Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trackguy89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
So I have a rather large movie library, over 470 movies and 20 complete TV series. I have normally been ripping and compressing my movies to play through the WD TV I have right now.

However, I'm considering ripping my collection again in the form of .dvdmedia (VOB) files so I can have all the DVD menus, scene selection, extras, etc. I'm in the market to upgrade my media player to either the Apple TV or WD TV Live and am wondering if anyone has had success playing these files on or streaming to either of these devices (or another device I haven't found yet).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

trackguy89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Thanks for your quick response. I realize I wasn't as specific as I should have been. What I meant by playing .dvdmedia or VOB/ISO files was that when I selected a file on a external drive via the media player, it would look as if I popped the DVD into a DVD player and had fully navigable menus. I know my WD TV doesn't handle that but would the Patriot do that if since it supports VOB/ISO? Or would it just play each file individually (i.e. no menus)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.