Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I always have used the Otterbox defender but I don't like the 4S version with larger camera cutout and larger opening for proximity sensor. Both openings are a lot less protective than the iPhone 4 version. I tried putting a front screen protector on the front but since the defender has a screen protector the response is terrible. I work in an environment that needs the same protection as the previous model.

Any other recommendations for a case that shows the apple logo as well as providing better protection for the rear facing camera and proximity sensor?

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
the universal iPhone 4 defender case works with the 4s,

it isn't perfect, but it worked well enough before i cut out the opening to be more like the 4s case.

it wouldn't recognize each time i put it up to my ear for siri, but most of the time even pre enlarging it would recognize it.

the camera on the back i've had no issues with the smaller cutout

if you want the "same protection as the previous model" for <$20 on amazon its a solid value.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Bought the new OB 4s model and I am returning it. I picked up a Griffin Survivor and really like it. Adds some bulk but it offers great protection. Think the survivor is on par with what the defender used to be.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Bought the new OB 4s model and I am returning it. I picked up a Griffin Survivor and really like it. Adds some bulk but it offers great protection. Think the survivor is on par with what the defender used to be.

I have a Survivor for my iPhone 4 that I gave to our son. I don't need that much protection and adds to much bulk. And I don't like my iPhone front facing out. There are issues with the Survivor when you put the front facing in.

What's best about the universal Dedender version is the silicon is a tighter fit. Also it's the type of case that looks good. The Survivor is ugly looking. The defender still looks good with a pair of khaki's.

Last edited:

Friscochris

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
I picked up a iP4 defender for my white 4s today. Honestly the only thing I noticed that was really not even a problem was the cut out for the ring/vibrate switch made it a tad bit "harder" to switch it on and off. Otherwise everything else works. I think IMA go ahead and keep it. I think it looks better than the 4s version anyways and I got it in red.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I picked up a iP4 defender for my white 4s today. Honestly the only thing I noticed that was really not even a problem was the cut out for the ring/vibrate switch made it a tad bit "harder" to switch it on and off. Otherwise everything else works. I think IMA go ahead and keep it. I think it looks better than the 4s version anyways and I got it in red.

Does the proximity sensor work?

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
On my old defender my screen protector got pretty scratched up so I removed it from the case and just used a invisi shield on screen then put defender on.

Friscochris

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
My screen protector is still fairly new so that may be a reason.

I can honestly say I do not see myself returning this case unless there os a very good reason why I should, and I havent found one yet. Love the colors (red, black and white) and I got it for $39 instead of $49. Wallymart FTW.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia

If I could find a front screen protector in addition to the defender screen protector I will keep it. For me too much exposed in the front where the proximity sensor is. I tried a couple screen protectors already and you can't type well.

Friscochris

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
If I could find a front screen protector in addition to the defender screen protector I will keep it. For me too much exposed in the front where the proximity sensor is. I tried a couple screen protectors already and you can't type well.

I have the screen protector from Verizon. The woman that worked there put it on for me which I was glad she did because I am horrible when it comes to putting those on. I picked up the defender at Walmart and when I got home I though to myself... I think saw somewhere that this case isn't supposed to work with this phone... I put it on anyways to try everything out and it works flawlessly.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I have the screen protector from Verizon. The woman that worked there put it on for me which I was glad she did because I am horrible when it comes to putting those on. I picked up the defender at Walmart and when I got home I though to myself... I think saw somewhere that this case isn't supposed to work with this phone... I put it on anyways to try everything out and it works flawlessly.

Which screen protector from Verizon did you get?

fishcube

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Iowa
Its working just fine. Hold to my ear and siri comes on and screen goes dark. I even have a screen protector on the phone and i am not experiencing any lag.

Strange, just got my survivor case and proximity sensor not working. I have white iPhone4. ??? Huh? No where under details does it say it won't work with white iphone4s. Love the case otherwise. But not sure why this hasn't been fixed ?

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
I had one of these cases for my 4S originally and I hated it. Went through two of them and neither ones outer rubber fit properly. Not only that, the plugs for the ports were always opening and letting dust and pocket lint behind the cover.

While it doesn't show the Apple Logo, I've found the Griffin Survivor case to be a much better case. The camera flap is a bit annoying, but you get used to it. The inner plastic piece is about the same as the Defender, but I feel that the outer rubber is a bit thicker. I've got a Survivor for my iPad 2 and it's survived a few tumbles off the kitchen table without so much as a dent. While it's certainly not waterproof, I feel comfortable that the case would protect from a minor splash or spill. All plugs, ports, and buttons are covered in some way and there's a built in screen protector. Never noticed any "oil slick" effect with it, but the edges of the case are a bit high, so hitting anything near the extreme edges will take some getting used to.

The only major complaint I have about the case is that the home button is not recessed at all. Unless you have Siri outright disabled or disabled when locked, that button will get hit in your pocket and you'll hear a disembodied voice coming out of your pocket. Aside from that annoyance, it's a well built case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.