Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Is it possible to remove the combo drive in my 12" powerbook and buy a aftermarket superdrive to replace it? maybe one with better specs than apple offers? Or would it be much cheaper to buy an external dvd burner?

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
sammyman said:
Is it possible to remove the combo drive in my 12" powerbook and buy a aftermarket superdrive to replace it? maybe one with better specs than apple offers? Or would it be much cheaper to buy an external dvd burner?

I'd be very interested in this, too... I'm about to buy a new Powerbook (my last one - 12" 1.33GHz - was stolen), but I'm hesitating to buy one with Superdrive, since 200 bucks for a Matsushita non-DL DVD+/- Burner seems way too much. For this money, I could get an excellent external DVD Burner (dual layer), and as far as I've heard there are ways to make iLife working with non-superdrive DVD burners...

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Yes you can buy and aftermarket one. I looked into it. Didn't seem worth the price. THey are expensive, and the install is something I didn't want to do myself in case I broke something. I ended up getting the firewire powered Lacie slim drive, and it works great for me. Much cheaper, and I didn't have to worry about taking the PB apart.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I went to OtherWorldComputing and bought one for my 15" Ti PowerBook and installed it. It wasn't difficult, but if you're not comfortable messing around with the internals of your computer, I wouldn't advise it.

The directions they send are fantastic and really walk you through the process. Here is a link to a drive that works in the 12" Powerbook.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I do mind putting in a drive that SUCKS and is LOUD! That is the only thing I am worried about. I have a dell too and the cd drive is LOUD all of the time. It really bugs. Anyway, I found this http://www.provantage.com/buy-7pinr00c-internal-8x-dvd-rw-pioneer-optical-dvr-k14l-shopping.htm on deal mac. Can't tell if it would work, but that is a lot cheaper. Maybe ebay has some genuine parts . . . http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MPBG4SD8XDL/ looks the most reliable. Would iLife work with dual layer drivers and recognize these drives?

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
I don't have the model handy but I know I looked into this for a mini. As I recall you can get a Superdrive for something like $130 (if someone can give you a model, just go hit froogle -- part of google) and you can find the best price. Installation should not be that bad, but if you're completely mechanically incompetent, don't do it. It's much more involved than popping the cover off for memory.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Panasonic Model UJ-835 is what I have found from some research, and I found the directions here. It looks quite challenging, but fun. Now I am just worried about finding the right drivers to make the computer recognize the new drive, and putting all the srews back so there are no rattles.

shorty116

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2004
could anybody tell me about the "face plate". if you buy a dvd burner, can you just switch the silver (i'm on a ibook g3) face plate of the old drive with the new one? or will it fit to just some models?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.