PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile: Apple's Decision When We Get the iPhone

MacRumors
Oct 21, 2011, 03:40 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/21/t-mobile-apples-decision-when-we-get-the-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/TMO_logo.gif

In a statement released yesterday (http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/articles/t-mobile-4g-smartphones-statement), Andrew Sherrard, T-Mobile USA's Senior Vice President of Marketing, blamed Apple for T-Mobile's lack of an official iPhone offering. He said the main issue remains Apple's unwillingness to build hardware compatible with T-Mobile 3G and 4G networks.
T-Mobile thinks the iPhone is a good device and we've expressed our interest to Apple to offer it to our customers. Ultimately, it is Apple's decision. The issue remains that Apple has not developed a version of the iPhone with technology that works on our fast 3G and 4G networks. We believe a capable version of the iPhone for our 3G and 4G networks would offer an additional compelling option for our customers on a fast 4G network. However, the iPhone is not the only option to experience the benefit that smartphones offer.Sherrard goes on to compare the iPhone to other smartphones that do support T-Mobile's network, saying that the phones are capable of faster speeds, have bigger screens, and a more advanced camera on one particular phone, the HTC Amaze 4G.

In a defense of T-Mobile that echoes an open letter (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/27/t-mobile-usa-executive-offers-letter-to-customers-regarding-lack-of-iphone/) to their customers last month, Sherrard said "we firmly believe that T-Mobile's portfolio will give any iPhone a run for its money... With our portfolio of Android, Windows, and BlackBerry smartphones, fast 4G network, and competitively priced worry-free unlimited talk, text, and data plans, we believe it's a great time to be a T-Mobile customer."

Article Link: T-Mobile: Apple's Decision When We Get the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/21/t-mobile-apples-decision-when-we-get-the-iphone/)

hobo.hopkins
Oct 21, 2011, 03:48 PM
He might say that T-Mobile's offerings will give iPhone a run for its money, but he can't really believe that. No phone will sell as much as the iPhone 4S, and everyone in their right mind knows that.

Pared
Oct 21, 2011, 03:48 PM
What else would anyone expect him to say?

jffmrk
Oct 21, 2011, 03:49 PM
How can he say that Apple has not built an iPhone compatible with their network, but in a previous statement say that they have over a million iPhone's running on their network...

gpat
Oct 21, 2011, 03:49 PM
Day X: Check out the Android vs iPhone charts on our website!
Day X+1: OMG WE GOT IPHONES COME N GET EM

Mike Oxard
Oct 21, 2011, 03:50 PM
"T-Mobile thinks the iPhone is a good device"

Just like the rest of the world then.

lshaner
Oct 21, 2011, 03:51 PM
Most likely the iPhone 4S could be made to support T-Mobile with nothing more than a Firmware/Modem update -- e.g. a software change.

The reason I say so is because the iPhone 4S's carrier support is based on a digital signal processor, and it really shouldn't be more than a matter of firmware/software to instruct the DSP to use T-Mobile's required 1700 MHz frequency. (The 2100 MHz frequency is already there).

pittpanthersfan
Oct 21, 2011, 03:54 PM
Everyone knows that T-Mobile U.S.A. is not long for this world. Even if the acquisition by AT&T falls through, T-Mobile will go bankrupt and be gobbled up by the remaining parties at firesale prices anyway. :eek: Hindsight is 20/20, but it really hedged its bets on the wrong frequency.

SoldOutMatinee
Oct 21, 2011, 03:54 PM
How can he say that Apple has not built an iPhone compatible with their network, but in a previous statement say that they have over a million iPhone's running on their network...

ya but i think they're all running on Edge speeds :eek:

YeahBuddy
Oct 21, 2011, 03:55 PM

They're running on EDGE technology, not 3G or 4G standards.

BC2009
Oct 21, 2011, 03:57 PM

The iPhone's running on T-Mobile's network are folks willing to run EDGE (2G) data so they can use in iPhone with T-Mobile. Many second-hand US iPhones end up being sold to T-Mobile customers. The problem is that the iPhone will only support EDGE/2G on that network.

Now try to think of this from Apple's perspective.... AT&T is acquiring T-Mobile and they have stated they would have to replace customer's phones to handle the change in network frequencies. Does Apple really want to do the engineering to handle the T-Mobile frequencies and change their production line to produce another model if that frequency range is likely to go away if the merger goes through? Mind you, the merger is looking less likely now than it was when such a proposal / decision was being made, but if Apple's goal has been to produce a single iPhone for all carriers with the iPhone 4S, then having a T-Mobile-specific phone did not make sense.

chrmjenkins
Oct 21, 2011, 04:11 PM
The Qualcomm chip in the CDMA iphone 4 and all iPhone 4S has AWS capability. Apple has not enabled it. I would say that presumably they have no plans to offer it in the face of a potential merger between the two.

longofest
Oct 21, 2011, 04:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Exactly! WTH are all of those unlocked iPhones doing on TMobile if the iPhone is so "incompatible"

Edit: n/m... As others have pointed out, it only runs at edge speeds.

shanmugam
Oct 21, 2011, 04:18 PM
once qualcomm adds all the frequency to the Chip

It is not really waiting for Apple, waiting for technology to available for all the frequency in one chip.

not sure how the 4G differs on all the four

*Verizon
*Sprint
*ATT
*T-mobile

and still the merger is pending and no clear path ...

----------

The Qualcomm chip in the CDMA iphone 4 and all iPhone 4S has AWS capability. Apple has not enabled it. I would say that presumably they have no plans to offer it in the face of a potential merger between the two.

are you sure about it? do not look at the iPhone 4S specs say so, there are some underlying technology difference between them - if i understood

Rodimus Prime
Oct 21, 2011, 04:21 PM

And not doing so could land them in some legal trouble with the DOJ. I would not be surprised if it is looking into to see if they did not turn it on to help force the merger threw.

jamesryanbell
Oct 21, 2011, 04:27 PM
If it doesn't run iOS5, it's a lesser phone. I'll keep my 4S with HSPA+ on AT&T, and I'll be just fine.

macinnv
Oct 21, 2011, 04:32 PM
We can at least put to rest the theory that AT&T, by pulling the strings over at T-Mobile, have effectively said no to Apple on the iPhone.

Plutonius
Oct 21, 2011, 04:33 PM
Maybe because T-Mobile will not agree to buy a minimum number of iPhones like Verizon and Sprint did. You will never see a T-Mobile iPhone until T_Mobile agrees to guarantee some money (which they will not since T-Mobile USA wants to be sold).

chrmjenkins
Oct 21, 2011, 04:37 PM
are you sure about it? do not look at the iPhone 4S specs say so, there are some underlying technology difference between them - if i understood

The specs aren't going to advertise it because apple has no intention of running on those frequencies.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1092599

http://i.imgur.com/YxeV8.png

AWS is UMTS 1700

macinnv
Oct 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
Good find Jenkins, wish the AWS bands could activated by jailbreaking or something!

chrmjenkins
Oct 21, 2011, 05:13 PM
Good find Jenkins, wish the AWS bands could activated by jailbreaking or something!

Most likely disabled in the radio firmware plus the hardware lacks antennas tuned for that frequency, so even if the firmware was the only thing standing in your way, reception would be sub-optimal.

andiwm2003
Oct 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
Most likely disabled in the radio firmware plus the hardware lacks antennas tuned for that frequency, so even if the firmware was the only thing standing in your way, reception would be sub-optimal.

yeah, but reception would still be better than ATT in and a mile around my house. a block of wood has better reception on T-Mobile than any phone on ATT here in Cambridge.:mad:

macUser2007
Oct 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
Everyone knows that T-Mobile U.S.A. is not long for this world. Even if the acquisition by AT&T falls through, T-Mobile will go bankrupt and be gobbled up by the remaining parties at firesale prices anyway. :eek: Hindsight is 20/20, but it really hedged its bets on the wrong frequency.

Everyone?!

While I think this different frequency game in the US is kept up mostly to prevent users from being able to jump easily between carriers, T-Mobiles frequency is weird, indeed.

At the same time, Samsung doesn't seem to have trouble providing phones for T-Mobile. Apple is just being lazy.

For what it's worth, T-Mobile has be best rates (way better than AT&T, in my experience -- I was with AT&T for about 7 years) and it actually has better coverage than AT&T in West Side of LA. T-Mobile data speeds are also significantly better than AT&T.

I hope the merger is stopped -- the US badly needs some real competition, and T-Mobile is the only GSM alternative to AT&T.

wordoflife
Oct 21, 2011, 05:32 PM
So the iPhone is going to C Spire (or Cell C) ... whatever the heck it's called, but not T-Mobile? Wow.

Kaibelf
Oct 21, 2011, 05:46 PM
At the same time, Samsung doesn't seem to have trouble providing phones for T-Mobile. Apple is just being lazy.

Samsung has released over 20 Android handsets in the past year. That makes their offerings very diluted, cheap, and doesn't denote quality to consumers. Hence the resorting to cheesy names like the Fascinate, Devour, Instinct, Behold, Intensity, Exclaim, Rant, etc. Apple's not being lazy at all. They aren't cheapening their brand by making a lot of silly variations, and needlessly impacting their VERY well-run supply chain by catering to every subset of nearly-bankrupt carriers who bet on the wrong technology. ;)

So the iPhone is going to C Spire (or Cell C) ... whatever the heck it's called, but not T-Mobile? Wow.

C Spire runs on the right frequencies, and their roaming is handled by Verizon's network. :apple:

chrmjenkins
Oct 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
yeah, but reception would still be better than ATT in and a mile around my house. a block of wood has better reception on T-Mobile than any phone on ATT here in Cambridge.:mad:

Doubtful. Wood is a notoriously poor conductor of electricity as it exhibits no regular lattice structure.

Savethehodag
Oct 21, 2011, 06:19 PM
I've had both AT&T and Sprint (via Virgin Mobile) and T-Mobile is vastly superior, better coverage, rarely lose a connection, better rates. I would rather keep using my $20 dumbphone than switch carriers.

pittpanthersfan
Oct 21, 2011, 06:52 PM
Samsung doesn't seem to have trouble providing phones for T-Mobile. Apple is just being lazy.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe it doesn't make business sense for Apple to develop a unique/special device for a carrier that is about to be gobbled up or filing for Chapter 11.

macUser2007
Oct 21, 2011, 07:20 PM
I've had both AT&T and Sprint (via Virgin Mobile) and T-Mobile is vastly superior, better coverage, rarely lose a connection, better rates. I would rather keep using my $20 dumbphone than switch carriers.

Yep. I like T-Mobile the best, too. I use a couple of Nexus S on it, and it costs me about $100 less per month than 2 iPhones did on AT&T.

Frankly, people sticking with AT&T or Verizon do it simply because they don't know any better. ;)

;)samsung has released over 20 android handsets in the past year. That makes their offerings very diluted, cheap, and doesn't denote quality to consumers. Hence the resorting to cheesy names like the fascinate, devour, instinct, behold, intensity, exclaim, rant, etc. Apple's not being lazy at all. They aren't cheapening their brand by making a lot of silly variations, and needlessly impacting their very well-run supply chain by catering to every subset of nearly-bankrupt carriers who bet on the wrong technology. ;)

lol ;)

macbook pro i5
Oct 21, 2011, 07:28 PM
Day X: Check out the Android vs iPhone charts on our website!
Day X+1: OMG WE GOT IPHONES COME N GET EM

I just love your sig;)

aleksoctop
Oct 21, 2011, 07:51 PM
So the guy's like "iPhone's okay...i mean we got some REALLY GOOD ANDROID devices that we think are pretty much better than iPhone, but yeah, Apple should build us a version of iPhone so it can run on our stupid network!"

1. Apple doesn't like Android...well, at least Steve didn't, which is safe to assume Apple doesn't.
2. If the comment about the "HTC Amaze" sounds like that, does Andrew Sherrard realize that this doesn't challenge or encourage Apple as much as discourage Apple from ever wanting to cooperate with T-Mobile USA?
3. Andrew Sherrard might've just cost T-Mobile USA the iPhone.

I would be VERY careful how I address Apple if I was the Senior Vice President of T-Mobile USA.

pika2000
Oct 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
Once AT&T buys T-Mobile, AWS is gone. So why should Apple spend any resources supporting something that is going to go poof?

On the other hand, I'm glad the Nexus Prime will have penta-band HSDPA. :D

skiltrip
Oct 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
Apple hates T-Mobile. Too much bad blood there. Apple could have built a handset for them if they wanted to. They just simply have no desire to. At this point, they got Yellow, Blue, and Red. Who needs Magenta?

I also think Apple believe ultimately in one way or another, T-Mobile is going to be eaten by AT&T, so why do the work for a short term thing.

blue22
Oct 21, 2011, 10:48 PM
Sorry T-Mobile, I had stuck with you for the past 4+ years, enjoying your service all the while hoping you'd get your act together enough to land the iPhone by now.

But alas I just couldn't wait any longer, especially with the AT&T merger on the lurch. Ultimately I had to make a choice if I wanted to (finally!) get an iPhone in my hands, in a move that didn't require me to wait another 8-12 months on just a wing and a prayer, or one that found me back on AT&T's network. Luckily there are two more options now besides them and 2G/EDGE speeds won't suffice.

*sigh*

It was fun while it lasted T-Mobile, but I had to move on. Maybe in 2013 we can dance again, provided that you're even still around?

nostaws
Oct 21, 2011, 10:58 PM
I am a tmobile and iPhone customer. I would like faster data speeds, but I spend most of my life near wifi anyway.

blue22
Oct 21, 2011, 11:07 PM

Andrew Sherrard can deflect to Apple all he wants but I too agree that the culprit here in all likelihood was the pending merger being the #1 reason why Apple didn't invite T-Mobile to the iPhone4S party this autumn.

Apple hates T-Mobile. Too much bad blood there. Apple could have built a handset for them if they wanted to. They just simply have no desire to. At this point, they got Yellow, Blue, and Red. Who needs Magenta?

I also think Apple believe ultimately in one way or another, T-Mobile is going to be eaten by AT&T, so why do the work for a short term thing.

The text in bold is what had me rolling. LOL!

cvaldes
Oct 21, 2011, 11:18 PM
Is this the same for the UK or is it just usa?
Just the USA.

T-Mobile UK has been selling the iPhone for years if you haven't noticed.

Apple hates T-Mobile.
Not really. T-Mobile is an official iPhone carrier in something like 10-11 markets in Europe.

There's probably some sort of technical compromise for T-Mobile USA that Apple doesn't want to make, like using a different baseband processor, adding another power amplifier, optimizing the antenna for the different frequencies (which would negatively impact the antenna for the more commonly used networks).

Rodimus Prime
Oct 21, 2011, 11:22 PM
There's probably some sort of technical compromise that Apple doesn't want to make, like using a different baseband processor, adding another power amplifier, optimizing the antenna for the different frequencies (which would negatively impact the antenna for the more commonly used networks).

or the most likely one.
T-Mobile was not willing to whore itself out to Apple. Spirit bet the farm on it. T-Mobile could not bet that high nor was it willing.

It would be a cake walk for Apple to do it. The chip they are using already can do it and adding the extra freq would not be that hard. Hell a lot of phones already do it so yet again a non issue.

charlituna
Oct 22, 2011, 12:04 AM
Now try to think of this from Apple's perspective.... AT&T is acquiring T-Mobile and they have stated they would have to replace customer's phones to handle the change in network frequencies. Does Apple really want to do the engineering to handle the T-Mobile frequencies and change their production line to produce another model if that frequency range is likely to go away if the merger goes through? Mind you, the merger is looking less likely now than it was when such a proposal / decision was being made, but if Apple's goal has been to produce a single iPhone for all carriers with the iPhone 4S, then having a T-Mobile-specific phone did not make sense.

This. Remember the whole set out thing has been going on for months. Apple was looking at someone picking up T-Mobile or DTK just canning the division. So it makes little business sense to move on a T-Mobile iPhone until they know T-Mobile is going to be around and in what form

toxic
Oct 22, 2011, 12:38 AM
This. Remember the whole set out thing has been going on for months. Apple was looking at someone picking up T-Mobile or DTK just canning the division. So it makes little business sense to move on a T-Mobile iPhone until they know T-Mobile is going to be around and in what form

sure, but it doesn't explain why Apple couldn't do it before the proposed merger. the exclusivity with AT&T was over and re-engineering for Verizon is more involved than adding GSM frequencies.

I think AT&T is throwing its weight around, and Apple couldn't commit to T-Mobile without something like Sprint's going all in to make up for future losses (in AT&T contracts).

claus1225
Oct 22, 2011, 01:02 AM
he probably has an iphone 4s hidden in his pocket

Pjlancer
Oct 22, 2011, 01:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I believe it is T-Mobile's early support of google's android operating system that is blacklisting them with getting an apple iPhone. Did not jobs just say he would do what I takes to kill android. Isn't just funny that iPhone cemented AT&T /Cingular as a key cell company,but android nearly killed t-mobile.

lllll
Oct 22, 2011, 03:32 AM
The problem is that T-Mobile is not building a cellular network that everyone can use. So too bad T-mobile. Hello Sprint, how are you? :D

macinnv
Oct 22, 2011, 09:21 AM
I would think a carrier moving to AWS bands would be a good thing for congested US bandwidth. But based on the wisdom of MacRumors posters, maybe the FCC should take that spectrum back and T-Mobile can then survive independently by moving to 1900 mhz spectrum?

----------

The problem is that T-Mobile is not building a cellular network that everyone can use. So too bad T-mobile. Hello Sprint, how are you? :D

Sadly I would rather use a T-Mobile android with 8 mb/s than a Sprint iPhone based on the speeds I've been seeing on MacRumors.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 22, 2011, 11:32 AM

I believe it is T-Mobile's early support of google's android operating system that is blacklisting them with getting an apple iPhone. Did not jobs just say he would do what I takes to kill android. Isn't just funny that iPhone cemented AT&T /Cingular as a key cell company,but android nearly killed t-mobile.

Yet sprint and Verizon got the iPhone and they both threw support early on at Android. I fully expect Apple to be investigated over the matter.
I expect there are some back room deals going on to help them merger happen and would not be surprised in the least if Apple was not helping it along.

Rend It
Oct 22, 2011, 11:42 AM

The AWS band might be the limitation, but only in the sense that Apple would have to invest a lot of time and money testing iPhones on T-mobile's network. The electronics and antennas on smartphones are not that frequency specific. If you think designing phones for CDMA, GSM, and AWS frequencies is difficult, just look at how many frequencies are in the LTE specification.

The merger is also irrelevant because AT&T would inherit that spectrum if the buyout is approved. In other words, an iPhone that works on AWS would work on SOME carrier, whether the deal goes through or not.

I think Apple simply weighed the costs of testing on T-Mo and the potential amount of new revenue, and determined it wasn't worth it. C-Spire is a different situation because it's a very small regional carrier, and it runs just like the two major national CDMA carriers, which obviously had extensive testing before the 4S launch.

macinnv
Oct 22, 2011, 12:00 PM
Yet sprint and Verizon got the iPhone and they both threw support early on at Android. I fully expect Apple to be investigated over the matter.
I expect there are some back room deals going on to help them merger happen and would not be surprised in the least if Apple was not helping it along.

Agreed. A backdoor deal between ATT and Apple executives must have occurred. I doubt the Justice Dept would investigate this unfortunately.

DeathChill
Oct 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
Apple apparently was testing prototypes that worked with T-Mobile's 3G so I doubt the frequency is the issue; more likely the business side.

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/04/new-iphone-tested-for-t-mobile-usa/

aristotle
Oct 22, 2011, 03:25 PM
Sorry but T-mobile only has itself and possibly the FCC to blame. Why can't carriers in the US play nice and use the same frequency bands at the same time? In Canada, we have the following carriers with iPhones with overlapping frequency bands:
Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin and Koodo. The last three are the cheap brands of the first three respectively but you still have different plans and pricing structures to choose from.

We also have AWS carriers called Wind and Mobilicity but most people do not bother to touch them with a ten foot pole because they lack cool handsets and their coverage is limited to only a few of the major cities in Canada.

I like being able to access my service outside of Vancouver. I was a Fido customer but now I'm on Telus.

@macinnv: You cannot be serious? US != World. The majority of sales for iPhones are going to continue to be from outside of the US going forward even with Sprint onboard. You need to broaden your horizons a bit.

I like visiting the US but Americans do seem to be a bit myopic and forget that there is a big world outside of their borders sometimes.

MagnusVonMagnum
Oct 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
He might say that T-Mobile's offerings will give iPhone a run for its money, but he can't really believe that. No phone will sell as much as the iPhone 4S, and everyone in their right mind knows that.

You do know that Apple/iOS is not #1 in market share for smart phones, right? A market isn't based on a single phone offering. After all, everyone in their right mind should know that Android has a larger market share overall by far (43% versus Apple's 28%). :rolleyes:

andiwm2003
Oct 22, 2011, 04:27 PM
I still have the unrealistic hope that an unlocked apple phone will support T-Mobile. I know it's not going to happen anytime soon. Maybe with the iPhone 5....

bartolo5
Oct 22, 2011, 07:31 PM
The reason I say so is because the iPhone 4S's carrier support is based on a digital signal processor, and it really shouldn't be more than a matter of firmware/software to instruct the DSP to use T-Mobile's required 1700 MHz frequency. (The 2100 MHz frequency is already there).

I doubt it's a matter of software. To support specific bands the phone antenna has to be designed to work on that band, and the phone has to include a power amplifier for the band. It's not just 'DSP software'...

I guess trying to add that extra band is too much of a hassle and design compromises for Apple to bother.

Kim1975
Oct 22, 2011, 09:10 PM
When you mentioned that Spire runs on the right frequencies, and their roaming is handled by Verizon's network I laughed cuz I had just heard the same thing by a friend of mine who works at the Apple store.

mrbyu
Oct 23, 2011, 03:27 AM

How is this possible? Here in Hungary T-Mobile sells iPhone-s since years, and they work perfectly on 3G network. Right this time we can also preorder iPhone 4S, and the phone's gonna launch here on 28th October. As a matter of fact T-Mobile was the only carrier for years where we could by any iPhone in Hungary (not even Vodafone supporrted it). Is there perhaps a different technology in the US?

endoscient
Oct 23, 2011, 08:39 AM
Apple apparently was testing prototypes that worked with T-Mobile's 3G so I doubt the frequency is the issue; more likely the business side.

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/04/new-iphone-tested-for-t-mobile-usa/
Or maybe their tests produced negative results that they determined it wasn't cost effective to bring the iPhone to T-Mobile US.

mrkramer
Oct 23, 2011, 09:19 AM

How is this possible? Here in Hungary T-Mobile sells iPhone-s since years, and they work perfectly on 3G network. Right this time we can also preorder iPhone 4S, and the phone's gonna launch here on 28th October. As a matter of fact T-Mobile was the only carrier for years where we could by any iPhone in Hungary (not even Vodafone supporrted it). Is there perhaps a different technology in the US?

T-Mobile USA uses different frequencies than T-Mobile in the rest of the world which is why iPhones only work on EDGE.

deannnnn
Oct 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
Dear T-Mobile,

You don't have 4G. Stop pretending that you do.

Sincerely,
Dean

PS. You too AT&T, but this article's not about you.

DESNOS
Oct 23, 2011, 12:05 PM
Doubtful. Wood is a notoriously poor conductor of electricity as it exhibits no regular lattice structure.

Did you seriously think he was serious or are you joking too?...

zap2
Oct 23, 2011, 01:11 PM
Frankly, people sticking with AT&T or Verizon do it simply because they don't know any better.

Or better service/device support where they are located.
Also AT&T/Verizon are getting real 4G much quicker. Frankly I think AT&T has the bet set up, getting LTE this year and already has HSPA+, which gives them the fastest iPhone with easy.

----------

Dear T-Mobile,

You don't have 4G. Stop pretending that you do.

Sincerely,
Dean

PS. You too AT&T, but this article's not about you.

Frankly AT&T would be fools not to, if T Mobile is going to market their HSPA+ as 4G, AT&T shouldn't sit back and be the only carrier not marketing 4G despite investing in both HSPA+ and LTE.

User should do more research or ask more questions, as the term 4G or 3G don't give much use. Verizon's 3G is much slower then AT&T's. It's a shame the US government didn't push GSM in the US, we could have had European system with all GSM networks with the same bands, and let the carriers compete on prices. Now if you're bought a device one carrier, it's mostly only good for them.(Outside of a few exemptions like iPhones, newer Nokia devices or any GSM carrier if you don't care about 3G

----------

T Mobile in the US uses different radio frequencies for their 3G, I'm not totally sure of the reason, but I assume they couldn't get access to the bands AT&T had. So Apple hasn't made a device for T Mobile's 3G as only T Mobile and Wind in Canada use them(and a few small MVNOs)

something3153
Oct 23, 2011, 06:02 PM
Given how much I'm enjoying my Mango phone, I should see about one of them on TMO. It gives up nothing that I can find to to my old iPhone except app count, and it either has all the apps I need or there are websites that handle it.

amadalan
Oct 24, 2011, 02:59 AM
BlackBerry smartphones, fast 4G network, and competitively priced worry-free unlimited talk, text, and data plans, we believe it's a great time to be a T-Mobile customer."

milo
Oct 24, 2011, 08:30 AM
Major shame the iPhone doesn't support T-Mobile. Their rates blow away the three that have it and some plans are even cheaper than similar options on Virgin Mobile. I'd love to get an iPhone but with T-Mobile I can get two lines with unlimited calling, unlimited text, and 2 gigs of data per line (high speed, after that data is throttled so no overage charges) for $99. The same thing on ATT would be $115 for a single line, $199 for two (twice as much). The option on T-Mobile doesn't include a phone subsidy so I'll be buying a couple phones, but with a savings of $1200 per year I'm OK with that.

It would be great to be able to buy an iPhone to work with that plan, unfortunately since that's not an option I'm looking at Android. And this is from someone who has owned macs his whole life, has an iPad and AAPL stock. I guess we'll see what happens with the iPhone 5.

FreakinEurekan
Oct 24, 2011, 08:54 AM
Yep. I like T-Mobile the best, too. I use a couple of Nexus S on it, and it costs me about $100 less per month than 2 iPhones did on AT&T.

Frankly, people sticking with AT&T or Verizon do it simply because they don't know any better. ;)

Or, we're not willing to settle for Android and don't mind paying for better service on our iPhones :rolleyes:

HelveticaRoman
Oct 24, 2011, 09:21 AM
Would an iPhone on T-Mobile be an iT phone?

Mad-B-One
Oct 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
deleted. Sorry.

PracticalMac
Oct 24, 2011, 10:48 AM
The day after the 4S introduction I manged to exchange a few emails with the TMO Marketing Chief.

He said TMO is desperately trying to get iPhone, but for whatever reason Apple is not inclined.

I am inclined to believe they could not make a sweet enough deal like Sprint did ($20 bil) to get Apples attention, or maybe they pissed SJ off with Apple like commercials?

Whatever, but TMO simply seems shut out this time around. :(

PracticalMac
Oct 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
We can at least put to rest the theory that AT&T, by pulling the strings over at T-Mobile, have effectively said no to Apple on the iPhone.

Possible, but would that help AT&T?
Those leaving TMO may go Sprint or Verizon and not ATT.

Maybe because T-Mobile will not agree to buy a minimum number of iPhones like Verizon and Sprint did. You will never see a T-Mobile iPhone until T_Mobile agrees to guarantee some money (which they will not since T-Mobile USA wants to be sold).

Considering how much Sprint put up for iPhone offering ($20 bill / years), plausible explanation.

The chip in iPhone can support the TMO frequency, but apparently is not enabled, and the antennas are not optimized from what others have posted.
iPhone to be so close to supporting TMO, but not, opens door for speculation.

I bet what is really gnawing on TMO is 4S can easily run on just about any network, except yours. It is like having your exclusive club card revoked.

Consultant
Oct 24, 2011, 07:07 PM

When my GF was on T-Mobile, whenever she doesn't have reception, I can call and get the web. She just got a 4S.

Not sure what part of cambridge you are in but I have no problem when I visit Boston / Cambridge with my AT&T iPhone.