Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_2010_oblique-150x100.jpg
Earlier this month, Apple released Apple TV software version 4.4, adding a number of new features to the set-top box including Photo Stream support, AirPlay mirroring, and NHL and Wall Street Journal content. The update was not without its issues, however, as a number of users reported that the update temporarily bricked their devices, requiring that they be connected to iTunes with a micro USB cable that is not included with the device.

Less than a week later, Apple released version 4.4.1 of the Apple TV software to address some of those previous issues, but the new update was also met with complaints of Apple TVs needing to be connected to iTunes to restore. Apple quickly pulled the update and re-released it a day later, presumably fixing the issues.

Apple has now released yet another software update for the Apple TV, pushing out version 4.4.2 today to hopefully resolve the issues once and for all. Apple details some of the issues in a support document addressing the update.
Apple TV devices with software version 4.4 and 4.4.1 have an issue with updating software to later versions. The recommended way to resolve this is go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings, prior to updating. Note: If you apply the software update without resetting all settings first, the updater will reset the settings for you.

Once the Apple TV has been reset, you can then successfully update to the latest software by going to Settings -> General -> Update Software.

We recognize that this is an inconvenience and apologize.
The $99 Apple TV set-top box offers access to a wide variety of media sources and features, including TV and movie content from the iTunes Store, Netflix streaming, sports content, AirPlay streaming, and iCloud integration. The company is also set to be working on an actual connected television set, with those rumors receiving significant attention in recent days.

Article Link: Apple Releases Apple TV Software 4.4.2 to Resolve Updating Issues

Holyghost

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Madison, WI
4.4.2 update asks me to connect to iTunes..

Just updated to 4.4.2 and my AppleTV2 is demanding I plug it into iTunes. Glad it fixed that issue....

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Was sitting here waiting for it to finish updating, then I hear "WELCOME TO APPLE TV" blasting from my speakers.

Apple please turn off that automatic speaking. Almost gave me a heart attack.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Take your time Apple, lets get it right the first time. I don't want to think that Steve baby is going to become Microsoft bloatware. :(

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Update went off just fine, but JEEZ, I hate having to renter all my info, network, netflix, .mac account etc. all over again. Why can't it somehow save that info somewhere.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Update went off just fine, but JEEZ, I hate having to renter all my info, network, netflix, .mac account etc. all over again. Why can't it somehow save that info somewhere.

Like iCloud perhaps? Hopefully, it's coming.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
Guess I'll still hold at 4.4 until this all gets ironed out. No need for anything added to .1 or .2 as far as I can see.

----------

You'd think they'd have a remote type app for the Mac (to use a real keyboard), or better yet, allow all of this data to be entered and stored in iTunes to transfer over once you connect it up (and to make changes after the fact).

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
Same.

Hate having to enter all the information (like joining the network) through the cluggy interface again though.

AirPlay doesn’t work very well for me, but there were no issues otherwise.

just get the Remote app for your iPhone/iPod touch/iPad and use the keyboard from there. I dont even know where my aluminum remote is anymore, because the Remote app is so good and works really well. I couldn't stand entering in text with the included remote

----------

Guess I'll still hold at 4.4 until this all gets ironed out. No need for anything added to .1 or .2 as far as I can see.

----------

You'd think they'd have a remote type app for the Mac (to use a real keyboard), or better yet, allow all of this data to be entered and stored in iTunes to transfer over once you connect it up (and to make changes after the fact).

there is the Remote app from Apple that is available for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad works really really good. Not really practical to have an App for the computer to type for your Apple TV since most of the time they arent in the same room. And the point of the 2nd gen was that you didnt need to sit down in front of your computer to set it up and get it running. iOS is the way to go!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Take your time Apple, lets get it right the first time. I don't want to think that Steve baby is going to become Microsoft bloatware. :(

Not sure how a glitch (pretty serious one, I'll give you that) equals bloatware. AppleTV features are pretty slim. Also Apple released plenty of buggy s/w (and OSes) when Jobs was in charge. It's embarrassing but everything designed by humans is falible. Let's not be so hypercritical.

It does a reset. I would not want the AppleTV itself to save personal data. Think about it -- when you eventually sell, give away, or toss your AppleTV and reset it do you want others to be able to access this hard "saved" data? I'm guessing not. Reentering is a PITA, but safer than having it saved to a chip.

But it would be a nice feature if iCloud could store your encrypted info and then feed it to iCloud after an install. That way you'd only have to enter one UID/PW.

LaCosta

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
If steve jobs indicated he finally cracked TV simplication and appears Apple is headed towards the tv frontier....they better watch out for release of software updates like this release. It ruined the netflix experience where it was constantly spooling

I upgraded and no more spooling. Appears they fixed it

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
just get the Remote app for your iPhone/iPod touch/iPad and use the keyboard from there.

That's all well and fine if you actually have an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad.

there is the Remote app from Apple that is available for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad works really really good. Not really practical to have an App for the computer to type for your Apple TV since most of the time they arent in the same room.

In my case they are... My desk sits in the living room where (among other reasons) I can watch TV while sitting there. I wouldn't be looking to use the computer to navigate around between shows/movies and such, but I'm thinking about those times when you would have the keyboard show up on a iTouch device.

But I think even a settings tab when you're looking over the ATV in iTunes would be good.

handygeek

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Were there any improvements other than the install process not bricking people? My updated to 4.4 worked fine - not sure I really need this update hassle.

testerdennis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Update Is Back On Line

Just turned on my Apple TV2 and it said new update available!!!!!
I now have 4.4.2 Software.

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
Just updated to 4.4.2 and my AppleTV2 is demanding I plug it into iTunes. Glad it fixed that issue....

I just had the same experience and I've no idea where to find those micro USB cables. Am not happy about having to buy a bloody cable because the update failed...

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Same here. After the update it reset all my settings, which is very annoying. Then after I had set them all up again it said there was another update available.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
speaking of updates on ATV2, I thought it now supports subtitles with netflix but I don't see the option of turning it on anywhere.

Can't wait for the jailbreak to come back so I can reinstall xbmc.

ian.

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
Houston, TX
Someone help me out here...

Now it says "AirPlay Mirroring". Is this AirPlay as we already know it, where we can only show Video, Photos, and cooperating Apps on the TV?

OR...

Is it actual Mirroring, where we can now see our iPhone 4S and iPads on the TV completely, as if we were using the Digital AV Adapter and we can see EVERYTHING we do on the phone???

dlkraft

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
speaking of updates on ATV2, I thought it now supports subtitles with netflix but I don't see the option of turning it on anywhere.

Can't wait for the jailbreak to come back so I can reinstall xbmc.

Use the up arrow. It pops up a window.

----------

Use the up arrow. It pops up a window.

Sorry, while "Watching" Netflix, hit the up arrow a few times. That was on 4.4

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Someone help me out here...

Now it says "AirPlay Mirroring". Is this AirPlay as we already know it, where we can only show Video, Photos, and cooperating Apps on the TV?

OR...

Is it actual Mirroring, where we can now see our iPhone 4S and iPads on the TV completely, as if we were using the Digital AV Adapter and we can see EVERYTHING we do on the phone???[/QUOTE]
Yes, Mirroring everything on the iPad 2 / iPhone 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.