Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Is this new iOS 5 feature exclusively for iOS software updates only or for App updates as well? If it is why aren't developers applying it?

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Does anyone know whether the iPhone will automatically notify users of an update (like on the Mac), or if we'll have to manually check?

I have several relatives with iPhones who are "normal" users (not fanboys). Most of them weren't even aware of iOS 5 until I told them.

Or if the phone itself won't notify users, maybe the carrier should send out a SMS.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Does anyone know whether the iPhone will automatically notify users of an update (like on the Mac), or if we'll have to manually check?

I have several relatives with iPhones who are "normal" users (not fanboys). Most of them weren't even aware of iOS 5 until I told them.

Or if the phone itself won't notify users, maybe the carrier should send out a SMS.

With the iOS 5 betas and OTA updates, I don't personally recall receiving any notifications about new updates however I may not have waited long enough (I generally downloaded them as soon as their release was reported by MR). I do recall, however, reading in some thread on here that one person did receive a notification. Can any other devs chime in on OTA update notifications?

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
With the iOS 5 betas and OTA updates, I don't personally recall receiving any notifications about new updates however I may not have waited long enough (I generally downloaded them as soon as their release was reported by MR). I do recall, however, reading in some thread on here that one person did receive a notification. Can any other devs chime in on OTA update notifications?

I would like to know this too. All i know is that if you check on your notification sounds, there is one called "update". Now i dont remember if that one has always been there or not but i've never heard it before. It sounds nifty.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I may not have waited long enough (I generally downloaded them as soon as their release was reported by MR).

I suspect that once they do it out in the 'real world' with normal users Apple will push out the notice a few days after it goes live.

There will be folks like us rushing to do it the first day, I'm sure they'll only invite the 'normal folks' the day after once their servers have cooled down a bit.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
And in the same vain, I wish it was possible to be automatically notified of app updates. I know there's a battery concern, but it could easily be tied into wifi sync and/or iCloud backup when the phone is plugged in. Just add a toggle that says "automatically check for App updates when my phone is plugged in." Some dev should submit that.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Only for iOS updates.

I was pretty sure you developers can do delta updates for applications, but it was an iOS 5 thing only (you would lose backwards compatibility).

EDIT: Can't seem to find anything that says it is possible. Meh guess I am wrong.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
I know carriers in the UK have sent out text messages to tell users of iOS5, however I agree that it would be a good thing if all carriers worldwide did this.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

Why stereotype anyone who is not in your words a "normal user" a fanboy. I'm certainly not a normal user as you put it but I'm not a fanboy. There is really no need to use that term. :eek: :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.