Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Souljas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Hi,

I bought a Linksys WAG54g, I have wired it to my Mac and using it wirelessly with my PC laptop. I have set it up and thats all I really know how to do! I was just wondering does the network automatically become encrypted from the setup or do I have to do manual configurations?
also once I have secured the network is there anyway I can test to make sure it is secure?

Thanks
Soul

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
Souljas said:
Hi,

I bought a Linksys WAG54g, I have wired it to my Mac and using it wirelessly with my PC laptop. I have set it up and thats all I really know how to do! I was just wondering does the network automatically become encrypted from the setup or do I have to do manual configurations?
also once I have secured the network is there anyway I can test to make sure it is secure?

Thanks
Soul

the part of the network that is encrypted is the wireless one, if you have wired it to your mac then encryption is not necessary. For the wireless connection to your PC should should set up encryption in the router set up page, if you use WEP 128bit you will generate a key from the router config page that you then enter in the PC wireless set up, the router instructions should explain how to do it (i don't have that particular model or brand)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.