Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robweg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Hey,
i have iOS5 on my ip4 for a week now, and i started to notice that GPS doesn't work as well as before the Update. Iin fact in my case, its quite bad. Navigon as well as Maps need a very long time to get a location fix (clear day!), they loose the signal quite often and worst of all, the location is often off by 50 -100 meters, so that it thinks you are on completely different street.

Its bugging me a lot, cause since i upgraded from my 3G to iP4 i was quite happy with the huge improvements in the GPS area. Always(!) a fix in under 5 seconds and never any problems while navigating. I even used to get a near perfect location fix in my appartment (penthouse), i could even see myself (the dot) moving through my flat when i was walking. Since iOS5, Maps locates me around 50 meters away from my flat.

I didnt see any other posts about this, so: Am i the only one with this problem?
cheers, rob

Last edited:

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
It's more likely that the GPS satellites have been tasked elsewhere, and it's just coincidence that it happened when you upgraded to iOS5.

Anything within 100m is good in GPS terms. Anything better than 5m is excellent and rare.

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Do you have your location services turned ON for GPS and Maps? (have to ask you know, nothing personal) My GPS is great on my iP4 running iOS5

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It's more likely that the GPS satellites have been tasked elsewhere, and it's just coincidence that it happened when you upgraded to iOS5.

Anything within 100m is good in GPS terms. Anything better than 5m is excellent and rare.

:confused::confused::confused:

Either a poor attempt at a humorous post, or just completely incorrect information. I can't tell which.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
It wasn't. Here in the UK, GPS is rarely accurate, depending on where the satellites are.

That's why Europe is launching the GALILEO satellites, so Europe doesn't have to rely on the US military GPS satellites.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I think it has got something to do with iOS 5, because Maps used to track me down to within a few metres on iOS4, and now it is often out by like 50m. It's shocking.

Ligerzero

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
You arent the only one. I upgraded last week and had to go on a trip. Basically the gps was crap. Used to be fine on ios4 but ever since moved to ios5, i constantly lose gps fix even on a clear day, and when i use tomtom, sometimes it just says poor gps reception. When i switch over to sygic, it displays 2 bars of gps but the fix is all over the place. This is on an iphone4 by the way. Is there a fix to this?

iwantlinuxsuppo

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Me too !
I have come to totally rely on Navigon/iphone4 but today I landed in San Francisco and it was a nightmare getting to my hotel. Basically, I never got a good lock on my location, it was always at 100meter or worse resolution and Navigon pretty much gave up. This had NEVER happened to me before on ios 4, BTW I upgraded to ios 5 about a week ago (I've not used GPU after the upgrade until today).

Will69

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
It wasn't. Here in the UK, GPS is rarely accurate, depending on where the satellites are.

That's why Europe is launching the GALILEO satellites, so Europe doesn't have to rely on the US military GPS satellites.

So if the US military needs navigation in Europe it's screwed? I don't think so. There are other reasons that Europe and the Russians and probably China too want their own system. But those reasons are only partly technical ones.

Also, at what point do we focus on the topic of the OP as opposed to the terrible grammar and spelling?
So distracting.

iArch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
All Over
And here I've been wondering if there's something wrong with my 4S. Navigon is indeed now crippled. So much so that I deleted, redownloaded and reinstalled the app. To no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.