PDA

View Full Version : The Buzz Report: DVD storage is so over

MacBytes
May 12, 2005, 09:24 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The Buzz Report: DVD storage is so over (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050512102446)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Flying Llama
May 12, 2005, 10:02 AM
Hmm not bad of an article... raised a few good points, but the author seemed a little "i want this now!"

I need bigger, more portable hard drives (give me a 200GB hard drive in the form of an iPod, and you'll be thinking along my lines); big, big network-attached storage solutions; and cheap, high-bandwidth online storage. And that's just the storage element--when it comes to home theater, I want to be rid of physical media. I want a DVR with a terabyte of storage so that I can record all the high-def video I want. I want that DVR to be completely networked over my gigabit Ethernet connection so that I can download high-def video, transfer it to my DVR, watch it on my high-def TV, and completely cut out the DVD middleman.

Of course, I do too, many people do, but we don't, yet .
:rolleyes:

mrsebastian
May 12, 2005, 11:55 AM
what intrigues me is the that no one (as far as i've heard) has considered making smaller discs. blue ray/hd dvd is great, but what about the form factor. if you're gonna have a new format that won't be compatible with the dvd players we all have, why not break some new ground?! yes i know we all want to be able to play our old dvds on the hd dvd, so they make a multi-size tray that will work with both. anyway if they made the form factor smaller, say half the size, i think we'd all be more excited about the battle of blue ray/hd dvd.

shamino
May 12, 2005, 02:39 PM
what intrigues me is the that no one (as far as i've heard) has considered making smaller discs. blue ray/hd dvd is great, but what about the form factor.
3" DVDs already exist. They're intended for use in those few camcorders that record straight to DVD.

These discs only have a 1.4G capacity (about 30% of a full-size single-layer DVD's 4.7G capacity) so they're not terribly useful for other purposes, but there's no reason why you couldn't make HD-DVD or BluRay media in the same form factor.

Assuming the ratios remain the same, a 3" HD-DVD disc would hold 4.5G (single layer) or 9G (double-layer) and a 3" BluRay disc would hold 7.5G (single layer) or 15G (double layer.) That's enough to be a useful alternative to current DVD media.

Belly-laughs
May 12, 2005, 05:22 PM
The article suggests something I´ve been doing for years; using external HDs for portable storage and back-up. I now have three back-up HDs on the shelf, containg the equivalent of more than 300 CDs. It may be three times the price, but it´s a much easier way of creating a tidy back-up archive for future file searches, saving lots of time – and cupboard space. HDs can crash and burn, but over the years so have quite a few of my CDs as well, even if they are kept in jewel cases.

DVD/CD burning is at times required, but for personal storage I have no need for the high capacity disks on the horizon. As the article suggests, by the time they´re out, hopefully we have other means of loading those HD movies to our TV sets.

Lacero
May 12, 2005, 05:25 PM
Dumb article. Do you plan of giving away HDs to clients or friends?

Mr. Anderson
May 12, 2005, 05:34 PM
Well, DVDs and the future versions of them might be a little long in the tooth - but I for one look forward to the new technology so I can backup and store all the friggin harddrives on my machines. Regular DVDs just don't cut it and 200 gig iPods won't be suitable for long time storage/archiving.

D

Flying Llama
May 12, 2005, 06:55 PM
Well some people want DVDs, but not the author, she wants hard drives. But not me. I want no moving parts. Like RAM, like compactflash and all the others. Sure they are more expensive now, but they are much faster and make no noise. This is the way of the future!

MacSA
May 12, 2005, 07:06 PM
........oh great, DVD's are on their way out, and Superdrives aren't even a standard feature on Macs yet. :rolleyes: