note the following things:
* this does not seem to be related to any recent iOS upgrades
* I am extremely anal about battery life and always pay close attention to how long it is lasting
* I run the iPod in airplane mode. Always. (therefore wifi is always off).
* Currently, I use the iPod for music only. Rare use of games and apps maybe once a month and no App/game usage since I noticed this battery issue.
* I have seen this problem on my iPod once before, but the problem disappeared after a firmware upgrade. A recent firmware upgrade did not make the problem go away.
* rebooting the iPod does not make the problem go away

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone knows a solution to this.

Also, has anyone tried "reset to factory settings" on an iPod Touch? I don't know what this feature does. Will it erase my notes or calendar or delete my once-in-a-month Angry Birds progress file?

kaydot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
like all batteries the capacity reduces over time. BTW you do not have a 2g. you have a 3g.

Thanks for the clarification on the generation.

However, I personally don't believe the battery age argument. Even were I to recharge the battery once every four days, which I don't, I estimate that I'd be under 200 cycles over two years. My records show that when the battery was new, it could last well over 12 days, and even today, lasts about 4-6 days.
(Yes, I actually kept records.) That should put me well under 100 cycles. And because I'm extremely superstitious of battery health, I almost always drain my iPod to empty before charging.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Thanks for the clarification on the generation.

However, I personally don't believe the battery age argument. Even were I to recharge the battery once every four days, which I don't, I estimate that I'd be under 200 cycles over two years. My records show that when the battery was new, it could last well over 12 days, and even today, lasts about 4-6 days.
(Yes, I actually kept records.) That should put me well under 100 cycles. And because I'm extremely superstitious of battery health, I almost always drain my iPod to empty before charging.
does it have applecare

Aeroplane

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
i got my ipod august 2009 and to this day the battery works great i dont know how many days but it lasts enough, better than my bb phone which sucks big time in all aspects.
i think battery life depends a lot on how you use it, for example i dim the light on mine since day once cause it was freakingly bright for my taste i think that was a major variable in keeping my battery life a healthy length....

also i use it mostly for music but when i do play games like final fantasy and such it drains fast....but guess it only means its getting old! :cool:

sounds awful that such a wonderful device lasts about two years or so with good battery life... and lets not talk about iOS upgrades...ugh the consumerism of apple! the devil!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.