Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
As long as the backup doesn't fail you won't lose anything...I would HIGHLY recommend backing up photos to iPhoto or the like before performing the iOS 5 update tho! I've updated 2 iPhone 4's and 2 iPad 1's and both of them failed the backup before installing....I did a manual backup sync before attempting tho so it was fine.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
OK, so if I have to get a new iphone if I lose mine, I can restore and it will be in the exact state as it was before... Great. Thanks!

It will be in the exact state it was when it was last synced, so make sure you back up regularly.

iHavequestions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
I'm also assuming if I had password login to my apps, those passwords would be retained so I don't have to sign in to every one of them?

And what about files like notepad or even files from non-apple apps? I have Safe Note which is a notepad you can lock. Will all my docs in there be restored too? I'm not sure if they are stored on my iPhone or on their server...

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm also assuming if I had password login to my apps, those passwords would be retained so I don't have to sign in to every one of them?

And what about files like notepad or even files from non-apple apps? I have Safe Note which is a notepad you can lock. Will all my docs in there be restored too? I'm not sure if they are stored on my iPhone or on their server...

Check the iTunes pages for any file apps you have. (Meaning, apps that replicate the functionality of a USB drive.)

I have some that back-up as part of the normal backup, but then I had one that wanted me to do something special before I restored my phone so that the files got saved correctly.

That's kind of weird and I don't know why they did that, but I came across it once. They explained it in their description page on the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.