PDA

View Full Version : iBook logic board replacment X2

joetronic
May 12, 2005, 07:46 AM
Last night my iBook returned from a logic board replacment for the second time in 4 months. I have been taking it to the Towson Apple store to get it replaced. This time it returned with two suprises:

It has more RAM then I gave it to them with. It now has 512, and I only had 256 installed.

It is filthy. There is some pen marks on the palm rest area, and the bottom is covered in this greasy like stuff. Also the key are real dirty like a auto machanic worked on it.

I bought the iClean kit to clean my iPod, so I think I will be able to clean it with no problems. Should I call the number on the invoice to complain or just clean it and get over it. Also, what should I do about the memory, should I say something and return it, or just keep it hush and don't tell anyone? I don't like being dis-honest, but I like the idea of free RAM.

Also on a side note. the first time I had the board replaced they wiped the HDD, this time they didn't. Any ideas as to why?

sigamy
May 12, 2005, 08:23 AM
I guess from the data on the HD you can tell that this is your computer? I was thinking that maybe they just swapped yours out for a different iBook.

I would call Apple and get a swap. If they treated your iBook this poorly on the outside who knows what they did to the inside...tell them you are not happy and see what they'll do. It is worth a phone call.

The extra 256mb RAM is only about $40. I'm sure you'd rather have a solid working machine than $40 worth of RAM.

ps--this is a G3 iBook, right?

joetronic
May 12, 2005, 08:35 AM
I guess from the data on the HD you can tell that this is your computer? I was thinking that maybe they just swapped yours out for a different iBook.

I would call Apple and get a swap. If they treated your iBook this poorly on the outside who knows what they did to the inside...tell them you are not happy and see what they'll do. It is worth a phone call.

The extra 256mb RAM is only about $40. I'm sure you'd rather have a solid working machine than $40 worth of RAM.

ps--this is a G3 iBook, right?

Yes this is the G3, 900 to be exact. It is mine, I can tell from the data. I have pics of the filth, and I think I will be make a few phone calls today. I noticed that the keyboard was not seated right as it has not left marks on the screen. The iBook works great, but this is a little nerve racking. I have a buddy that works as a genius at the Towson apple store, so I may be giving him a call as well.

sw1tcher
May 13, 2005, 02:45 AM
Don't know if you still have the original box or anything with the original serial #/part # to compare it to the one on the iBook you just got back. Maybe they just swapped out your HDD and put it in the iBook case instead of fixing/replacing the logic board itself?