Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

requimrar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
So yeah, this is the story;

...I bought a new, 500GB 5400rpm Seagate Momentus (ithink) drive. Well then I waited for the delivery of my Torx set of screwdrivers. Then I realised I didn't backup, so I used Carbon Copy Cloner to backup the 80GB to a spare drive.

Following that, I installed the HDD without issue, restored all my stuff, and it boots up perfectly.

Now the problem: The macbook hangs on the white screen for around 20-30 seconds... Heres the normal boot routine:

Power > White screen 1 sec > Apple logo > Blue screen > Login > Done.
But instead, now it hangs at that white screen, for 20-30 seconds. The first time i actually thought I didn't install the HDD correctly as it would normally do that if EFI can't find an OS, but then it'll boot no problem after the wait.

What's up? I'm on the original 250GB now... And it's not a problem with CCC for sure, because the original was also subject to it after I hated on Lion. So it's pretty much the new 500GB HDD?

requimrar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Oh hay! It worked, thanks! But how does EFI even know what to boot from? Any why the 30 seconds 0.0

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
The EFI boots the system. It has to know where to go next. It was still looking for your other drive. After thirty seconds of failure, it gives up and moves on to what it sees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.