Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pedro Julio

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Sometimes NC, Sometimes PA
So apple tv just told me that it had an update to install. So I went ahead and updated....or so I thought.

After updating I found that the whole thing had completely reset itself. I was logged out of all of my accounts, it had forgotten my network, it had forgotten my computers......everything.

So I sat there for several minutes putting all of that back in only to have the damn thing tell me that there was an update ready again! :mad: What the hell is this. Is this thing just @&$?ing with me, or what?

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
So apple tv just told me that it had an update to install. So I went ahead and updated....or so I thought.

After updating I found that the whole thing had completely reset itself. I was logged out of all of my accounts, it had forgotten my network, it had forgotten my computers......everything.

So I sat there for several minutes putting all of that back in only to have the damn thing tell me that there was an update ready again! :mad: What the hell is this. Is this thing just @&$?ing with me, or what?

We're in the same boat. ATV2 shows me that it can see my wifi network and asks for me to put in my password, and I do, but ATV2 refuses to accept it. Hopefully someone comes in with a solution.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
There is an article that 4.4.1 (going by memory) caused problems and was pulled and replaced by 4.4.2 but required a reset of all settings before it was installed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448

Symptoms
Apple TV devices with software version 4.4 and 4.4.1 have an issue with updating software to later versions.

Products Affected
Apple TV
Resolution
The recommended way to resolve this is by going to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings, prior to updating. If you apply the software update without resetting all settings first, the updater will reset the settings for you. Once the Apple TV has been reset, you can then successfully update to the latest software by going to Settings -> General -> Update Software. * *

Pedro Julio

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Sometimes NC, Sometimes PA
We're in the same boat. ATV2 shows me that it can see my wifi network and asks for me to put in my password, and I do, but ATV2 refuses to accept it. Hopefully someone comes in with a solution.

That isn't at all what I described. You're in that boat alone, I'm afraid.

----------

There is an article that 4.4.1 (going by memory) caused problems and was pulled and replaced by 4.4.2 but required a reset of all settings before it was installed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448

Symptoms
Apple TV devices with software version 4.4 and 4.4.1 have an issue with updating software to later versions.

Products Affected
Apple TV
Resolution
The recommended way to resolve this is by going to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings, prior to updating. If you apply the software update without resetting all settings first, the updater will reset the settings for you. Once the Apple TV has been reset, you can then successfully update to the latest software by going to Settings -> General -> Update Software. * *

Wow. Very strange error. That's got to be it though. Thanks for the information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.