Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerty101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I noticed when I use the command+tab to bring up the application switcher, all of the application icons look burnt out. For instance, the falcon or hawk on the mail app icon looks as dark as a street crow. And the red handle on my transmission app is practically black. The display color settings on my MBP are default. Anybody else experiencing the same thing?

I am running Lion

Last edited:

code-vapor

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Same here

I don't have any advice, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

There's no problem with the icons on the doc, only in the app switcher. This leads me to believe that it's not an issue with my display. I've also tried it on multiple external displays for reference.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I ran into the same problem twice using my MBP7,1 with an external Cinema Display. Some Dashboard widgets were affected too. A restart seems to fix it though.

This never happened before the 10.7.2 update.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
This happened to me the other day. A restart seems to fix it. Another one of Lion's "mysteries" :rolleyes:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Just happened again, after I closed my MBP and connected it to the Cinema Display. Quite annoying really...
Here's a screenshot of what it looks like (that's Google Chrome):

shot.png

klutzak

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
RTP, NC
Just happened again, after I closed my MBP and connected it to the Cinema Display. Quite annoying really...
Here's a screenshot of what it looks like (that's Google Chrome):

I'm getting this now, too. Has anyone gotten this using just the display on a laptop, or is it only when using an external monitor? That might help pinpoint the issue as having to do with the miniDP port driver or something similar...

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Here's a screenshot of what it looks like...
Looks bad to me too.
So your monitor isn't displaying the wrong colors, it's being sent the wrong colors to display.
Try tweaking its Color Profile in the 'Displays' preferences pane.

dretan

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone with the issue determined the cause or found a solution outside of waiting for 10.7.3.

I couldn't find this post through here until I searched for Nvidia driver issues on 10.7.2. My post, accounting my issue, is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1288081/

Thanks.

dretan

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
UPDATE: It happens when going from my MBP being plugged into a Dell Display, to being plugged into an Apple Cinema Display display. When something (the app switcher, menu bar, etc.) has a distortion issue, changing the Color Profile fixes it, but when I return to the same Color Profile, the issue remains. A logout/restart always fixes it. Clearly, there's some bug with the Nvidia drivers and changing/assigning the correct Color Profile, but I'm not sure how to fix this issue...? It's quite annoying :/

scotartt

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2006
auchenflower, AU
Yep, I suddenly started getting this issue yesterday, never noticed it before (and I use the app switcher all the time).

10.7.2, 15-inch mid-2009 MacBook Pro 2.66GHz, with 8GB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB

Oh I don't know what I just did (opened up system info?), but it went back to normal, just then.

Edit: While I run CHECK FOR UPDATES it's ok. When Software Update finishes, it reverts once I Quit. Just verified this action again - when Software update is running, app switcher looks OK. When it is not, it looks dark and distorted. WTF?!

Last edited:

xtremesniper

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
I just tried to view my system info and it didn't fix.

My current only known workaround is to log off and log back on, or simply reboot altogether.

The problem is that it never used to happen with my work monitor, but ever since I got my home monitor, now both of them do the same thing.

goatie999

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
+1 to the list of people that have this problem. Can't say exactly when I started to see this problem but know that I didn't see the issue before I upgraded to Lion over the Christmas break.

Tried the logout / reboot methods to get rid of the problem but this has not worked for me so far; I still see the incorrect colours when using the application switcher and the Dash Board.

Macbook Pro 15-inch Mid 2010
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Attachments

• exampleIssue.jpg
    exampleIssue.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

xtremesniper

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
Definitely getting ridiculous to have to log off and log back in just to get things to look proper.

Sometimes it gets so bad that it affects everything. The menu bar, the app switcher, all my open program windows, even my VM running in VMWare Fusion. Sometimes Mail gets such heavy graphical artifacts that I simply cannot see the entire toolbar.

What a shame. They aren't even going to fix it unless people report it, and only a handful of people even know what terminology to use when diagnosing it so I can't expect them to ever fix this.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I posted in a different thread, but this one is more related.

I'm on 10.7.2, on a 17" MBP 6,1.

This problem has been coming up all day for me. Not sure what changed.

The finder badge/icon is too dark.
k0jclh.png

All of my widgets are extremely dark.
59ygqw.png

It seems like it's a contrast problem, but it's not. I'm using the default Color LCD Profile, and using the internal screen. No weird settings. Nothing showing up in disk utility either.

To add on, I have not been using an external display at all during the times this occurs either.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Short of logging out and back in again (or restarting), I am able to partly solve this problem by selecting another display profile and then switching back to the original one. This usually makes my Dashboard widgets and the app switcher look normal again. Of course, the Mission Control icons still look messed up.

hc.jpg

Interestingly enough, they look fine during the transition, but switch to their messed up version once the final animation frame is reached (this is easily visible if you slow down the animation by holding down the Shift key).

hcnoraml.jpg

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Has anyone encountered this issue in 10.7.3 yet? Or is there hope that it might be fixed?

EDIT: ~12 days of uptime and no reoccurrence of the problem, so I guess it's fixed, yay! :)

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I never had this problem, but as a ADC member I installed 10.7.4 on my Mac Pro and now am experiencing it for the first time ever. I have a 12-Core Mac Pro with 2 24" Apple LED LCD's. No issues running under 10.6.8. Filed the bug report, it's a known issue. As I have an ATI Radeon 5770 and many are experiencing this across multiple configurations, can't claim to know what may be the cause.

Update, should also state this only occurs when opening Finder in "Time Machine." The animations are askew in the same vein as the images in this thread.

cpandar

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
Just wanted to say, I was having the same issue with a MBP 15" on a clean install of Lion. The issue seems to be related to the Display profile, as another poster noted. On connecting, the system tries to use my default (laptop LCD) display profile with the external monitor (Dell 30"), and I get video corruption/artifacts. When I switch to the profile calibrated for the external monitor, the artifacts go away.

Unclear why it doesn't use this profile by default, but anyway, that's a solution.

xtremesniper

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
Actually, for me it's the calibrated display profile that experienced the problem, while the default device profile worked perfectly fine.

My take on this is that it doesn't matter what the profile is, what matters is which profile was active when the "problem" started.

adityanag

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Bump: I'm having hte same issue

Running Lion 10.7.4 on a Mid-2009 MBP 13". I usually plug the laptop into a external monitor, and I've been noticing this corruption happen for the past few weeks.

Restarting fixes it.

See screenshot for an example.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-15 at 9.29.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-15 at 9.29.58 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 117
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.