PDA

View Full Version : iPod Creator Tony Fadell's Next Quest Is to Revolutionize Thermostats

MacRumors
Oct 25, 2011, 12:35 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/25/ipod-creator-tony-fadells-next-quest-is-to-revolutionize-thermostats/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/coolingnest.jpg

Jeff Robbin and Tony Fadell were the co-leads behind the development of the original iPod. Now, 10 years past (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/23/ipod-turns-10-years-old-today/) the iPod's introduction, Jeff Robbin is reportedly in charge of Apple's effort to remake the television (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/24/itunes-creator-jeff-robbin-heading-apple-television-effort/). But what of Tony Fadell? He promised Steve Jobs that he wouldn't make anything that would compete with Apple products and instead started a new company, Nest Labs (http://www.nest.com/), to remake the thermostat.

From TechCrunch's post introducing Nest's Learning Thermostat (http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/24/ipod-godfather-tony-fadell-finally-reveals-his-new-product-a-thermostat-no-really/):
Fadell got the idea designing his green home in Tahoe. He was shocked there wasn't a single attractive thermostat on the market so he decided to build his own. The size of the market and the potential impact on the planet convinced him it was a great business. And if he didn't do it, who would? The unit uses the guts of a smart phone and required someone who knows how to build drop-dead-easy user experiences.<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?height=315&embedCode=5lYjV4MjojXx6nbMOXNmLAkgX5q4KcwF&deepLinkEmbedCode=5lYjV4MjojXx6nbMOXNmLAkgX5q4KcwF&width=560&video_pcode=11amo6qGw2oucN78pR-BYbDpCESk"></script>
The Nest Learning Thermostat is connected to Wi-Fi and can be remotely controlled by a iPhone app or a laptop. The thermostat will retail for $249 when it goes on sale in mid-November.

Article Link: iPod Creator Tony Fadell's Next Quest Is to Revolutionize Thermostats (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/25/ipod-creator-tony-fadells-next-quest-is-to-revolutionize-thermostats/)

dukebound85
Oct 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
yea, ok have at it

GiantSteve
Oct 25, 2011, 12:40 PM
The problem I see is that it will learn from people in the house adjusting the thermostat, which at least in my house will NOT be the optimal settings for energy savings. With an "old fashioned" adjustable thermostat I set it up for energy savings and it stays that way. Even if my kids turn up the heat, it is only for the current time segment. The Nest will learn that it should be warmer during that time slot and adjust its settings, thereby eroding the energy savings. That being said, Honeywell could learn a lot about the thermostat interface from the folks at Nest.

alphaod
Oct 25, 2011, 12:43 PM
I like the nice design and interface, but I'm fine with my current themostat. My current one has been working for 8 years now, has a like 5 programs per day, backlight, AA battery to store settings in case power failure. And it matches my decor.

This "Learning Thermostat" won't fit my house unless I decide to replace all my furniture and detailing with IKEA stuff.

TeamMojo
Oct 25, 2011, 12:47 PM
The problem I see is that it will learn from people in the house adjusting the thermostat, which at least in my house will NOT be the optimal settings for energy savings. With an "old fashioned" adjustable thermostat I set it up for energy savings and it stays that way. Even if my kids turn up the heat, it is only for the current time segment. The Nest will learn that it should be warmer during that time slot and adjust its settings, thereby eroding the energy savings. That being said, Honeywell could learn a lot about the thermostat interface from the folks at Nest.

Right, but it also learns via presence when you are not there, and turns the heat down. So the point is to make it comfortable when you want it, and then to save energy when you are not there. All automatically.

Truffy
Oct 25, 2011, 12:49 PM
So, they can't all be gems.

deannnnn
Oct 25, 2011, 12:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it looks cool but I don't need my thermostat to learn.

chown33
Oct 25, 2011, 12:52 PM
This "Learning Thermostat" won't fit my house unless I decide to replace all my furniture and detailing with IKEA stuff.

Maybe there's an aftermarket for themes and skins. I might go for a classic brass and teak "Nautical" theme, but others might want "Steam Punk", "My Little Pony™", or just "Beige".

And for the learning part to be turned off, that would be the "Dropout" theme.

isoMorpheus
Oct 25, 2011, 12:55 PM
Did any see the 1984 poster in his lab?

MR-Law
Oct 25, 2011, 12:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

The interviewer is so aggrivating. She does the "mmm, hmm" about 500 times. It was so distracting and all I did was focus on it.

mklaman
Oct 25, 2011, 12:57 PM
i'm all for this because i'm all for saving energy, reducing waste, and other green living alternatives we can do each and every day...

but boy do i love living in america, where all these energy hungry fools don't give a crap about reducing their impacts. :rolleyes:

CBJammin103
Oct 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
The Nest Learning Thermostat is connected to Wi-Fi and can be remotely controlled by a iPhone app or a laptop.

Come on people think a little bigger - how about home-devices combined with the [presently hypothetical] Siri third party API?

"Siri, it's a little warm in here"
"Siri, set the living room to 70 degrees whenever I'm home."
"Siri, when I leave for work set the house to 78 degrees for 6 hours."

UltimaKilo
Oct 25, 2011, 01:07 PM
The woman in the video is so damn annoying! "mhmm...mhmm...mhmm"

HiRez
Oct 25, 2011, 01:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

The interviewer is so aggrivating. She does the "mmm, hmm" about 500 times. It was so distracting and all I did was focus on it.

That's Sarah Lacy, she ALWAYS does that.

Anyway, the thermostat looks interesting, I've often thought to myself the same thing, that current thermostats always suck and could be designed a lot better. That said, his pitch was a little weird...incident light reflecting...hmm, yeah. Well, if I ever have enough money for a big house, I'll buy one!

Next big thing for Apple should be a standard automotive interface. Could even be literally an iPad behind the dashboard (which would therefore be easily upgradeable), with a few peripheral electronics. Think about it, they have the software tech, the touch screens, music, video, GPS and mapping, text messaging, phone calls, wireless setup, upgrading and media and contact syncing, hands-free operation (Siri), pretty much everything they need.

rdlink
Oct 25, 2011, 01:08 PM
If you watch the promo videos, and the installation support videos on the nest website you'll see that this a pretty amazing product. In fact, I've been waiting for something like this for years. I'll be ordering one as soon as it's available.

ramuman
Oct 25, 2011, 01:16 PM
That's Sarah Lacy, she ALWAYS does that.

Anyway, the thermostat looks interesting, I've often thought to myself the same thing, that current thermostats always suck and could be designed a lot better. That said, his pitch was a little weird...incident light reflecting...hmm, yeah. Well, if I ever have enough money for a big house, I'll buy one!

Next big thing for Apple should be a standard automotive interface. Could even be literally an iPad behind the dashboard (which would therefore be easily upgradeable), with a few peripheral electronics. Think about it, they have the software tech, the touch screens, music, video, GPS and mapping, text messaging, phone calls, wireless setup, upgrading and media and contact syncing, hands-free operation (Siri), pretty much everything they need.

...except for a willing car company. No car company would allow a 1024x768 display with GPS/iPhone/handsfree and one that's upgradable when they can charge $3000 for an inferior version as part of a "technology" package.

reden
Oct 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
This guy just gets no love! Remember when the iPod came out? No one thought it would be successful. You could literally replace the words in some of the above comments with iPod, and we're back in 2001. This guy's going to make a ton a money on this, definitely one of those markets people thought didn't need change.

rtdunham
Oct 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

1--his delivery reminds me more of s jobs than anyone else I've heard (ok, it reflects the wAll color…)
2--if you keep striving for the lead, won't you adjust to 72, and next time it'll take 73 to get the leaf, then 74 and 75 and so on? What ends the escalation? Are you like a frog that never jumps from the warming pot til he's boiled?
3--can you monitor the thermostat fro
Your phone? Program it? Seems a waste of smart phone technology if you can't.

Mark Booth
Oct 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
To really appreciate the Nest thermostat's cool and clever design, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=6InjhtZ6NP8

We'll be getting one for sure!

Mark

Nothlit
Oct 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
I can see how this would be worthwhile for anyone who still has an old mechanical (non-programmable) thermostat. It will easily pay for itself in energy savings.

But for everyone who already moved to programmable thermostats over the last 10-15 years, it's not such a great deal (especially at $250) as you've already reduced energy consumption and Nest is probably not going to reduce it much further, unless you've just done a poor job of programming your existing one.

nutmac
Oct 25, 2011, 01:27 PM
Color me intrigued. Home automation still has a long way to go, and Nest appears to be both designed well and priced reasonably (average thermostats range between $150 and $250).

I am a bit perplexed by auto away feature though. It seems you need to purchase multiple Nest thermostats at $250 a piece to cover multiple "active" areas (instead of inexpensive remote sensor add-on units).

kasei
Oct 25, 2011, 01:34 PM
The question I would like answered is does it have a pet mode? I would hate to come home one winter evening and the thermostat is set to 60 and the cat and dog are both sick. I know it has a motion detector. Is it sensitive enough to pick up the 4-legged habitants of the house? I am sure the temp can just be adjusted from the iPhone app, but if this can done automatically sign me up. Any way I can save money and automate a part of my house I am all for it.

nagromme
Oct 25, 2011, 01:37 PM
I’ve long wished to see Apple’s simplicity and ease-of-use extended to other markets/devices in my life. Every now and then, I get my wish! And this one could also help the planet.

(More often, companies fumble towards for Apple “style,” as if the superficial is what makes Apple great. They forget that design is how a thing works, to paraphrase Jobs, and they end up with something a little simpler-looking than the rest, but not that efficient to use.)

Virtualball
Oct 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
I love the intense amount of "mhm" that the woman says hahahahah

Rolvag
Oct 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
Very cool, I ordered 3 for my home, They "talk" to each other!

I watched the video and I agree he TRY'S to have the same delivery of Jobs, He's just not as cool or polished at it.

I'll let you know how they work when I get them. Pre-orderd on Best-buy.

forty2j
Oct 25, 2011, 01:50 PM
Come on people think a little bigger - how about home-devices combined with the [presently hypothetical] Siri third party API?

"Siri, it's a little warm in here"
"Siri, set the living room to 70 degrees whenever I'm home."
"Siri, when I leave for work set the house to 78 degrees for 6 hours."

Give it 6 months or so. Siri's API needs to be opened, and I'm sure that's in progress.

Wrathwitch
Oct 25, 2011, 01:59 PM
I think it's sexy as hell.

I really hope it comes to Canada soon (including option for Celcius).

Good on him for continuing to innovate.

I really HATE my programmable thermostat, requires a bloody science degree to work it. I just turn it up and down as I come home and leave now.....

WW

longofest
Oct 25, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'll stick to my Carrier thermostat that came with my hybrid heat system. Pretty easy and intuitive to me.

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
"mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm"

Shrink
Oct 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
What if I want the heat to come on 1/2 hour BEFORE I get up so I get up to a warm bedroom.

Do I have to get up 1/2 hour before my usual time for a week to train it to come on before I get up. I have a programmable thermostat that I just set to 1/2 hour before I get up. As far as programming a thermostat - if I can do it - ANYONE can do it.:D

Granted, It looks cool. But I'm not sure that it is a major improvement over available programmable thermostats.

EnergonCube
Oct 25, 2011, 02:21 PM
Wicked cool and definitely getting one. Does anybody else get the sense this guy is acting very much like Steve Jobs demoing a new product or is just me?

portishead
Oct 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
I preordered one. It's at Best Buy so I can always try it out first. Looks cool, and I've always wanted to be able to control a thermostat from my iPhone. Next will be light/wall socket controls I hope.

Darth.Titan
Oct 25, 2011, 02:32 PM
The question I would like answered is does it have a pet mode? I would hate to come home one winter evening and the thermostat is set to 60 and the cat and dog are both sick. I know it has a motion detector. Is it sensitive enough to pick up the 4-legged habitants of the house? I am sure the temp can just be adjusted from the iPhone app, but if this can done automatically sign me up. Any way I can save money and automate a part of my house I am all for it.

Do you really believe your furry pets can't handle a temperature of 60 degrees?
They wouldn't bat an eye I assure you.

HiRez
Oct 25, 2011, 02:45 PM
...except for a willing car company. No car company would allow a 1024x768 display with GPS/iPhone/handsfree and one that's upgradable when they can charge $3000 for an inferior version as part of a "technology" package.

Except fewer and fewer people are paying those insane prices for them anymore, as cheaper and better alternatives become available (standalone GPS units, iPods, iPhones, etc.). Plus, Apple already has iPod integration with many car manufacturers, this would just be an expansion of that, and they could split the profits with the car dealers and/or companies. Consumers get a better, probably cheaper product, car companies get happy customers more willing to add it to their bill than a non-upgradeable, proprietary piece of junk, and still make money in the process without spending much R&D or support resources (they just provide Apple with access to the car's low level interfaces, Apple writes and upgrades the software, and Apple does the support).

G4-power
Oct 25, 2011, 02:47 PM
Pretty cool. Seems like a clever product. I want one (or more) of those. First I need to get my own house, though.

kasei
Oct 25, 2011, 03:22 PM

Yeah, I would normally say that, but I have a siamese cat and they don't do well in low temps. Discovered that the hard way this summer with the AC.

After looking through the support page and based on what they've said about the programming I am sure median tempt can be set and the system can learn from there.

3N16MA
Oct 25, 2011, 03:28 PM
I think some are missing the point. As was explained in the video only around 10% of programmable thermostats are actually programmed. Most likely due to many not truly understanding how to program them properly because of traditional interfaces. The benefit of a programmable thermostat is not truly being experienced by many.

The Nest Learning Thermostat was made to make the process easier and simpler. Nice easy to understand UI that learns your habits. Traditional thermostats do not account for alterations in your schedule but this one does. It learns what you do and adjusts accordingly. Also the connectivity features are a nice addition.

It's not as flashy as an iPod but it's still innovative.

lolnick
Oct 25, 2011, 03:38 PM
Why havent people figured out you dont need to say "Siri,_______"

rva1
Oct 25, 2011, 03:41 PM
mmm, hmm...
mmm, hmm...
mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm......................

davidwarren
Oct 25, 2011, 03:43 PM

But it's more fun to say it that way.

Aeolius
Oct 25, 2011, 03:43 PM
I cannot help but wonder if we are looking at the future; WiFi connected home automation devices replacing the likes of INSTEON, X-10, Z-Wave and the like.

I was already looking forward to Apple opening Siri's API, so that Perceptive Automation could get ahold of it. Then their Indigo application, communicating with INSTEON devices, could turn on lights, open doors, adjust HVAC, detect motion, and more... all using voice activation.

rva1
Oct 25, 2011, 03:46 PM

Q: Seriously? Can you learn how NOT to say, "mmm, hmm" every 5 friggin' second!?!

A: mmm, hmm

----------

But it's more fun to say it that way.

I am so glad the interviewer wasn't on the software team for Siri...

User: "Siri, remind me to wake up at 6:30am on Wednesday"

Siri: "mmm, hmm":eek:

----------

I preordered one. It's at Best Buy so I can always try it out first. Looks cool, and I've always wanted to be able to control a thermostat from my iPhone. Next will be light/wall socket controls I hope.

mmm, hmm

Drumjim85
Oct 25, 2011, 03:49 PM

My furry pet would hibernate and die if it got below 70.

macnisse
Oct 25, 2011, 03:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Looks nice!

Aeolius
Oct 25, 2011, 03:53 PM
Next will be light/wall socket controls I hope.

Indigo Touch (iOS app) (http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/indigo/touch.html) + Indigo (OS X application) (http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/indigo/index.html) + INSTEON (http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_/23b/land.aspx) Light Switch (http://www.smarthome.com/2876SB/ICON-Relay-INSTEON-Remote-Control-On-Off-Switch-Non-Dimming-White/p.aspx)

HarryKeogh
Oct 25, 2011, 03:59 PM
I think it's sexy as hell.

A sexy thermostat? Oh for eff's sake.

Mad-B-One
Oct 25, 2011, 04:08 PM
My thermostat is in the hallway - so as long as I don't go to my son's room, it will think I'm not at home... for 250 bucks, I expect sensors for other rooms and outside (since it ca do WiFi) so it actually knows if I am really gone or not. But I guess that is more like future talk.

If he really would have wanted to integrate intelligently, he would have had remote air duct shutters and single room sensors. THAT would have been revolutionary. Other thermostats give me the temperature/mode by hour already for less than that. Doesn't look as good, but hey, that is a lot of money he wants.

room237
Oct 25, 2011, 04:08 PM
How many songs does it hold?

:D :apple:

Kissaragi
Oct 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
Id take any thermostat that bloody works at the moment! This does look cool tho

Maccleduff
Oct 25, 2011, 04:32 PM
Ok, this guy seems switched on, and I see where he's coming from on all the points he makes.

But there is a single reason why it looks bad imo. The logo 'nest' is front and centre on the device.

If I were to design any product I would keep the frontfree of ANY logos, cos I just really hate them. Especially words. (Apple logo looks nice because it is a graphical logo.)

sjjordan
Oct 25, 2011, 04:44 PM
It's looks great and the interface is clean, but it has major technical flaws:

1. It has "activity sensors" that will decrease the temp after 2 hours of inactivity. What if I"m watching a movie in the other room? Be the end of the movie it'll be cold in the house thanks to Nest. And I think most people's thermostats are not in a location that faces their living room.

2. It has no ability to predict your leaving/returning home. With my programmable, I know that I leave at 7 and arrive home at 6. I can adjust the thermostat to anticipate this event. The Nest won't. It'll START adjusting when you arrive home.

What it needs to do, is sync wirelessly with a toggle you keep on your car keychain. When the toggle is gone, you are gone. That way, it learns when you leave, not when it "thinks" you are gone.

theBB
Oct 25, 2011, 05:38 PM
2. It has no ability to predict your leaving/returning home. With my programmable, I know that I leave at 7 and arrive home at 6. I can adjust the thermostat to anticipate this event. The Nest won't. It'll START adjusting when you arrive home.

It seems you can program it through its web interface. That way you don't have have to getup half an hour before you normally do or arrive earlier than usual for a couple of days to get it going. I would not proclaim "major technical flaws" before getting more info about it.

kasei
Oct 25, 2011, 05:50 PM

1. It has "activity sensors" that will decrease the temp after 2 hours of inactivity. What if I"m watching a movie in the other room? Be the end of the movie it'll be cold in the house thanks to Nest. And I think most people's thermostats are not in a location that faces their living room.

I think a couple of bathroom or popcorn breaks during the movie will take care of this "flaw". Besides if the temp drops you can grab your iPhone or iPad and turn up the heat without getting office the couch.

Slurpy2k8
Oct 25, 2011, 06:23 PM
Ok, this guy seems switched on, and I see where he's coming from on all the points he makes.

But there is a single reason why it looks bad imo. The logo 'nest' is front and centre on the device.

If I were to design any product I would keep the frontfree of ANY logos, cos I just really hate them. Especially words. (Apple logo looks nice because it is a graphical logo.)

I absolutely agree. Seems superficial, but definitely cheapens the product.

Yvan256
Oct 25, 2011, 07:16 PM

Because it feels more Star-Treky. "Computer, do something" = "Siri, do something".

Scotty would be proud.

Prodo123
Oct 25, 2011, 08:31 PM
It's an Arc Reactor, except it reads the temperature

CalZephyr
Oct 25, 2011, 08:34 PM
According to the youtube link posted above to the Nest Setup Video, you can create, edit and delete set points. However, it will use these as a base and continue making changes over time.

The downside to this is wondering if it will become obsolete (by release of newer models) as quickly as iPods/iPhones do.

fireball370
Oct 25, 2011, 08:48 PM
our local news station picked up this story...

Next for iPod Designers: World's Coolest Thermostat
Heat up your house, with Silicon Valley design.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Next-for-iPod-Designers-Worlds-Coolest-Thermostat--132560513.html

rcappo
Oct 25, 2011, 09:34 PM
My thermostat is at 50 degrees. I'm not sure if I would want it any colder. I don't use AC in the summer, so I'm not sure I need a cool looking one with lots of features.

NorCalLights
Oct 25, 2011, 10:09 PM

Check out the video. Watch the whole thing (and ignore the crazy lady saying "mmmmhmmmm") and then read the website.

1. The activity sensors work using both near-field (motion) detectors and far-field (sound and vibration) detectors. Watching a movie in the other room isn't a problem.

2. The thermostat will learn from the time you set it, but when it projects forward it starts your heater (or AC) a bit earlier. In your example (arrive home at 6), it would learn from you turning up the heat at 6:00, but it would start the heater on its own at 5:45 (or something).

kiljoy616
Oct 25, 2011, 10:11 PM
Lets hope this is as good as it looks, most of them suck so bad when it comes to programing. And the manuals are so bad at temperature control. So having something that looks this good in my house would be a welcome if it does what they are talking about.

kiljoy616
Oct 25, 2011, 10:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it looks cool but I don't need my thermostat to learn.

Or an iphone to help you.

Or an ipad to make it easier to read anywhere.

Or a computer that does not crash.

Or a car that tries to make adjustment to your need.

You don't need anything but two sticks and your hands right. :rolleyes:

carlgo
Oct 25, 2011, 10:25 PM
One of my thermostats is actually mechanical, good old analogue. I love analogue. You move a lever...Analogue will take over some day, the high-end choice.

Might look into this when the old one goes, which is any time now, after nearly 30 years of faithful service using tilting vials of mercury (?) and a bi-metal spring, levers, gears, pegs and a trip mechanism. Way nicer than the digital ones for sale now and far easier to use.

The iTherm is cool though, the only digital one I might actually like.

kjs862
Oct 25, 2011, 10:56 PM
very cool, but don't think this guy is the best salesman

Garissimo
Oct 25, 2011, 11:01 PM
Nice but a little overwrought.

I'd buy one with that same UI, WiFi control and basic programmability. Don't need the learning mode or the leaf to tell me I'm saving energy. Just give me a pure manual mode and one or two time/temp based programs.

macbook pro i5
Oct 26, 2011, 12:14 AM
....oh yeah:D

Prodo123
Oct 26, 2011, 12:20 AM
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/9273042.jpg

Macgadget
Oct 26, 2011, 12:37 AM
Must...have..this....credit card tingling....who do i give my money to?

fhall1
Oct 26, 2011, 06:09 AM
Color me intrigued. Home automation still has a long way to go, and Nest appears to be both designed well and priced reasonably (average thermostats range between $150 and $250).

I am a bit perplexed by auto away feature though. It seems you need to purchase multiple Nest thermostats at $250 a piece to cover multiple "active" areas (instead of inexpensive remote sensor add-on units).

Not sure what you're buying for $150 to $250, I bought programmable Honeywell's for two zones in my house two winters ago for $50 each.

I'm not saying these aren't cool though....I admit to not watching the videos yet, but did they talk about a "failsafe" mode? What happens when Wi-Fi goes out in the house for whatever reason?

Gasu E.
Oct 26, 2011, 09:12 AM
<comment removed by author>

mijail
Oct 26, 2011, 09:18 AM
Not sure what you're buying for $150 to $250, I bought programmable Honeywell's for two zones in my house two winters ago for $50 each.

I'm not saying these aren't cool though....I admit to not watching the videos yet, but did they talk about a "failsafe" mode? What happens when Wi-Fi goes out in the house for whatever reason?

It surely blows up and burns your home to the ground, because no one thought about that.

If you didn't even watch the video, of course you can't "be sure" about what you're buying.

Gosh.

VenusianSky
Oct 26, 2011, 09:48 AM
Sure... you install these learning thermostats in your home and the next thing you'll have is this guy doing your dishes and washing laundry

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090525095811/terminator/images/8/85/Trjs67656.jpg

kingtj
Oct 26, 2011, 10:03 AM
I've had a programmable thermostat for years, and to this day, I *hate* the thing. It beats the non-programmable one my house came with, but that's about all I can say for it.

Not only was it a pain to program sensibly to start with (talk about a NON user-friendly key layout, display and overall setup), but the preset schedule never seems that practical as the family's situation changes.

For example, my wife and I were both working full-time and the kids were at school during the day, so we programmed the thermostat not to turn on the heat (or A/C) much at all until at least 3PM, so it would be comfortable by the time we got home. Then my wife lost her job and was home during the day, so immediately started bypassing that program.

Then, I realized the old schedule that didn't heat the house as much during the middle of the night started becoming a problem too, because sometimes she'd be up late working on things (not having to get up so early in the morning to leave for work).

And weekends have always been an issue with this thing, too. Even though it does let you set up a separate "weekend schedule" that runs every Saturday and Sunday, what's the optimal setting there? We're likely to be out a lot more on a weekend, but you don't want the thermostat to assume that's the case when just as often, we might be doing things around the house on our days off.

I agree that this $250 price gave me a bit of sticker shock, as even the nicest conventional programmable thermostats I could ever buy at a local home improvement place cost more like $99. But this thing is internet connected AND generates reports so you can actually see if you're getting a cost savings, and what is most affecting it.

I definitely want one, but will be curious to see if they're available at a discounted price after the pre-order period is over.

I can see how this would be worthwhile for anyone who still has an old mechanical (non-programmable) thermostat. It will easily pay for itself in energy savings.

But for everyone who already moved to programmable thermostats over the last 10-15 years, it's not such a great deal (especially at $250) as you've already reduced energy consumption and Nest is probably not going to reduce it much further, unless you've just done a poor job of programming your existing one.

hexx
Oct 26, 2011, 10:34 AM
few ideas to make this better:

1. once you set your temps and proximity sensor 'senses' you're nearby, it should glow in colour not with temp nr, green for comfy, blue for cold, orange for warm with temp in small below it.

2. they should supply also simplified 'slave' units which kids can't touch/control, more of a 'listener/watcher'

3. could have several modes - single, master, slave
- single if only one unit is used
- master if this unit is used with another units or 'simplified' 'listener/watcher' units
- slave if more of the same units are used

4. once Siri APIs are open this would be really cool

5. next iteration to work with other 'home automation' controls (lights, gates, AV system, you name it) could be solved by installing a plug-in which would solve support of a device

6. once all steps above are completed rename it to HAL9000 ;)

RobNYC
Oct 26, 2011, 02:07 PM
What if I want the heat to come on 1/2 hour BEFORE I get up so I get up to a warm bedroom.

Do I have to get up 1/2 hour before my usual time for a week to train it to come on before I get up. I have a programmable thermostat that I just set to 1/2 hour before I get up. As far as programming a thermostat - if I can do it - ANYONE can do it.:D

Granted, It looks cool. But I'm not sure that it is a major improvement over available programmable thermostats.

It also learns how long it takes a room or zone to get up to a set temperature (or down if it's A/C) so it would automatically start raising thm temp before the time you normally set it. You can also manually go into it's learned program and make adjustments yourself if you don't want it changing the temp at certain times.

----------

What it needs to do, is sync wirelessly with a toggle you keep on your car keychain. When the toggle is gone, you are gone. That way, it learns when you leave, not when it "thinks" you are gone.

It does. It learns how long it takes your room or zone to heat up to whatever temp you normally set it and makes raises the temp accordingly to make sure it's up to whatever temp you want at whatever time you normally set it.

Iamthinking
Oct 26, 2011, 02:22 PM
----------
Quote:

That's what I was thinking...give the poor girl a break. Perhaps she did a lot of porn in her previous gigs in front of the camera and it just became a "habit". :)

-Iamthinking

Kid A
Oct 26, 2011, 10:47 PM
Doubles as a jog wheel for FCPX! ;)

meagain
Oct 27, 2011, 07:12 PM

It seems to have a programmable scheduler but I'm not hearing about it much in interviews. It shows it on one of their youtubes.

I want one so bad. :)

emieczko
Oct 28, 2011, 02:59 PM
I've gotta admit I'm intrigued, so I've been reading up on this thing. I haven't made up my mind yet, but it looks like they've sold out their pre-order allotment. Bestbuy shows it out of stock and Nest's homepage has switched from "pre-order" to "reserve."

One of my big questions is how my 155 lb dog will affect its ability to determine whether anyone is home, lol

TalkAboutApple
Oct 29, 2011, 08:55 AM
This was on my list of "stuff other people should fix" so I'll wait for the reviews and probably jump on it in a couple weeks. Even if it isn't perfect it should serve notice to another industry that they need to get off their lazy butts.

Next up, hopefully...electronic faucets that serve up the right temperature.

izzle22
Oct 29, 2011, 03:03 PM
Ordered one on Tuesday. I should get it mid-November. I am very anxious to see how well it will work. Everything I've read seems to tell me it's everything I've been looking for.

izzle22
Oct 29, 2011, 09:59 PM
yea, ok have at it
Image (http://www.***********************/6.jpg)

yea, ok i will.

gtstricky
Apr 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
I just ordered mine. Seems that people are happy with the version 2.0 software so I thought I would give it a try.

benspratling
May 28, 2012, 08:09 AM

It drove me nuts. It wouldn't be so bad if the "mmm, hmm" correlated to him having just completed saying something, but it was in the middle of sentences. I only made it about a third of the way through before it was so annoying I had to click stop. I mean, it's like she doesn't understand what he's saying... or care... "-So what color should we make it? -mmm, hmmm. I looked at 18 different finishes and thought– mmm, hmm."

To be fair, if that woman didn't say "mmm-hmm" she wouldn't have any apparent purpose in the video at all.

----------

Because people near me don't shut up when that double-beep occurs.