Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
After dwelling on this for months, I ordered my first proper iPod last night (already got a Shuffle) but not an iPod Photo -- there were too many reported problems with sound quality & distortion that made me a little leery.

So I ordered a 40gb 4th Gen from a well-rated Amazon.co.uk reseller with a substantial history which was advertised as new, box opened but all complete with iPod still 'in plastic wrapper'. Also still has manufacturers guarantee (worth nothing without a receipt I would imagine) and seller has also given a 90-day return on it.

This only cost about £25 more than the current 20gb model still on sale from Apple so it seems a good deal. However, I'm pretty apprehensive about it and will contact Amazon at the first sign of any problems or if it's not as it was advertised.

When it arrives, what should I look out for to ensure that this iPod is new?
If it's scratched or it doesn't work, then that'll be pretty obvious but what other more subtle signs should I look out for? How can I give it a thorough going-over so I can see if it's OK?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
if it is indeed brand new still everything should be wraped up nicely in plastic inside the box still. look for the obvious scratches and markings too. don't forget to register it with apple, if its new you can still do that without any problems yet.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
virividox said:
everything is sealed up nice and tight if its brand spankin new
so if its not sealed or a seal is broken then i guess its been opened

So even if the box has been opened, it should have something like a shrink-wrap around the iPod?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
So even if the box has been opened, it should have something like a shrink-wrap around the iPod?

yep, everything inside has plastic wraping around it and attached bar codes, its very very organized as well. There should be bar code tags on the twist-ties that hold the cords togeher and there will be a plastic covering around the ipod itself saying dont steal music i believe. if it came with a dock that will be wrapped as well. its not shrink wrap but you can tell if it has been messed up before

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
You'll know.
Opening those things up is amazing - I can still remember my iPod 5GB 1st Gen.. Ahhhhh
BTW, I would always buy new from apple. You get laser engraving (free i think), and the sealedness of the packaging makes the opening worth the extra money!
The iPod itself is covered in a plastic like the stuff you get on new screens on mobiles and alike. It says "Don't Steal Music" on it. This should still be on it (with no air bubbles or other evidence of replacement)
Same thing with the AC adaptor, and the ear buds (which you should replace 'cos they suck) should be in a sealed half-foil half clear plastic sachet (with the foam covers). If there are scratches AT ALL, get angry!
Enjoy the iPod, they rule!

EDIT : I think the shuffle too was covered in this plastic stuff, at least partially!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
James Philp said:
BTW, I would always buy new from apple. You get laser engraving (free i think), and the sealedness of the packaging makes the opening worth the extra money!!

Well, if Apple still sold a 40gb+ player that wasn't dogged with reports of poor sound quality I would buy one like a shot... I can't be bothered waiting for the mythical 80gb model only to find that it may still have the same problems. 40gb will hold my entire music collection (just) and I can always not load the rarely-listened-to stuff if things get a little tight.

Thanks for all feedback so far, guys. I honestly don't really know what to expect but this has made things a lot clearer.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I loved opening up my iPod... it was like a special moment... rather than ripping it apart like you would a CD Player or something (gosh darn hard plastic seals :mad: ), you slowly open it and take it out. It opens like a book, and everything is nicely packaged on both sides. The iPod is covered in a special plastic wrap that says "Dont Steal Music" on it in 3 different languages. And, as was said earlier, all the items have little white twist ties with little bar code papers on it. The headphones should be inside a static free grayish bag, and can only be ripped open.

Resellers usually open the box just to make sure everything is in there. Im sure everything will be fine :)

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Another thing to look for, which hasn't been mentioned, is turn it on, and go to settings, about, and see if the iPod has a name. Like a specific person, which would mean it has been used.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Sharewaredemon said:
Another thing to look for, which hasn't been mentioned, is turn it on, and go to settings, about, and see if the iPod has a name. Like a specific person, which would mean it has been used.

Thanks. That's also very useful to know.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
It arrived today at work by courier. :)

Bought a blue (of course :) ) skin on the way home for it.

It's now sitting next to me charging, while the copy of my 120gb Lossless library (duplicated and managed with Doug's iTunes Library Manager script) is almost finished downsampling everything to 192 AAC.

I'm going to have a proper play once that's all done.
It's better than Xmas... :D

Thanks for all your advice, guys.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I personally didn't like the skins.
Taking it on and off (to put in the dock etc.) has loosened the white plactic from the metal backing on mine, and there's now a mm or so play between the two "halves" :(
The stress of putting on / removing the skin seems to be quite considerable!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
James Philp said:
I personally didn't like the skins.
Taking it on and off (to put in the dock etc.) has loosened the white plactic from the metal backing on mine, and there's now a mm or so play between the two "halves" :(
The stress of putting on / removing the skin seems to be quite considerable!

Aaah, but this skin has a flap which you can open where the dock goes in.
So no messing about... :)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Congrats on the new(ish) iPod, BV. Can't get thru the day without my trusty 20 gig'er.

You know what this means, though....

New 80GB iPods next Tuesday!!! :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
powermac666 said:
You know what this means, though....

New 80GB iPods next Tuesday!!! :D

I know! I've got this unenviable knack of purchasing Apple equipment just before an update so hold onto your hats!

:)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
3rdpath said:
congrats bv.

i bought the same model from amazon u.s. about a month ago...when you factor in that it comes with a dock, you're basically getting twice the storage of the 20gig for about $25.00.

too good of a deal to pass up.

Cheers, 3rdpath.
Stayed up late last night playing with it.

Seems OK to me and yes, the dock & firewire cable make it a very good deal in my view.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
How is the sound quality? Can you hear any static or other noises when you select different songs? (i.e. the iPod has to access its drive)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I would have bought the iPod mini instead of the shuffle AND the regular iPod. The mini seems to fill the needs both on the issue of size and of storage space. The 20-60GB iPods are nice but I've personally never ever listened to my entire music collection. About 4/5th of my collection hardly if ever gets listened to in a given year. And shuffling songs, well, you always tend to get a lot songs that don't fit your mood and you find yourself fast forwarding.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
EGT said:
How is the sound quality? Can you hear any static or other noises when you select different songs? (i.e. the iPod has to access its drive)

Sound quality is inferior to the Shuffle.
Using the same ripped files and the exact same headphones.

Haven't noticed any static yet, but my trip into work is pretty noisy on the London Underground... only used it today 'cos I forgot to recharge the Shuffle. It's feeling neglected already... :)

Will order some Shure e3cs in a couple of weeks.

Overall, my initial fears have not been realised. It's a new machine.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Blue Velvet said:
Sound quality is inferior to the Shuffle.
Using the same ripped files and the exact same headphones.

Haven't noticed any static yet, but my trip into work is pretty noisy on the London Underground... only used it today 'cos I forgot to recharge the Shuffle. It's feeling neglected already... :)

Will order some Shure e3cs in a couple of weeks.

Overall, my initial fears have not been realised. It's a new machine.

Let us know how you like the E3C's. I've put them in the shopping basket several times, and then logged off. :rolleyes:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
iGary said:
Let us know how you like the E3C's. I've put them in the shopping basket several times, and then logged off. :rolleyes:

You should see how much they are here! :eek:

£119 (about US$220!) from Apple Store UK, more or less the same everywhere. I shall be ordering mine from the US through eBay for almost half the price.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Blue Velvet said:

£119 (about US$220!) from Apple Store UK, more or less the same everywhere. I shall be ordering mine from the US through eBay for almost half the price.

Yeah, they are about $180.00 U.S. here. I'll wait for your fine-tuned ears to let me know if they are worth the premium! ;) :D

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I have a pair of E3cs - They are great Gary - you'll never go near apple buds again! - Well worth the layout!
Don't get them second hand! The main thing you need is all the bits that come with them that make them fit in your ears. These have to be brand new!

My top tip for the E3cs - don't fit them like they say on the Shure website - i found i got "tugging" when I turned my head. I fit them as normal, over the back of the ear and then run the cables under my chin like normal 'phones. I found I didn't get any tugging, and what pulling i got did not act to dislodge the buds at all. You also look less like a presidential bodyguard!

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Blue Velvet said:

I tried to do this but found the delivery costs pretty much made up the difference (add in thye possibility of being taxed 17.5% when they get to the UK too and it was too much hasstle!). In the end I went to regent street and bought them from the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.