Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I used to use my HP2310i DVI monitor on my iMac using a DVI to Mini Display Port Adapter. However I have just sold my iMac, and in the meantime I am using my MBA 11" 2010 model (no TB) until I get a new desktop, I have unplugged the DVI-to Mini Display Port adapter and noticed that the DP plug is too big to fit in the MBA, do you get Micro Display Port adapters so that I can connect my HP Monitor to the MBA ?

I'm a little confused ???:confused:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
That is indeed puzzling, since the MBA has a miniDisplayPort interface.

Do you have any way to attach pictures of the cable and the port on the 2010 11" MBA showing the mismatch?

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I used to use my HP2310i DVI monitor on my iMac using a DVI to Mini Display Port Adapter. However I have just sold my iMac, and in the meantime I am using my MBA 11" 2010 model (no TB) until I get a new desktop, I have unplugged the DVI-to Mini Display Port adapter and noticed that the DP plug is too big to fit in the MBA, do you get Micro Display Port adapters so that I can connect my HP Monitor to the MBA ?

I'm a little confused ???:confused:

Are you sure the iMac had a Minidisplay port and not a Mini DVI port. Mini DVI connectors are bigger and do not fit in the mba. You will need to get a Mini display port to DVI adapter instead.

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Yeah there must be more than one size of mini display port, or apple have changed the plug since the 20" imacs in 2008. I'll try and post a picture today when i get home. Looking on apple.con, i'm not sure which cable has yhe smaller plug as on the mba 11".

----------

Ah, that might be the problem, maybe i assumed the imac connector was mini display port, when it might actually be a mini DVI. Either way i'll go to my local apple store at the weekend and hopefully get the correct cable.

Thanks. For your help.

Are you sure the iMac had a Minidisplay port and not a Mini DVI port. Mini DVI connectors are bigger and do not fit in the mba. You will need to get a Mini display port to DVI adapter instead.

redache

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
If you look here you can see that the iMac has a mini-DVI connector which is different to a MiniDP connector.

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Yeah it would appear that I have thought that Mini-DVI is Mini Display Port which it isnt. Here is a picture of my connector from the old iMac and the macbook air.

IMG_1746.jpg

looks like I'll be visiting the apple store this weekend. Thanks again folks for your help.

Raymond

If you look here you can see that the iMac has a mini-DVI connector which is different to a MiniDP connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.