PDA

View Full Version : Teenager's iPod goes boom


MacBytes
May 12, 2005, 11:55 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Humor
Link: Teenager's iPod goes boom (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050513005512)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by arn

Doctor Q
May 12, 2005, 11:58 PM
Ulp! Are all of our iPods full of poison?

What exactly do water and heat do to an iPod?

puckhead193
May 13, 2005, 12:09 AM
Ulp! Are all of our iPods full of poison?

What exactly do water and heat do to an iPod?

Cause it to not work...... ;)
who leaves their ipods in their pocket, don't u check your pockets before putting it in the hamper....

pilzbury
May 13, 2005, 12:11 AM
Apparently it makes them go poof! - Not sure how taking a iPod apart will help anything. I guess drying stuff out. But I think I would have called apple to see what they recommended first...course this may give them a chuckle.

Maybe since water got inside and if it went through the dryer too. It cause steam and pressure build up and with whatever reaction it had with the battery...it just didn't make the situation pretty. Hope the mate is alright.

swingerofbirch
May 13, 2005, 12:12 AM
I think it was insensitive to mark this story as humor, assuming this article is true, and it appears to be.

I am not sure what in the iPod would explode, but it does contain toxic elements, including lead.

mxlewis
May 13, 2005, 12:14 AM
It helps if you just let it sit for a few days. I dropped mine in a puddle, let it sit and dry, and it was fine.

Bunzi2k4
May 13, 2005, 12:39 AM
I would never let my ipod go through the wash. unfortunantly, I can't say the same about my cell phone... ;_;

cooknwitha
May 13, 2005, 12:56 AM
It makes me proud to be an Australian knowing there are kids that stupid growing up around me.

J-Squire
May 13, 2005, 01:18 AM
I think it was insensitive to mark this story as humor, assuming this article is true, and it appears to be.

I am not sure what in the iPod would explode, but it does contain toxic elements, including lead.

Haha, sorry. I submitted this story and marked it as humour. It seemed like such a weird thing to not find slightly amusing. Especially the response of the medical team who said that they made sure the kid was ok, and then swooped out to continue saving the rest of the city.

Sol
May 13, 2005, 01:19 AM
I think it was insensitive to mark this story as humor, assuming this article is true, and it appears to be.

Get a sense of humour. No-one is dead so why not have a laugh? I am sure the kid is laughing about it too.

It is only a matter of time before C/Net blows this out of proportion and reports it as a fault with all iPods.

solvs
May 13, 2005, 01:30 AM
I've dropped my cell phone in the toilet, but my iPod would never go through the wash. I get pissed when I leave my tissues in my pocket and they get washed, I couldn't imagine this. And then to have it explode.

I wonder if his Mom will buy him a new one. Somehow, I doubt the Rio would do much better.

840quadra
May 13, 2005, 06:27 AM
it is entirely possible that the kid got his screwdriver to pry open the battery, causing a spark that ignited the acid inside the battery.

I am glad he is ok, but I still find this funny!

Lacero
May 13, 2005, 06:30 AM
or Killer iPod?

Peterkro
May 13, 2005, 06:43 AM
I've dropped my cell phone in the toilet, but my iPod would never go through the wash. I get pissed when I leave my tissues in my pocket and they get washed, I couldn't imagine this. And then to have it explode.

I wonder if his Mom will buy him a new one. Somehow, I doubt the Rio would do much better.
I dropped my iPod in the toilet(discrete veil over details)just cleaned(gingerly) and turned on immediately,no problems(drink had been taken).
:)

Lacero
May 13, 2005, 06:47 AM
Great, you can forget about carrying your beloved iPod on trains, planes and subways now. The Federal government will put it on the list of banned products, that include nail clippers, matchbooks and C4 explosives.

atszyman
May 13, 2005, 07:32 AM
or Killer iPod?

By chance to you read Slashdot alot, Lacero?

narco
May 13, 2005, 07:39 AM
I guess the lithium battery plus water makes stuff explode.
Great idea to mark this as humor, just wish the kid got messed up a little more for being such an idiot.

Fishes,
narco.

Lacero
May 13, 2005, 07:40 AM
I guess the lithium battery plus water makes stuff explode.
Great idea to mark this as humor, just wish the kid got messed up a little more for being such an idiot.
http://www3.telus.net/poojja/s/fish.gif He's a good nominee for the Darwin award.

mad jew
May 13, 2005, 07:57 AM
http://www3.telus.net/poojja/s/fish.gif He's a good nominee for the Darwin award.


:D But don't you have to die?

Have to admit, it's kinda embarrassing. It's one of those tales I'd usually just ponderously quip "ahh, only in America..." :o

James Philp
May 13, 2005, 08:07 AM
That fire guy had the same name as me!
Wonder how many Philps there are in the world!
What an idiot, and what a crap mum! What mum doesn't check the pockets before putting summit in the wash!?

I like the toilet story - have done similar things with wallets and phones. Worst thing is, most of the time I was using the toilet in question (eugh)
Drink is a (wonderful) terrible thing!

James Philp
May 13, 2005, 08:11 AM
Here's what apple has to say:
Environmental requirements:
Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F (0 to 35 C)
Non operating temperature: -4 to 113 F (-20 to 45 C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

I'm guessing even a 40 wash would completely kill it. Add in water, soapy suds and being tumbled for 40 minutes and you've got the ideal environment to kill any electronic device! Notice noncondensing - i'm guessing that water was never vapor in the first place!

mad jew
May 13, 2005, 08:16 AM
That fire guy had the same name as me!


And on Friday the 13th!


;)

Mr.Hey
May 13, 2005, 09:11 AM
Ulp! Are all of our iPods full of poison?

What exactly do water and heat do to an iPod?


"It was more smoke than fire but it did leave a burn mark on the cover."

Explosion!!! FIRE!!!! DEATH AND DISTRUCTION!!!!!!!!

It's filled with poison... run for the hills everyone!!!.

Mr.Hey
May 13, 2005, 09:13 AM
I think it was insensitive to mark this story as humor, assuming this article is true, and it appears to be.

I am not sure what in the iPod would explode, but it does contain toxic elements, including lead.


Uh because it blew up in his face? :D

bentley
May 13, 2005, 10:41 AM
I've dropped my cell phone in the toilet, but my iPod would never go through the wash. I get pissed when I leave my tissues in my pocket and they get washed, I couldn't imagine this. And then to have it explode.

I wonder if his Mom will buy him a new one. Somehow, I doubt the Rio would do much better.

my Rio 300 (remember them?) went through the wash and survived. I kid thee not.

fabsgwu
May 13, 2005, 10:57 AM
I killed my ipod with a screw driver recently. I highly recommend NOT trying to change the battery yourself! I ordered the battery from a vendor that shall remain nameless, they said 'special tool and instructions included!' When the box arrived, I found that the 'special tool' was a flat-head screw driver. I should have stopped then. I ended up severing the cable that connects the screen-- I was left with a 15 gig iPod shuffle. I ordered a new iPod (30gig photo) within the hour. :rolleyes:

Panoctopi
May 13, 2005, 11:14 AM
I think it was insensitive to mark this story as humor, assuming this article is true, and it appears to be.

I am not sure what in the iPod would explode, but it does contain toxic elements, including lead.

huh, close your eyes and visualize the situation, kinda funny, no harm no foul... lighten up!

zed
May 13, 2005, 12:42 PM
maybe each iPod is actually a compact explosive and Steve Jobs is just waiting for the right time to make all go BOOM!

Doctor Q
May 13, 2005, 02:02 PM
maybe each iPod is actually a compact explosive and Steve Jobs is just waiting for the right time to make all go BOOM!Just yesterday, somebody pointed out that Apple can't sell music the way Yahoo does because the iPod has no way to expire the music if you drop your subscription. Perhaps this is what happens instead!

wdlove
May 13, 2005, 03:26 PM
It would seem that this young man has learned a valuable lesson the hard way. Don't tinker unless you know what you are doing.

Sun Baked
May 13, 2005, 04:14 PM
The Li-Ion batteries are a problem, on of the dangers of the battery are they don't react to puncture or drop damage well.

Many manufactures try to design around the problem and test, test, test, but if more people get cheap replacement batteries and avoid Apple battery replacement -- we may get more of these episodes.

Look at all the cell phones that flash burn or explode every year.

Don't know about how much damage the polymer versions of the battery Apple uses can take, or if the polymer version is a little less dangerous normally than a cells Li-Ion battery.

bobindashadows
May 14, 2005, 08:01 AM
I think it's worth pointing out that it is sometimes possible to recover an iPod that's been submerged in water through a process that involves opening it up with a screwdriver, and apparently this teenager had heard of it. I know a guy who's fixed a few wet iPods at my school that way, and hasn't broken a single one of them.