Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bignelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2005
I'm in the UK, recently graduated, not a registered student any more, but could use the educational discount on my first ever iMac!

Anyone know whether Apple will actually ask for proof that I'm a student, or can I just insert the name of a university to get through to the Education Store?

Thanks for help

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
bignelly said:
I'm in the UK, recently graduated, not a registered student any more, but could use the educational discount on my first ever iMac!

Anyone know whether Apple will actually ask for proof that I'm a student, or can I just insert the name of a university to get through to the Education Store?

Thanks for help

AFAIK, they do random audits, so the answer is "maybe." I think they might have a policy for recent grads though? Not sure about that. Depends on what recent means.... Did you graduate in the last couple of months, or did you graduate last year?

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I wouldn't expect many welcoming responses. Most people on this board don't like to cheat apple.

If you are no longer a student, then no, you shouldn't be able to use your student discount. Whether or not they check? I am not sure, but I think majority will say it's a 50-50 chance. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

I am in a similar situation, and just graduated myself. I would LOVE to use my id for the discount, but don't really want to take that chance.

Maybe some others will offer some better responses, I am just going by what I have seen in the past. do a search, I am sure you will find some other answers.

Don

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
They will. I just got an email asking for student status verification before my order was completed. Once it was completed they would notify me via email before they shipped.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Its a random audit. 3 people from work ordered using their education discount (2 classed as teachers and one a student - I work at a teaching hospital) and only one got asked to fax in their details, and she was the only one who phoned in her order.

Both of the others orders are in manufacturing and will be shipped on Tuesday.

I'll be using mine at the end of the month for a PB - timed so that if new PB's get announced at WWDC I'll be upgraded to one!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
When I ordered my EDU Tiger Family pack from Apple store recently, I never had to confirm anything (I didn't even enter the full name of my University or Place, just UiB and the zip code).

That said, it is my understanding that they check more often the bigger the purchase, so unless you graduated so recently that you still have valid student id I don't think I would chance it... (not to mention the ethical side of it all...)

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
An ID won't cut it...you have to fax in a copy of enrollment verification.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
mac-er said:
An ID won't cut it...you have to fax in a copy of enrollment verification.

Not true. All I've ever had to fax them is my ID. I've been checked on 3 seperate ocassions.

As for whether or not you can use the discount, it depends. Students can still use the discount until 6 months after their graduation date.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I am a teacher and I have never been asked for my employment record from the school district, but I have only ordered software, Tiger, Panther, and Office 2004 using my education discount. Always purchase my hardware through my local Apple reseller to help support him. Maybe they will look at higher priced purchases more closely as well. I am not sure.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I live in the UK and am about to start university (in September/October). As of July, I will no longer be attending school, so I will have technically left full time education, and won't enter full-time education again until the end of September, when I start university.

I intend to purchase a new Powerbook and some software, including the Microsoft Office Student edition for OSX, either from Amazon.co.uk or the Apple Store.

Will it cause any problems if I purchase this student software while being out of education (but soon to return)? Or is it very unlikely I'll be asked to prove anything?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
thomasp said:
I live in the UK and am about to start university (in September/October). As of July, I will no longer be attending school, so I will have technically left full time education, and won't enter full-time education again until the end of September, when I start university.

I intend to purchase a new Powerbook and some software, including the Microsoft Office Student edition for OSX, either from Amazon.co.uk or the Apple Store.

Will it cause any problems if I purchase this student software while being out of education (but soon to return)? Or is it very unlikely I'll be asked to prove anything?
You won't be asked anything with respect to Office - the edu package/pricing falls under MS's domain there, not Apple's, and MS is - surprisingly - extremely generous about who qualifies for it.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
jsw said:
You won't be asked anything with respect to Office - the edu package/pricing falls under MS's domain there, not Apple's, and MS is - surprisingly - extremely generous about who qualifies for it.

OK - thanks for the reply :)

I still find it surprising that MS offer almost identical code for 1/3 the price, and the only catch (that I'm aware of) is that you can't upgrade to a newer version of Office. Mind you, the upgrades seem to cost as much as the student edition :confused:

Caramel

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2005
I'm a student and i never had to fax, email or anything when i purchased from them...

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
thomasp said:

If you have a confirmed place in university then you qualify as still in full time education, no worries. Just quote your uni and they should back you up if you want to make a purchase!

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
"Do Apple check whether you are a registered student?"

If you talk like that when you order it, I'm guessing there's a good chance they'll check.

AnewMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2004
The Northern Plains of OK!
tsk said:
"Do Apple check whether you are a registered student?"

If you talk like that when you order it, I'm guessing there's a good chance they'll check.

Absolutely hilarious. I laughed out loud in school! Oh and by the way I have never been asked to verify my educational discount.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
AnewMac said:
Absolutely hilarious. I laughed out loud in school! Oh and by the way I have never been asked to verify my educational discount.

LOL, one should probably mention that in British English, that's considered grammatically correct. :p :eek: :D

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Apple UK went to extraordinary lengths to get hold of me when I made my last Educational purchase. Don't screw the system, chances are it'll come back and bite you.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
rossoUK said:
can i ask just how much is this educational discount? Thanks

For Microsoft Office, the price comes down from over GB£300 to a couple of pounds over GB£100

That's quite a saving for not being able to upgrade!

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I am at college, soon to be at uni this October, but i have ordered my old iMac/a Mac Mini/An iPod and a few others bits and pieces via the online education store without a phone call/fax, you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.