Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has sent an email out to developers informing them that iTunes Match music libraries in iCloud will once again be wiped on Thursday, October 27th. Apple instructs developers to turn off iTunes Match on their computers and iOS devices during that time.

match_email.png

The wipe may be in preparation for the public launch of iTunes Match. The service was originally to be launched alongside iOS 5 but was pushed to the "end of October". iTunes Match remains in beta testing with developers, and there's been evidence that Apple has been quietly preparing for its public launch.

Last week, an iTunes Match toggle has appeared in the iOS 5 Music Settings pane, which directs users to subscribe to the service using iTunes. Apple has not yet publicly released an updated version of iTunes that allows users to sign up for this feature.

itunes_match-500x314.png

iTunes Match is a $25/year subscription service that will match your existing iTunes library with 256-Kbps versions in the iCloud. These songs will become available for download on your other Macs or iOS devices through iCloud.
Here's how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library. Since there are more than 20 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can't match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices. Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality -- even if your original copy was of lower quality

Article Link: Apple Wiping iTunes Match Libraries Again on Thursday, October 27th

Last edited by a moderator:

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Coming closer. Hoping for a launch in Europe soon!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Does the iTunes Match sub fee come straight out of your payment method like app gifting does? Or does it come out of your credit...which would be awesome :D

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Just to confirm. It is iCloud backups not just iTunes Match on iCloud?

This is only iTunes Match, if it was iCloud backups as well then everyone who uses iCloud would have gotten an email.

So iTunes Match, I pay $25 to have all my music accessible via a download to my mobile device or STREAM? Please help! :confused:

On iOS devices it downloads the song to your device (it plays as it downloads).
On desktop iTunes it will stream or you can have it download.

Does the iTunes Match sub fee come straight out of your payment method like app gifting does? Or does it come out of your credit...which would be awesome :D

I paid for it using my $100 iTunes gift card I got from the back to school promo.

Educ8r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
4th largest city in the USA
For some reason, there were a couple of CDs in which only half of the songs were uploaded. All of the songs showed up but some were grayed out and I couldn't play them. I tried to update it several times but nothing changed. There were also a few CDs in which the album art wouldn't display. I hate that I have to do the upload again. :rolleyes:

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

This is an awesome feature but what happens if iCloud is down? It's happened with MobileMe. I'd be worried about lossing all my music.

Any one share my concern?

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
How do they validate the song??? Suppose a person could create an MP3 (or any other file type) that has the exact same duration and simply add your tags then it would be available on Match??? Just wondering if they have implemented anything to prevent that from happening...

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

This is an awesome feature but what happens if iCloud is down? It's happened with MobileMe. I'd be worried about lossing all my music.

When, in recent memory, has the iTunes store ever been down? Did Apple lose all the music in the iTunes store?

That should answer your question, you are safe.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
For some reason, there were a couple of CDs in which only half of the songs were uploaded. All of the songs showed up but some were grayed out and I couldn't play them. I tried to update it several times but nothing changed. There were also a few CDs in which the album art wouldn't display. I hate that I have to do the upload again. :rolleyes:

Welcome to learning what Beta means!

That being said, I'm wondering if iTunes will take the tracks metadata or the filename as its information. I have lots of metadata that I screwed up with that stupid Tuneup - split complete albums apart, wrong artwork. Yuck. Yeah, it's my fault. But I wonder if iTunes can fix it.

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010

No. With the newly built, HUGE, datacenter and all the money that went into it we should assume they are taking this seriously.

ssimpson205

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
These songs will become available for download on your other Macs or iOS devices through iCloud.

Whoa, whoa, whoa - wait a minute! This makes it sound like only desktop iTunes users with Macs, not Windows PCs, will be able to use iTunes Match.

Did Apple ever say this anywhere? Is there any authoritative source of information that has explicitly ruled out iTunes for Windows users?

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009

BornAgainMac said:
I spent a small fortune upgrading everything in my iTunes library to iTunes Plus. I wish I would have known before this was announced almost 6 months ago.

+1 and every other person that paid for the upgrades

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.0.2;FBBV/4020.0;FBDV/iPhone2,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0;FBSS/1; FBCR/AT&T;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

Here's my question: let's say I have 4 gigs of music on my phone of a 32 gig library. Can I make a genius playlist that pulls from all 32 gigs and pull down songs as needed, or will it only use the 4 gigs on my phone?

exhibit.b

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Welcome to learning what Beta means!

That being said, I'm wondering if iTunes will take the tracks metadata or the filename as its information. I have lots of metadata that I screwed up with that stupid Tuneup - split complete albums apart, wrong artwork. Yuck. Yeah, it's my fault. But I wonder if iTunes can fix it.

When you download songs using itunes match, your metadata will stay the same as what you have in your library. at least thats how it has been throughout the beta.

Educ8r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
4th largest city in the USA
you can play your ENTIRE library...well up to 25K songs

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.0.2;FBBV/4020.0;FBDV/iPhone2,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0;FBSS/1; FBCR/AT&T;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

Here's my question: let's say I have 4 gigs of music on my phone of a 32 gig library. Can I make a genius playlist that pulls from all 32 gigs and pull down songs as needed, or will it only use the 4 gigs on my phone?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
No. With the newly built, HUGE, datacenter and all the money that went into it we should assume they are taking this seriously.

All that means is that they have capacity. That doesn't mean they know how to use it. However, this reminds me of something my grandfather told me before he died: With great capacity comes great responsability.

/Goes off to be Spiderman :eek:

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010

It will be as if it is already on your device.

This is essentially a stream and cache service. People need to stop worrying about whether or not songs are downloaded or streamed. The reason why they chose to download (cache) is because it saves us on bandwidth and allows us to access music much quicker (from tapping song to hearing audio.)

You will see your entire library listed in your iPod. Click on what you want to listen to. If you are running out of space on your device then just clear some cache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.