PDA

View Full Version : Counter-Strike

jadam
Oct 8, 2002, 07:29 PM
if any of you mac users play CS, log on to the DKC or Hellmouth Servers, im Tempest over there so if you see me, waive!

ChoMomma
Oct 19, 2002, 02:31 PM
How do you play Counter-Strike on a Mac?

I'm really curious about that.

-Cho

voyagerd
Oct 19, 2002, 03:14 PM
CS for mac!!!! ooo oooo

job
Oct 20, 2002, 10:46 AM
He does not play CS on his Mac..

He plays on a PC..

Get Tactical-Ops if you want a Counter-Strike experience, only a little better.. :D

blogo
Oct 20, 2002, 12:02 PM
tactical ops is buggy and you are only saying that it is better because you cant play CS on your mac
:rolleyes:

sparkleytone
Oct 20, 2002, 12:05 PM
CS sucks. period. it used to be good. then it hit 1.1.

job
Oct 20, 2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Eple
tactical ops is buggy and you are only saying that it is better because you cant play CS on your mac

The game is based off of the original Quake engine..how many years ago was that?

I'm sorry, but I'd rather not play a game where little 11 year old piss heads type "i 0wn3d j00" and other **** like that.

CS sucks. End of story.

Draft
Oct 20, 2002, 03:57 PM

I agree. The UT engine was way better then the old Quake engine. This gives TO much better and more crisp graphics then CS.

Also, if you want to rip on macs, go somewhere else. This is a MAC community, if you haven't noticed.

Draft

job
Oct 20, 2002, 04:14 PM

I seem to recall CS had large amounts of cheating and bugs when it was at the same stage TO is now..

sparkleytone
Oct 20, 2002, 05:40 PM
HAD??

cheating is rampant in cs. has been ever since about 1.1. before it was a problem, now its so bad its common.

Rags
Oct 29, 2002, 12:45 AM
It sucks, I used to play it until around 1.2/3. At the end of the day it's still the most popular, check out sites like deadlyservers.com, artofwarcentral.com, recongamer.com, etc. They're making a "killing" on selling dedicated CS servers to kids :D

If it wasn't free it wouldn't be near as popular. If you don't have Half-Life already (which it's based on) you can pick it up for $2 at a computer show... plus it runs on practically any slow PC.

It has some good qualities... if you're into hosting a server, hlds is far better than other rcon/admin control setups. It has voice chat built in but hearing little 13yearold high pitched kids scream cuss words around kinda kills off any fun...

SoF 2 has replaced CS for me :P

Rags
Oct 29, 2002, 12:49 AM
If you can get WineX (http://www.transgaming.com) running on X you can possibly run CS on a Mac, would have to do some compiling though...

[Edit: WineX is designed for Linux, it may or may not work on the Mac and the "X" probably sounded confusing, don't get your hopes up too high ]

GetSome681
Oct 29, 2002, 01:51 AM
True that the graphics are older obviously...but if you've tried playing any of the newer "hot" online games such as battlefield 1942, etc., you'll know that the gameplay and communications in CS is just so much more fluid than anything else. Sure cheats suck...but most of the cheaters tend to move on to the newest game releases..so it's not that that bad.

Now if only I could get all these games on the mac...then I'd have no need for this crappy PC hehehe.

ChoMomma
Oct 29, 2002, 01:27 PM
Rags,

What graphics card do you have in your machine? and how well does your machine handle SOF2?

thx!

- IMHO SOF2 makes CS look like super mario bros. : )

job
Oct 30, 2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Rags
If you can get WineX (http://www.transgaming.com) running on X you can possibly run CS on a Mac, would have to do some compiling though...

[Edit: WineX is designed for Linux, it may or may not work on the Mac and the "X" probably sounded confusing, don't get your hopes up too high ]

Is it an emulator of sorts?

Rags
Oct 31, 2002, 09:26 PM
I fully agree with GetSome, CS is a game other studios need to take note. Add the success of AdminMod for server hosting and the intergrated voice communication, the game has practically standardized the way online gaming should play. You can add the realism and other CS and non CS aspects to make a new game great but please, RogerWilco and TeamSpeak on the PC isn't ideal and often times frustrating and all Mac voice programs either aren't supported by PC folks or too little people are available to join the voice room, provided you can even find a program to communitate over to begin with.

Another thing that's good about the game is the fact that little money has gone into making it and itself costs nothing to play. Goes to show you that big bucks and awesome graphics don't always make for an awesome experience. If you're shooting for an online title, better make it fun and exciting to play and if you can still fit the awesome graphics in, great all the better. If not stick to proven engines, it's better to have fun anyway. Three high ranking online shooter games are CS, Day of Defeat, and World War II Online. All of which are based on old or old looking graphics engines and yet they're still very popular.

About SoF 2 and my machine, I have a Radeon 9000. Works great and looks great to me. You should probably ask someone else though, I'm not the type that has his socks knocked off when playing games on a GeForce 4 4600. Looks the same as my 9000 at 800x600. Super high framerates aren't worth it for me, if I can have around 50 in small player games like SoF 2 and around 70 in Battlefield 1942 if it ever comes out for the Mac, I'm more than happy.

As for WineX it's more of a Windows compatibilty layer for Linux than it is an emulator. Run a Windows game on Linux and you'll see some drop in performance because of the converting from DirectX to OpenGL. You probably wont notice a difference in performace for any supported game. If you know what Wine is, WineX is the same thing but with DirectX 8.x support. Well in theory anyway.

WineX isn't open source I believe and costs around $15 so if you want to run Diablo 2, The Sims, Half-Life, Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike, or Jedi Knight 2 get it. If you want to run some other title it probably isn't worth it sad to say. It's still "Alpha" release in that it only supports games the WineX people babysit it to run and not because it works like it's proposed to do. Yet.