Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaduro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
I am looking for a portable external firewire hard drive. My question is what would be a better decision, to buy from a known brand or have one custom made, like getting a case and so on...... Can anyone point out a person or place that I can have a custom one made? BTW I don't know if "custom" is the right term to be used here :D Thanks.

Biker21098

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2002
CA
external HDD

maybe not custom, more of a build your own. I liek http://www.cooldrives.com I have used the one with the removable sleds so I can swap drives easily. also OWC, or even newegg.com. Cooldrives has a HUGE variety. I like enclosures with a fan, to help keep the drive cool, and I like enclosures that have a built in powersuppy, and not the power brick, that way I can use any old power cable with the enclosure and don't have to worry about bring the special power cable and power brick. Good luck, I have 4 externals, I love them.ran out of room in the G4 tower.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I do the same thing with all my drives. I always buy internal drives w/ external housing. I can easily switch drives, plus i think it save money doing it this way.

imaduro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Thanks for the replies :) Is there a site that can be recommended on teaching how to build one, sorry as you can see under my name I am noob :D, also I found this brand called iogear, they seem affordable and small anyone has any feedback on them? Thanks

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
imaduro said:
Thanks for the replies :) Is there a site that can be recommended on teaching how to build one, sorry as you can see under my name I am noob :D, also I found this brand called iogear, they seem affordable and small anyone has any feedback on them? Thanks

There's really nothing to it. You just open the external case and plug the ribbon cable and power plug into the drive (they're both keyed so they won't go in upside down unless you really force them). Then secure the drive with some screws (which I never bother to do). Close up the external case, plug the power cord in and USB/FW cable and it should work.

One thing to note is that drives have a jumper which needs to be in the 'Single/Master' position (default for new drives). The label on the drive usually has a picture of the jumper positions. Most times this does not need to be changed.

imaduro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Thank you, it really seems to be easy. I am going to browse cooldrives.com a little more..... if anyone has any more suggestions please post them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.