Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I've had nothing but problems with my windows computer so I'm finally switching to my first mac, so i apologize for any stupid questions in advance. But anyway, I'm gonna get a MBA 11 inch and was wondering if I should get the 2GB RAM with 64GB flash drive, or is it worth the extra money to get the one with 4GB RAM and 64GB flash, or get the 2GB RAM and 128 flash storage? All I would really use it for is using the internet, itunes (16GB music), typing papers, and the occasional powerpoint. If i get the cheapest one i will most likely get an external hard drive. I really dont know too much about stuff like this, especially macs, so any help works. Thanks!

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
2GB RAM is minimum for Mac OS X Lion, 4GB RAM is highly recommended. Instead of spending $100 for an additional 2GB RAM, you can spend $200 more and get the higher-end model which has 4GB RAM and 128GB. It offers better a lot better value than the entry model.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
honestly it is is worth it to upgrade the ram and the HD
You never know how much media you will end up wanting and needing. They are not very easy/ cheap to replace.
4gb of Ram is a must as they are not user replaceable

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Going to go against the grain and say the base model would suffice. All I use mine for is browsing, note taking, and the occasional programming and I haven't seen any slowdowns with only 2GB of RAM. However, I use mine in combination with an iMac incase I do need more speed, power or storage.

Dwee8le

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Amsterdam, Holland
There is no more 128GB 11" with 2GB of RAM in the 2011 models. There are only these two:

11" 64GB with 2GB RAM (BTO with 4GB is possible)
11" 128GB with 4GB RAM

There is also the possibility to upgrade the CPU in the 128GB version to a i7 instead of the i5. I think that 4GB is more or less mandetory to make your system "futureproof" (as far as that is possible). You cannot upgrade RAM on this particular device so choose wisely!

The i5 / i7 debate is something else. I think the i5 is good enough for you and if you want to use an external device for your extra storage needs, then the 64GB is also good enough. Keep in mind that with a typical install of OS X you are left with roughly 52GB of hard disk space. Personally, I would go with the 128GB, just to be on the safe side and it is only 100 euros more (in my country), which is less than 10% for twice the storage. This could also mean your device will keep a higher resale value if that is important to you.

Good luck with making a decision!

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
go for the 13inch MBA

I would go for the 13inch base MBA model. Thats the one I have and its amazing. Plus you may like the bigger screen size, and the extra money you will spend getting extra mem etc, is no worth it. Go for the 13inch with 4GB mem, if i was you.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
For what you'll be using it for I don't think you'll see much difference between the 2 and 4GB models. I'm using the 2/64GB model and it's blindingly fast for what I do, which is just basic stuff also.
If the models went up +cost price of the extra ram/ssd I might be offering different advice but I don't think it is worth the extra for you.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I went from the 2010 13" 1.86 C2D 4GB ram and 128 sad to the new 11" i5 4gb ram and 128 SSD. I am happy with my decision and the form factor of the 11". I take mine with me for work ever day.

Both are great machines and as most said I would spring for the 4gb of ram and the 128 ssd. You could consider the refurbished 11" at the apple online store for $1049 C2D 4gb ram, 128 ssd.

Either way the decision is yours and even going with the bottom base will be a good choice. The less you spend, is the less you will lose on a trade in, as history has shown....

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
I have the base model, works lovely with numerous developer tools (Xcode, Eclipse etc) Internet, iLife , document creating etc , i'd recommend it. You won't notice much of a difference between 2 vs 4 in light to medium use.

summitRun

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
You could always try the base model and see if its right for you. I went with the 4/128 and dont regret it but I had spent some time thinking and researching it so was pretty confident. There are ownership costs too. Software...Optical Drive...Case/Sleeve...all of which can set you back several hundred dollars easily. So if your budget is tight just keep that in mind...

TheDill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it. I went with the 4GB RAM, as just about everyone said I should get, and 64 GB flash. Supposed to be here Wednesday, excited for my first mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.