Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieDplus3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
I cannot get this to work.

I am VERY new to the mac world. We picked up the new iPod Touch for our daughter (our first apple device), and I have been trying to add movies to itunes so that she can watch them on her device.

I have .avi files that have been converted to .mp4 using both AVSVideo Converter and Bigasoft. I've tried dragging the file to itunes, and get no reaction from itunes. I've tried using the "Add File to Library" method and still no reaction from itunes.

I'm not sure what I'm missing. Your support is appreciated.

dxstewart

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Have you tried right clicking the file and selecting 'open in itunes' or you could try changing .mp4 extension to .m4v. I have converted and added many .avi files to my itunes, but I prefer Handbrake... even if it takes awhile sometimes.

Hope you get it to work!

FrankieDplus3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Have you tried right clicking the file and selecting 'open in itunes' or you could try changing .mp4 extension to .m4v. I have converted and added many .avi files to my itunes, but I prefer Handbrake... even if it takes awhile sometimes.

Hope you get it to work!

I've tried .mp4 and now, I have tried .m4v. Still no success.

The easy part is converting the movies to the proper format. I have now done that using both AVSVideo Converter and Handbrake. The problem I am having is actually adding the file to itunes. I have tried to click and drag the files to itunes and the transfer is ignored.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I used to be able to click on hand braked m4v movies that were on the desktop and it automatically added them to iTunes. Now i have to use the add to: feature of the iTunes menu to accomplish this.

FrankieDplus3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
I have no problems copying/transferring mp3s. I still can't add any movie files.

Does it matter that I own an HP mini netbook?
Do I need QuickTime on PC?

Fresh Tendrils

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Are you trying to add the files to itunes on a mac or a pac? If its a PC, I would suggest that you try searching the itunes for windows support forum on Apple's site for an answer. You might be more likely to find an answer there.

If your using a mac, then do your files open ok in quicktime? Try it. If they do, then they should add to itunes, if not then maybe you've done something wrong in the encoding. Also, make sure you have the latest version of itunes installed.

Lastly, if your using a mac, instal perian and vlc player [if you haven't already]. They won't help with transferring to your ipod, but they will allow you to play virtually any file on your mac. You can get them at macupdate.com

Sorry I can't help more :eek:

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Normally, when you install iTunes, it will also install Quicktime. I think you should try to uninstall your iTunes, and then restart your computer, download the newest version of iTunes to install. Sometimes, MP4 can not add into iTunes because this video is not MP4 video with H.264 code. iTunes can only support MP4 video with H.264 code.

FrankieDplus3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
It turns out that I never had QuickTime installed on my PC, I must have excluded it when I was installing iTunes. So, installed QuickTime this morning. I then dragged and dropped my movie files into iTunes with no problems. Easy Peasy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.