Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
My 2011 base 13'' MBA loses internet so often.

Its so bad I would think it was my router, but turning of wireless and turning it back on fixes everything and allows webpages to load again.

It goes in long spurts with no problems and at this moment i have to turn it off and on between what feels like every web page.

Again, as soon as i turn it off and on, it works perfectly, which convinces me that it is not my provider.

Chopstick217

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA

Its so bad I would think it was my router, but turning of wireless and turning it back on fixes everything and allows webpages to load again.

It goes in long spurts with no problems and at this moment i have to turn it off and on between what feels like every web page.

Again, as soon as i turn it off and on, it works perfectly, which convinces me that it is not my provider.

No issues after I updated to 7.2

kp416

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
No issues after I updated to 7.2

I have 2 MBA's in my house, one is form 2009 and a 2011, with both having network problems with my Belkin wireless router and an old airport express (Wireless B). I ordered a refurbished Linksys E3000 and flashed it with dd-wrt and now everything connects and stays connected. Previously the connection would drop, not re-connect from sleep, and occasionally not work at all.

Since the new router was installed an configured everything has been working. I wish people would post the brand of wireless router when they complain about the problem.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
I was having major issues with wifi not reconnecting after sleep so I replaced my router with a brand new Apple Airport Extreme and the 2.4ghz network has the same problem.

However, once I set up the 5ghz wifi on it that one reconnects flawlessly. Pretty sure this is a lion bug that was introduced with 10.7.2, as it worked fine on both of our MBA and my Mac mini until I updated them.

andy.p

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
I am still having issues since updating to 10.7.2

This week, I bought my Macbook Air with Lion 10.7.1 preinstalled.

Bluetooth is turned off. Time Machine is not in use.

I have to manually connect to my wireless network every time I turn on my macbook, and after every sleep/resume. Also, after resuming, sometimes it takes ages for my home wifi network to show up again in the list, so I am unable to select it. I am only a few metres from the wireless router, and have never had a problem before connecting/autoconnecting to the wireless network, using other laptops, this includes an older ibook g4 we have here!

Once connected to the wireless network, it doesn't disconnect, so this is good. The only downside is having to manually connect to the network all the time. 'auto connect' seems to be broken.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
While 10.7.2 didn't fix all the issues, my 2011 MacBook Air loses its connection less often. What I've found is that I am more likely to need to reconnect if it goes into deep sleep (i.e. if it is not plugged in and I leave the lid down for more than an hour), though I'd say it's less than 10% of the time.

For whatever reason, Macs and Wi-Fi have issues sometimes that Windows PCs don't have. Do a search and you'll find a similar complaint about just about every Mac notebook. Oddly, iOS devices seem to connect without an issue, so I think it's something with Apple's OS X drivers.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
My wifi issues just started kicking up out of nowhere yesterday I'm wondering if its my router

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd try removing the network entirely from the Wi-Fi menu, and then setting it up again.

Neurobit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
United States
It's a bug in Lion.

I still have it after updating to 10.7.2 (13" ultimate).
It doesn't lose connectivity until it goes to sleep and the network drops upon waking up. Disabling and re-enabling the adapter resolves this until it goes to sleep again.
Removing and re-adding the networks in question has done nothing to resolve this for me.

It doesn't seem to discriminate, I experience this with Airport and 3rd party routers alike.

Neurobit

monofonik

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
I've been having problems connecting to WiFi since I bought my MB Air a few months ago, no improvements after recent software / EFI updates.

When waking from sleep, WiFi doesn't auto-connect to any preferred networks, and if I go to the Airport menu and select my network (which is consistently detected), I get a 'Connection Timeout' error. Usually I have to disable / re-enable Airport to establish a connection.

Driving me crazy... but otherwise love the machine

Haven't tried deleting my preferred networks, will give that a go.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Not me.

And my computer wakes from sleep "instantly" too.

I guess I just got lucky...double win!

oström

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011

Yes, not only on MBA but on ALL my lion macs, thinking of selling...

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
I've been having problems connecting to WiFi since I bought my MB Air a few months ago, no improvements after recent software / EFI updates.

When waking from sleep, WiFi doesn't auto-connect to any preferred networks, and if I go to the Airport menu and select my network (which is consistently detected), I get a 'Connection Timeout' error. Usually I have to disable / re-enable Airport to establish a connection.

Driving me crazy... but otherwise love the machine

Haven't tried deleting my preferred networks, will give that a go.
I'm getting this on the 13" MBP as well. Its not just the Air.

Kraznet

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
London UK
I've been having Wi-Fi problems with my MBA 13" 2011. Although the router is one of the preferred connections it still doesn't connect immediately and even when it is connected it is still searching for Wi-Fi connections, which is stupid. Waking up from sleep causes problems as well and I have to mess around to get it reconnected. I have 10.7.2 installed with all the latest updates. Pretty poor for such an expensive piece of kit and by my cheap Toshiba never gives me any problems.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I got issues too.
I have two different link sys wrt54g. one version 7 with linksys' firmware and one version 5 with dd-wrt.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I've been lucky, the update seems to have fixed my connection issues. I was having issues with Time Capsule connecting both Time Machine and having a live web connection even though it showed as an active wifi connection.

Since the update, I have only had to reset the network once - but that was related to an iTunes / Airport Express / iPhone Remote issue.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The fact that the forum isn't flooded with threads on this topic indicates that it's not an issue that affects the majority of MBA or Lion owners. If it were an issue with the MBA or with Lion, everyone would be experiencing the same thing. It makes sense to take a hard look at your operating environment, as there are many potential sources of interference with WiFi signals.

AirPort and Bluetooth: Potential sources of wireless interference
20 Myths of Wi-Fi Interference

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The fact that the forum isn't flooded with threads on this topic indicates that it's not an issue that affects the majority of MBA or Lion owners. If it were an issue with the MBA or with Lion, everyone would be experiencing the same thing. It makes sense to take a hard look at your operating environment, as there are many potential sources of interference with WiFi signals.

AirPort and Bluetooth: Potential sources of wireless interference
20 Myths of Wi-Fi Interference

I guess it's more that the issue isn't that big, just annoying.
You have to reconnect after sleep and sometime turn wifi on/off.

It is a real issue, since it has affected my MBA and not my 2010 MBP or any other machine I've tried. Most of the times it happens I'm even within 5-10 meters from the router

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.