Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Hello,

I recently "investigated" a bit around and was playing with the thought to speed up my HDD-connection (for the Data Drive) via ethernet, just as an option. I looked at the "Inxtron/Macpower/Pleiades Taurus LAN" and found a review saying that it has a speed of 1,9MB/s!!! (tested on an Intel mac though).

Can't believe that it should be slower than USB1! Is it really that slow?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Sounds to me like the person doing that "review" was using 802.11b wifi. Even 100mbit ethernet would blow that away at around 8-12MB/sec.

If you buy a gigabit ethernet capable NAS and use cat 5e or even better cat 6 cable you will get 30MB/sec at the bare minimum and up to 70-80MB/sec if you use cat6.

thorns

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
In the review it says the very low speed is due to the file formats handled by the NAS (It only allows FAT32, Ext2 and Ext3).

Since NAS systems have been introduced to the SOHO market, their speeds don't really improve. It's still very expensive to buy a NAS which handles GBit speeds.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
no it is about the same as usb 1 (just a little faster), it was 1.9Mb/s, usb is 12Mbp/s mbp and mb are different, so usb 1 is about 1.5Mb/s and 1.9Mb/s is about 15.2Mbp/s, as that was probably over wifi you should be able to get much better speeds than that

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
ppc mac with tiger/leopard has notoriously slow transfer rates..

actually one of the main reasons i sold my Quad G5 and got a Mp1,1..

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
In the review it says the very low speed is due to the file formats handled by the NAS (It only allows FAT32, Ext2 and Ext3).

Since NAS systems have been introduced to the SOHO market, their speeds don't really improve. It's still very expensive to buy a NAS which handles GBit speeds.

So, maybe it is about the quality of the model of NAS. What NAS do you have Zen? What NAS did you have VanneDC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.