Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsg951

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Hi have a G4 Power Book 12" with a power failure problem. About 6 months ago, I replaced the ac adapter after it completly failed. The new ac power adapter worked fine, but I noticed it seemed unreasonably warmer than before & the computer would get warmer too & the fan would cycle on & off more frequently. Fast forward 6 months of normal use in this condition & now the ac adapter shuts off after 10-15 seconds of use. If I unplug the adapter & plug it back in, it will work for another 10-15 seconds. I've also noticed that it will cycle orange to green back to orange again even if I touch the mouse pad or click an envelope. The battery itself has been no good for about a year & won't hold a charge.

Is this power adapter going bad or has anyone experienced problems like this?

Tanner1294

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
It sounds like the adapter has problems. I do NOT recommend that you continue using it. The adapter could be faulty, or it could be the wrong voltage.
If you don't think it's the adapter then you could try resetting the PRAM of your PowerBook by pressing and holding Command, Option P + R after the chime (keep holding until it chimes again). Or you could look at this as well: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431?viewlocale=en_US

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.