PDA

View Full Version : iBook speculations question


keyz
May 13, 2005, 07:11 AM
I really apologize if this is a becoming a redundant topic in rumor forums, and I haev searched this board like crazy about any info on the iBook but I still don't understand much.

I'm looking to buy an iBook.. I've been wanting to buy one since April, but some people from another message board referred me to this site and told me I just need to be patient and wait becuase updates are coming. Well everything has been updated, aside from the laptops and mac mini, and I have to wonder if the iBook updates are coming. Does anyone have the slightest clue as to when they could release? Or is it really nobody really knows anything and it could very well be now or never? I just am trying to figure out if I should hold out till June to see if the updates coming. I just know that if I buy it now I will see an update and be disappointed. :(

I guess I just need reassurance that waiting is a good thing and I will be pleased with waiting. What kind of updates can we reasonably expect? And when?

I apologize again if these has been hashed to death. I've done a lot of searching and decided I needed to make this post. :)

iGary
May 13, 2005, 07:18 AM
What do you need to use the machine for?

What is waiting going to gain you?

The only thing that has been rumored is a wide screen iBook - is that desirable enough to wait, even with the possibility that it may not happen?

Your guess is as good as any. If you need it now, buy it.

keyz
May 13, 2005, 07:24 AM
I will be using it to run audio apps that run loops. I will be running this onstage (I'm a keyboardist and guitarist) and will be running loops from it. From what I understand the ibook is a good choice for what I'll be doing. I mean, I have no problems waiting another couple weeks if there is the slightest amount of hope, but right now it doesn't seem like there is much hope. There was more hope for an ibook release a month ago. Now I just feel like I'm holding out for nothing.

Basically, I'm just wondering if I should follow this buyer's guide or if it just so happens to be not so accurate because of the time frame between the last release and this supposedly upcoming one. I just don't want to regret buying it when something bigger and better comes out a week later. :confused:

mad jew
May 13, 2005, 07:39 AM
Please don't get angry with me if I'm wrong but I don't reckon we'll see anything major from Apple until WWDC in June (maybe July?) so it'd be a pretty safe bet to get one now. Plus, even when they do actually get updated, the advancements won't be all that great. As it is, a lot of people see the iBook as already treading on the PowerBook's toes.

My advice: get one now. You'll love it. :D

iGary
May 13, 2005, 07:40 AM
Please don't get angry with me if I'm wrong but I don't reckon we'll see anything major from Apple until WWDC in June (maybe July?) so it'd be a pretty safe bet to get one now. Plus, even when they do actually get updated, the advancements won't be all that great. As it is, a lot of people see the iBook as already treading on the PowerBook's toes.

My advice: get one now. You'll love it. :D

I agree. :D

Lacero
May 13, 2005, 07:43 AM
I'll have to disagree.

iBooks are due for an upgrade very soon, so it doesn't make sense to buy now. And there's no guarantee it will be released at WWDC, since the iBook is geared more for the average consumer.

We'll likely see SMS, 2-finger scrolling and built-in AE and BT2.0. If not, perhaps a low-power dual-core G4.

mad jew
May 13, 2005, 07:51 AM
I'll have to disagree.

iBooks are due for an upgrade very soon, so it doesn't make sense to buy now. And there's no guarantee it will be released at WWDC, since the iBook is geared more for the average consumer.

We'll likely see SMS, 2-finger scrolling and built-in AE and BT2.0. If not, perhaps a low-power dual-core G4.


I don't reckon we'll see them at WWDC either, but I don't think Apple will release anything for a while. They've been pretty busy over the past month with Pro Apps, PowerMacs, Tiger, iMacs and eMacs. For keyz' needs (audio stuff), the current iBook should be fine and I don't think the next edition will really provide all that much of a major benefit. If they do get updated soon, I really doubt that there'll be a dual-core G4 too, but hopefully, I'm wrong and you're right. :D

Is SMS the shock management feature in the current PowerBooks, or is it something else?

tsk
May 13, 2005, 10:01 AM
Please don't get angry with me if I'm wrong but I don't reckon we'll see anything major from Apple until WWDC in June (maybe July?) so it'd be a pretty safe bet to get one now. Plus, even when they do actually get updated, the advancements won't be all that great. As it is, a lot of people see the iBook as already treading on the PowerBook's toes.

My advice: get one now. You'll love it. :D

I believe WWDC is June 6. That's 3 weeks and in my mind is an easy choice to wait for. The iBooks is the most "due" for an update.

mad jew
May 13, 2005, 10:05 AM
I believe WWDC is June 6. That's 3 weeks and in my mind is an easy choice to wait for. The iBooks is the most "due" for an update.


Thanks for that, good point. However, I agree with Lacero on this one and make the claim that it's pretty unlikely that an iBook will be released at a developer's event. Once again though, I hope I'm wrong.

Tamer Brad
May 13, 2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for that, good point. However, I agree with Lacero on this one and make the claim that it's pretty unlikely that an iBook will be released at a developer's event. Once again though, I hope I'm wrong.

Yes, but I would imagine it is quite possible for them to be given an update and lightly mentioned alongside with something more "pro".

mad jew
May 13, 2005, 10:14 AM
Yes, but I would imagine it is quite possible for them to be given an update and lightly mentioned alongside with something more "pro".


Fair enough. I can see them getting updated like the iMacs and eMacs were - just kind of put on the store one day, with no fanfare. That is, unless we get something major from them but I really doubt that.

martin1000
May 13, 2005, 10:24 AM
I definitely think we are going to see an upgrade. It will probably be minor. I say this because of the video card. The emacs video card was even upgraded, so I think the least they would do would be this.

My guess, the week before WWDC in June you will see a quiet update.

Just my two cents, and yes, I'm waiting too!

ericssonboi
May 13, 2005, 10:40 AM
After reading a lot of speculation on the iBooks on various forums..
I have concluded that a update is due..
When? Much speculation is before the next school season for sure..
iBooks are a huge entry level computer for many students.. and right now.. they're priced compretitive to other laptops on the market...
So if your willing to wait till the latest August.. the wait might be worthwhile..

Cheap-Chopstix
May 13, 2005, 12:09 PM
I think it may be even announced within the next 2 weeks. The Apple Store in Canada is opening very soon rumored orignally rumored for the longest time to be may 21st but now that has been bumped to june 4th according to http://www.ifoapplestore.com/ so it is probably due to inventory because latest pics of the store seem to show it is like 90 percent done. all shelves and tables are there. I guess they dont want to open an apple store and not have any of the new ibooks in stock or very few, it would look embarrassing for a grand opening of the first canadian store.

sw1tcher
May 13, 2005, 12:43 PM
Just thought I'd chime in too....

If you don't need one *now* and can wait til WWDC or maybe even til the week after WWDC (~June 15th-ish), then I'd wait. But, if you absolutely need one now, go ahead and buy it and enjoy it.

Just be forewarned that updates are imminent and should be out within the next month or so. If you decide to buy now and then an update gets released, say, a week after, don't get upset because you knew updates were around the corner. So many people get impatient (when they don't need one), buy something that's going to get an update very very soon, and then they get all upset because they could've gotten something better *if* they had waited a week or two more. Happens all the time here.

Personally, I'm taking the wait and see approach since I don't need one right this minute.

bbarnhart
May 13, 2005, 01:21 PM
Even if the new iBooks come out next week, it may be a long time before you can actually find one to buy or for Apple to build one for you. So, if you're going to wait, be prepared to wait for the update plus another month to actually get one.

My best guess on an update is sometime this month. I'm personnally involved in this too because I've decided to buy a new iBook to replace my old one (466 SE). I'm going to wait, but don't let that stop you from buying now. There won't be any earth shattering differences between the current model and the upcoming model.

(edit)

I wanted to mention what kind of iBook I'm getting. I'm going to get the 12" model with 80 GB HD and bluetooth module. When I get it, I'm going to get a 1 GB RAM upgrade. This laptop should last a while.

keyz
May 13, 2005, 02:55 PM
Well, the thing is I really don't *need* one right now. It's more of, I'm excited to get one and it would be very convenient to have one now. But yeah, I think I am going to wait. Even if there was a tiny update that would be great. I'm all for saving money. It sounds like I'm not alone in this game of waiting. Plus, in a month I'll have more cash to blow so who knows what I will get. :cool:

buryyourbrideau
May 13, 2005, 03:07 PM
whatever the ibook update may bring....

its not going to make what you are doing any better, in regard to using it on stage and whatnot

the curennt i book can handle that job just fine, people on here try to make it seem like it is a SLOW machine and is soo much worse than a pb

forget that, my 1.33 does garageband and logic pro just fine. believe me, even if they do update, i wouldnt buy one bc its not going to make your musics any better

if anything after the new rev comes out, try and find an old one for cheaper :)

ChrisBrightwell
May 13, 2005, 03:14 PM
I doubt sincerely that we'll see a significant upgrade to the iBook, since doing so would stomp all over the 12" Powerbook.

keyz
May 13, 2005, 03:16 PM
whatever the ibook update may bring....

its not going to make what you are doing any better, in regard to using it on stage and whatnot

the curennt i book can handle that job just fine, people on here try to make it seem like it is a SLOW machine and is soo much worse than a pb

forget that, my 1.33 does garageband and logic pro just fine. believe me, even if they do update, i wouldnt buy one bc its not going to make your musics any better

if anything after the new rev comes out, try and find an old one for cheaper :)

lol.. that crossed my mind too! You all have made me more confused. :p

Let's see.. I know that I would upgrade the RAM.. I also know that I will get an external audio interface.. I also know that the graphics probably isn't a high priority. Yeah, in a way I don't know what the heck I'm waiting for. I guess i just don't want to miss out on something!

But I do have this 100 dollar off student discount on top of a education discount so I just might seize that now so I can get the rebate sent in with no problems and on time.

Thanks for the posts, guys. It has helped. Still am not 100% sure.. feel free to keep discussing. :D

mcpix
May 13, 2005, 03:42 PM
I'm also planning on buying a new iBook and I think it definitely will pay to wait. I have no insider information other than what I've gleaned from this and other rumor sites. Here's why I think you should wait:

The new iBook will have a better GPU. With Tiger and Core Image, a larger and programable video card will be important.

The new iBook will ship with 512K RAM. This should save you the $40-$75 you'd spend to upgrade the current model.

Faster CPU. Not necessarily a big deal, as I expect merely a minor speed bump. Still, faster is better!

May be less money! If the new iBooks include a 12" HD model, then I think the standard 12" will drop to $899.

New 12" and 14" HD displays? I'm less sure about this, but given that the iBooks are over due for an update, this may be why they've been delayed.

Anyway, there's enough good stuff coming (and it should be soon), that I would say hang on to your cash a little while longer!

gog
May 13, 2005, 04:49 PM
Why not ibook yet?
- heres a rumor for you...
I predict iBooks get a style update in June so that Jobs can have a bit of a media shine.

What is forefront on apple's mind right now? Banking the Halo Effect.
So I predict they keep the iconic white so ipod users can switch to a comfortable space.
... But add ipod mini-style colours to attract ipod mini switchers who would like a matching set.
Oh, and a minor speed/RAM/video update of course.
Would that be smart?

guylafleur
May 13, 2005, 06:00 PM
I`m also looking to buy a new ibook, but I live in Japan and have access to secret information :D I posted the link to Macrumors.com, but they ignored it, as they probably can`t read Japanese, and it could be saying anything for all they know. On the Japanese Applestore page, they are having a special "memory upgrade" sale for ibooks only, which runs until May 22nd. The next day, May 23rd is a Tuesday, and it makes perfect sense that they`ll release the new ibooks then(which will include 512 MB RAM) after selling off as much extra RAM as they can.

The perks of waiting will be higher base RAM, a higher speed G4, a slightly larger base HD, an upgraded video card (for TIGER) , and a few small other things. Waiting is worth the $250 you`d have to spend for those upgrades if you bought one now.

Wait until the 23rd, and if it`s not released, I`ll be a monkey`s distant relative (except in Kansas). ;)

ign
May 14, 2005, 04:19 PM
I hope you're right even thought it sounds funny to hear
detailed news on new products from japan.....

I hope they won't make us wait until late summer.
It is true though that ibooks are getting very close to pbooks
so they can't come out with major upgrades.
The video card and the standard ram though should
be upgraded........... who knows!

Cheap-Chopstix
May 18, 2005, 12:18 PM
Wow i can't believe iBooks haven't been updated yet. Now I'm really stumped as to what Apple is gonna do, They have to update it soon because its around the time many schools around the country start purchasing for the next school year. I really hope my hunch was correct. I told my cousin to wait a few weeks till they updated before purchasing.