Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammiexbooya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Am just wondering whether or not the iCloud is an actual STORAGE database for music and such. Whenever I go into my settings, it only ever gives me the options to back-up everything like contacts, apps etc, but not my music and videos.

In my mind, like the iTunes, where I can pick and choose what music I want to go into my iPhone, the iCloud is a separate database that I can access and choose out of all the songs/videos in there, what specific ones I want to move into my iPhone.

Or am I wrong? Just that I can't see why they are giving us the option to buy extra GB memory for the iCloud if I can't actually physically store music/videos in it.

I'd just like to be able to shift music/videos about between the Cloud and my iPhone.

Or is it just that I don't know how to get full use out of this service? My settings on the iPhone isn't giving me the option to back-up music/videos anyway.

Just for the record, I understand that if I purchase music from iTunes, it puts it into my iTunes automatically, I know that much. But what about STORAGE?!

Would be great if someone could read through my ramblings and help a first-time iPhone user ;) ta!

wrkn4livn

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Am just wondering whether or not the iCloud is an actual STORAGE database for music and such.....
This is what I understand, that we were able to store all our music, photo's on the iCloud and it will not count against the 5G. I have been using the Cloud for years to store all my documents. It was a great feature that allied my to access my work files from any system as well as protect them (I can re-install MAC OS without worrying about loosing important files as they are all up in the cloud). I don't see how to get the music, photo's up there. I don't think Apple has done very good training on this. I'm at a loss.
I'll be watching this Post to see if Apple gets on here to help. If you (or I) get anymore info, please post. Thanks
Paul

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Apple never said you could just throw music and videos into iCloud and have them work. They were very specific from day one that iTunes in the Cloud, an integral feature of iCloud, only applied to purchases from the iTunes store, or to you iTunes library if you added iTunes Match for a yearly fee. Same with photos, they never said it was a photo locker, they clearly spelled out that photo stream was the pictures portion of iCloud. Just because you can't interpret simple english, doesn't mean the system isn't working as intended.

wrkn4livn

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Apple never said you could just throw music and videos into iCloud and have them work. They were very specific from day one that iTunes in the Cloud, an integral feature of iCloud, only applied to purchases from the iTunes store, or to you iTunes library if you added iTunes Match for a yearly fee. Same with photos, they never said it was a photo locker, they clearly spelled out that photo stream was the pictures portion of iCloud. Just because you can't interpret simple english, doesn't mean the system isn't working as intended.

(I'm thinking to myself,.. This guys an A..hole)

Everybody I've talked with about this is thinking they would be able to "store" music and photo's on the iCloud. Hence the comment that these will not count against the 5G. So, perhaps it's not as clear as you think to the average user. Don't be so judgmental.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
How much clearer can it get? Its silly to think that you won't get called out on something when you obviously haven't taken the time to read about it on your own instead of making assumptions based on nothing, especially when you're complaining about something not working when you haven't even taken the time to look up whether or not its even SUPPOSED to do that.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 189

wrkn4livn

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
How much clearer can it get? Its silly to think that you won't get called out on something when you obviously haven't taken the time to read about it on your own instead of making assumptions based on nothing, especially when you're complaining about something not working when you haven't even taken the time to look up whether or not its even SUPPOSED to do that.
I'll give you that. I need to read up on this to better understand this. I've been using MobileMe for years and that's pretty straight forward. I even have my iTunes music up there... That said, even reading your thumbnail drop, one could infer that music and photo's are "stored" somewhere in the iCloud because "it doesn't count against the 5G". I guess I was thinking MobleMe=iCloud but it's sounding more like Apples and Oranges.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I'll give you that. I need to read up on this to better understand this. I've been using MobileMe for years and that's pretty straight forward. I even have my iTunes music up there... That said, even reading your thumbnail drop, one could infer that music and photo's are "stored" somewhere in the iCloud because "it doesn't count against the 5G". I guess I was thinking MobleMe=iCloud but it's sounding more like Apples and Oranges.

iCloud's ultimate goal, I think, is to get away from the standard file system that many love, but often times can confuse new users and honestly is an old relic from the early computing days. It aims to transform this mess into something cleaner by organizing everything transparently as application data that is then used by specific apps, so the user never has to see it anywhere but in a ready to go fashion. And the thumbnail is also very specific in saying that its purchased music and that its "stored," not just "saved." the distinction is a hard one to grasp, but its not simply thrown into the space, its actively indexed and managed in an orderly fashion, which in the case of music, means its in the Music app basically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.