Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niallstarling

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Berlin, Germany
hi, couple of questions for anyone who uses the app in ios 5 and with snow leopard...

- how do you create a new list? or cant you?
- does it show it in ical? it doesnt seem to have replaced the to do list

thanks! :)

Last edited:

sigp6

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
You can start a new list by clicking the button in the upper left-hand corner (3 horizontal lines).

Not sure about iCal as I'm a Windows user.

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
Yeah reminders are synced to iCal
Go to View > Show Reminders

It's also viewable in the iCloud.com calendar

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It irritates me to no end that Apple did not integrate Reminders with the Calendar app. Now I have to check two apps to see what I'm doing for any given day. Very poor design!

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It irritates me to no end that Apple did not integrate Reminders with the Calendar app. Now I have to check two apps to see what I'm doing for any given day. Very poor design!

My reminders do appear in iCal in a list on the right hand side of the window. They do sync in both directions too. All the ones I created on my iPhone are also on my MBP, and vice versa. I just set iCal to sync with iCloud and it works fine. This must be one of the few advantages of upgrading to Lion :)

niallstarling

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Berlin, Germany
snow leopard...

My reminders do appear in iCal in a list on the right hand side of the window. They do sync in both directions too. All the ones I created on my iPhone are also on my MBP, and vice versa. I just set iCal to sync with iCloud and it works fine. This must be one of the few advantages of upgrading to Lion :)

So, I guess the answer is that only reminders sync through iCloud, and not through iTunes (I can't install Lion)

----------

You can start a new list by clicking the button in the upper left-hand corner (3 horizontal lines).

Not sure about iCal as I'm a Windows user.

That just gives me the list of what I have - Completed and "my calendar" Reminders. Apple say on their website there should be a dialogue here to create a new list - I guess also an iCloud only feature?

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
So, I guess the answer is that only reminders sync through iCloud, and not through iTunes (I can't install Lion)

----------

That just gives me the list of what I have - Completed and "my calendar" Reminders. Apple say on their website there should be a dialogue here to create a new list - I guess also an iCloud only feature?

I believe it only works with Lion as there was no seperate iCal update. There are three windows in the Reminders app: Completed, Reminders on my iPhone, and Reminders iCloud. The only ones that will sync to your iCal are the ones created under Reminders iCloud. And again, I believe it only works with Lion if you have your calendar set to sync with iCloud.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
My reminders all sync to iCal fine. There is a column on the right of the screen where they all show up.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
You guys are missing the point. I want my Reminders on my iPhone to also show in Calendar *on my iPhone*.

I shouldn't have to toggle between the two iPhone apps to see what I need to do for any given day.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
You guys are missing the point. I want my Reminders on my iPhone to also show in Calendar *on my iPhone*.

I shouldn't have to toggle between the two iPhone apps to see what I need to do for any given day.

Then just set a calendar event with an alert option. Reminders aren't meant to be viewed in iCal. They're useful if you want to be reminded of something when you arrive/depart a specific location. Otherwise, just use the calendar.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Then just set a calendar event with an alert option. Reminders aren't meant to be viewed in iCal. They're useful if you want to be reminded of something when you arrive/depart a specific location. Otherwise, just use the calendar.

You'd think that would be e first thing he did. Why go through another application when you can just make events right there?

You can even set multiple alarms for each event at different time frames.

anac

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
My grocery list (first list to try the app) which was set to 11:00 am today or when leaving my house went off at 2:25 am on my iPhone 4. Scared the hell out of me! It went off again when I left home at 6:00 am. There was no sign that it had gone off in the iPad 2. At 11:00 it went off on both. :confused: any idea why this happened? Hate to be up all night with reminders !

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Is there a way to see reminders in notification top bar which are due in a few days? Seems like it only shows reminders that are due the next day.

phlabse

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Going to bump this because I have a similar problem - and admittedly, I may just be an idiot. Here's the deal:

I'm a university student. I schedule my classes/work/meetings as events in my iCal. I have different assignments due different days - so I use the reminders function in iCal (on the right) to schedule in my syllabi with each assignments due dates.

In iOS5 on my 4S, I want the 'reminders' (that is, those assignments due for that day) to appear in the notification bar. However, simply having 'due dates' (for example, an assignment due on 10/31) will not show up on the notification bar).

I've read other sources suggesting that an 'alert' for the day after the assignment is due would do the trick. While setting an alert for the day after the actual due date (such that the assignment will appear in the notification bar), it designates that the reminder was 'yesterday'.

Perhaps I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but it's a little frustrating. And I rather not create 'events' that have the information that my reminders have in them (that is, particular assignments).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.