Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
With iCloud, there really is no need to sync apps with my macbook. Does anyone know how i can stop the sync without iTunes wiping the apps off of my idevice?

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
Within iTunes click on 'iTunes' in the Menu Bar, and go to 'Preferences'

Then click on the 'Store' tab, and uncheck 'Apps'

i take you wanted to stop iTunes from automatically downloading Apps your purchased/downloaded from your iPhone, but i could be wrong, you mentioned syncing, so I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you meant, but hopefully i'm correct.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
Within iTunes click on 'iTunes' in the Menu Bar, and go to 'Preferences'

Then click on the 'Store' tab, and uncheck 'Apps'

i take you wanted to stop iTunes from automatically downloading Apps your purchased/downloaded from your iPhone, but i could be wrong, you mentioned syncing, so I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you meant, but hopefully i'm correct.

What I want to do is delete all the apps off of my MacBook and stop my phone from syncing apps. When I uncheck the sync app option, it says it will delete the from my phone too.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What I do, is go ahead and click "remove from device" and then click "apply" then immediately unplug the device befor it actually starts to sync. The setting will stick and the next time you connect it will not remove the apps.

shaivure

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What I do, is go ahead and click "remove from device" and then click "apply" then immediately unplug the device befor it actually starts to sync. The setting will stick and the next time you connect it will not remove the apps.

This works pretty well for me. Thanks for the tip! The only thing is that new or updated apps are still transferred to iTunes when I sync, but it's no big deal. I can just delete as I go.

Why Apple still wants us to have apps on our PCs now that we have iCloud is beyond me. Anyway, thanks for the workaround!

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY

Awesome! This trick worked for me too! Trying to be PC Free as possible with these iOS devices. It also helps save a lot of space on my MBA's SSD...

As of now, I 'manually manage songs and videos' so no more iTunes library syncing and I can take the 15GBs of music and movies off the SSD, and now with not having to sync 20GBs of apps and iCloud taking over iOS backups, the only thing I run to iTunes for is syncing photos, which I hope will be taken over by the iPhoto app itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.