Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epcomworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
- Person who helps solve this problems – will be mailed a USB 3.0 PCI Sonnet Card –

Card in Question: Sonnet Allegro USB 3.0 PCIe

Problem: I have a Lacie USB 3.0 External Hard Drive. I have a Power Macintosh G5 2.5 Ghz Quad Core Computer with several extra PCI Express slots. I purchased a USB 3.0 card slot hoping that it would be able to run on 10.5.8. Now I know the site says that it only supports 10.6 and later, but I chose this PCIe card for a special reason. After downloading the drivers from Lacie, CalDigit, etc. – the achieve extract of the content package was a .kext file that was universal not Intel – this gave me hope that with some adjustment the PowerPC platform would be able to operate this PCIe card.

Steps I took to make it work:

1. I attempted to run the installer that came with the application / driver, however, when it started the post install script it failed with a message to contact the software manufacturer for support. The contents of the post install script are as follows:
a. echo "source package path: $1"
b. echo "package destination: $2"
c. echo "mount point of dest: $3"
d. echo "installer framework: $4"
e.
f. /usr/sbin/chown -R root:wheel "$2"/SXHCD.kext
g.
h. /usr/bin/touch /System/Library/Extensions
i.
j. exit 0
2. I then tried to place the .kext file into the system extensions folder, however, when I rebooted the computer system the a messaged popped up saying that the “SVHCD.kext” file was installed improperly and to re-install the application or contact the software provider.

I’m not sure what else to do and since the USB .kext files such as iousbfamily, etc. (the other dependencies the driver depends on list 6 other USB dependencies, I didn’t want to touch them all – as I did not know what I was touching.)

Is there something I can alter in the post install script to make the driver install? Let me know any thoughts. As I said above – the person who helps me solve this will get one of these cards as a prize. Hope we can bring USB 3.0 to Leopard and the much under loved and appreciate Power Macintosh G5 systems. My G5 computer runs great and still has many years of use left.

Last edited:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the biggest problem you got there is USB 3.0 is basically windows only , that card works even in a MacPro under 10.6 only with huge limitations , even a netbook running Windows with USB 3.0 can take full advatabe of USB 3.0 , backwards compatibly and support for all peripherals that can be connected ,
so its no so much your PowerMac thats causing the problem or OSX 10.5 , its the general lag of available drivers for PPC and and OSX support in general ,you cant just use intel Mac drivers and put them in a PPC Mac, ok it would be nice if we could because then we could easy run all those intel only apps too

Last edited:

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Chances are good that using USB 2.0 will give you adequate speeds, unless you're doing something exceptionally demanding. If this is the case, then plug it into a USB 2.0 port and stop worrying!

CptAwesome

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Your probably best off with a USB2 card to be quite honest. I have one in my G4 and it works well. I highly doubt you'd see a massive benefit of a USB3 card (if it would work) on a system of that age

Just my 2 cents anyway

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
try installing the kext using this procedure

Copy kext to extentions folder, then run these commands:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 KextName.kext
chown -R 0:0 KextName.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (your comp should recreate this on next boot, therefore "installing" the kext properly)

I recommend you backup all important files before you try this, as messing with kexts can make your system unbootable

Reactions: dextructor

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
why would he buy a USB2.0 card? he has a Quad G5, already has usb 2.0..

what about Esata? not sure about support for PPC, but they go up to 6gb/s, ive got 2 in my MP..

epcomworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
As for USB 3.0 - I have tried a variety of things to get it to work - without much success. I believe the .kext files for main dependicies such as IOPCIFAMILY and IOUSBxxx, need to be adjusted to recognize the card. I believe that the card will work - it just needs some help getting to the 10.5 driver form in order to so. The universal driver packaging allows PPC machines to read it. Now with the necessary system adjustments to address the card when necessary the system will work with USB 3.0.

Also the PowerMac G5 Quad machine blazes through everything included 1080p files you throw at it with room to move around still. This is a great mac and handles everything easily. I am sure there is many years of life left with the system - its to bad development is halting for such a great machine.

epcomworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
As far as the eSata goes - Sonnet makes a 6gb compatible card for Power Macintosh G5.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/temposataiii6gbpcie.html

The card name is Sonnet Tempo PCIe 2.0 - whether the nomenclature stands for requires a PCIe 2.0 slot or just a regular PCIe slot I am not sure. It might just stand for the 2.0 (2nd card generation) after the introduction of their first 3gb eSata PCIe card.

According to the manuals there does not seem to be a restriction to obtain the faster speed on a Power Macintosh G5. It just seems that a user much have an open PCIe slot and the specified version of Mac OS X. So this card may be the solution to getting 6gb on a Power Macintosh G5 computer. The difficulty in testing this is it would all have to be done with external hard drives (maybe ssds - to see the speed). There is no doubt in my mind that the processor and bus technology on the G5 Quad especially could handle the throughput easily for the 6gb speeds. But transferring from the internal hard drive to the external 6gb Sata card - one will be limited by the 1.5gb SATA onboard. However, a RAID set-up on the card will probably perform much faster.

Below is the start-up manual and as you can see there should not be a restriction with the Sonnet Card on the Power Macintosh G5 Computer with PCIe.

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
As far as the eSata goes - Sonnet makes a 6gb compatible card for Power Macintosh G5.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/temposataiii6gbpcie.html

The card name is Sonnet Tempo PCIe 2.0 - whether the nomenclature stands for requires a PCIe 2.0 slot or just a regular PCIe slot I am not sure. It might just stand for the 2.0 (2nd card generation) after the introduction of their first 3gb eSata PCIe card.

I'm afraid it requires PCIe 2.0. SATA 6Gb = 600 MB/s, PCIe 1.0 250 MB/s per lane. Card is 1x lane compatible, so it won't work at full speed, if it would work at all. Correct me if I'm wrong.

epcomworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I'm afraid it requires PCIe 2.0. SATA 6Gb = 600 MB/s, PCIe 1.0 250 MB/s per lane. Card is 1x lane compatible, so it won't work at full speed, if it would work at all. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure that it will work in the Power Mac G5 - probably at SATA 3 speeds. I would e-mail Sonnet if you are truly interested. They advertise on their website and manual about 6GB speeds from this card and the Power Macintosh G5 being compatible. See what they - it seems like it needs to be clarified. If it does support the full 6 somehow - that would be very cool.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
The universal driver packaging allows PPC machines to read it.

Are you sure it has PowerPC code that supports 10.5? It's possible to build source code against the 10.6 SDK for the PowerPC platform, but if you use anything that requires anything that's new to 10.6, it won't work on any shipping PowerPC, since they don't actually run 10.6. It's a simple checkbox that they may have forgotten to turn off. Just because it has PowerPC code doesn't mean it'll work on 10.5.

epcomworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Are you sure it has PowerPC code that supports 10.5? It's possible to build source code against the 10.6 SDK for the PowerPC platform, but if you use anything that requires anything that's new to 10.6, it won't work on any shipping PowerPC, since they don't actually run 10.6. It's a simple checkbox that they may have forgotten to turn off. Just because it has PowerPC code doesn't mean it'll work on 10.5.

The card driver does seem to have the PowerPC code within the driver. Your point above is correct - the 10.5 system is missing the necessary .kext files to address the card and support the USB 3.0 software. However, I am currently working with several programmers during our spare time to correct this. If we can put the necessary support within the PowerPC iousbxx, iopcifamily.kexts - USB 3.0 may actually be able to come to the PowerPC Platform. Keep your fingers crossed.

W123

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
USB3 will never work with PPC, the two hardware platforms are not compatible.

SHartz40

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I'm using a PCMCIA to 34 mm Expresscard USB 3.0 adapter with my Apple Mac Powerbook G4 1.25 GHZ with 2 gm ram Aluminum running Leopard.

The 34mm card supplies power to a USB fan, but my Monster Digital USB 3.0 SSD is not recognized . So Expresscard IS supplying power via my slot.

What do I need to do to get the small Monster SSD to be recognized on my system?? Driver???

The Monster SSD IS recognized and usable through my standard onboard USB 2.0 slots and a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and functions fine, but I want USB 3.0 speed (or at least over USB 2.0 speed.....) Should be possible.

I tried installing the Snow Leopard GenericusbXHCL.kext* mentioned by some, but did not help ):*

Has anyone done a driver for PPC and Leopard??* BTW, there seem to be multiple work-arounds for Snow Leopard and beyond.* (TonyMacs, etc) 

Thanks!

Any suggestions. It seems YOU have troied the hardest to get this uissue accomplished and your efforts ARE appreciated...
Steve

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
No, as far as I have found, nobody has successfully gotten a USB 3.0 chipset to work on PowerPC OS X. You will have to stick with USB 2.0 speeds.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
You might be able to get USB 3 working in Ubuntu Linux, if you are willing to install and use it.

----------

why would he buy a USB2.0 card? he has a Quad G5, already has usb 2.0..

Well there's a few reasons to install a USB 2 card when you already have USB 2 ports.

1. You'd install it if you need more ports. USB hubs aren't the greatest solution, because you squeeze all the data through one port. Having a USB 2 card would allow full speed access for every device.
2. USB 2 cards are cheap, and not much more then a USB hub, but so much better.

----------

Oh.. this thread is from 2011... :eek: :p

FireWire2

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
USB 3.1 host maybe the answer

If your MAC system support 10.9.x or at least support xHCI protocol then

this USB3.1 card can solve your problem
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XAT4IH4

It uses native xHCI drivers, no drivers or additional software to install. It works in my MAC Pro 2008. Although i can not get it over 450MB/s

I think because my 2008 MAC's PCI E is 2.5Gb per lane

Last edited:

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Have you tried this card?
Startech.com PCIUSB3S4
pciusb3s4.main.jpg

4 Port PCI SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Adapter Card with SATA / SP4 Power

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Have you tried this card?
Startech.com PCIUSB3S4
4 Port PCI SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Adapter Card with SATA / SP4 Power

Who are you replying to? I doubt that OP cares after 8 years, if he is still around. As for this card, the spec sheet
sounds discouraging:

OS compatibility.
Windows® XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
Windows Server® 2003, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016

No drivers mentioned for OSX, let alone PPC. Not all xHCI cards play nicely with MacPros.

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Don't look at the OS Compatibility..it has the Renesas/NEC - μPD720202 chipset !

What i'm actually looking for is full speed 480mbps on all 5 ports simultaneously and this one along with the Belkin USB 2.0 5-Port PCI Card F5U220 looks like it just might.
41Z3M3rvXdL._SX466_.jpg

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
What i'm actually looking for is full speed 480mbps on all 5 ports simultaneously...

I've never seen anything that could saturate the theoretical maximum throughput of a USB 2.0 bus, although I've noticed USB 3.0 devices typically greatly exceed speeds of USB 2.0 devices when run on the same USB 2.0 bus. That might be the best you can do.

It would be a remarkable achievement if you could reach 480 mbps. I doubt it's actually possible, but good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.