Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNET reports that LG Display and Samsung are continuing to struggle with production of the display planned for the iPad 3 next year, with both companies trying to tackle the challenge of producing the display in volume. Sources have claimed that Apple is planning a 2048 x 1536 display for the device, double that of the current iPad in each dimension.
But whether manufacturers can make them in volumes that Apple demands is the question. "They have production plans for 2,048x1,536 displays. Starting in November. But those are only plans at this point," said the source, referring to LG and Samsung.

"It's not a question of making just one. That, of course, can be done. The challenge is making lots of them," the source said. "This is a quantum leap in pixel density. This hasn't been done before."
Some reports had suggested that Apple was hoping to release the iPad 3 late this year, but by August reports were suggesting that the launch had been pushed back to 2012, if it had ever been targeted for 2011 in the first place. Display production was identified as the major stumbling block at the time, but The Wall Street Journal had noted that trial production of the display was planned for October.

white_ipad_2_oblique.jpg

Curiously, CNET's report claims that Apple is also considering a 1600 x 1200 display as a fallback option for the iPad 3 if the higher-resolution display proves to not be ready in time. Such a move would seem to run counter to Apple's strategy for increasing display resolution, as it would not be a clean multiple of the current 1024 x 768 display and would thus cause issues for developers who have already produced apps for the current iPad models.

When Apple transitioned to the Retina display on the iPhone 4, it doubled each dimension of the previous 480 x 320 display to reach the new 960 x 640 resolution. That exact doubling in each dimension allowed the Retina-capable iPhone 4 to easily display content intended for the original lower-resolution display. Over time, many developers have updated their apps to specifically support the Retina display, providing higher-resolution graphics within their apps.

Article Link: LG and Samsung Still Struggling with 'Retina' iPad 3 Display?

craznar

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Samsung is having troubles making displays for the iPad 3.

Sort of like the maths nerd having trouble doing homework for the cool football star at school really ... the incentive is what ?

We wont beat you up ?

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008

Sort of like the maths nerd having trouble doing homework for the cool football star at school really ... the incentive is what ?

We wont beat you up ?

The incentive is multi-billion dollar manufacturing contracts from Apple. What, you think they're doing it as a favor? Trust me, they're motivated.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Making such a display sounds like a nightmare. An even worse nightmare I would think: building the GPU and memory to power it while still increasing performance over the iPad 2... AND not costing an arm and a leg AND not gobbling battery like Cookie Monster (which quadruple the pixels and quadruple the display memory could well do).

It WILL happen, and I will buy it :) But I’m braced for the fact that I may have to wait. It wouldn’t at all shock me if we’re talking 2013 (iPad 4) in the end. I hate to say that, but even Apple can’t easily wave away all the challenges (and costs).

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Always wonder how Apple could improve the iPad. THIS IS IT.

I stopped wondering how they can make it better about a year and a half ago when I got my iPhone 4.

We wont beat you up ?

I agree, Samsung should really consider charging Apple for these panels instead of doing it out of the kindness of their heart. /sarcasm

Nach0

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Making such a display sounds like a nightmare. An even worse nightmare I would think: building the GPU and memory to power it while still increasing performance over the iPad 2... AND not costing an arm and a leg AND not gobbling battery like Cookie Monster (which quadruple the pixels and quadruple the display memory could well do).

Very much this^^^^
ever get a mid range GFX card and run a 3D game at 1920x1080 get like 5FPS drop it to 1024x768 and get 30?

same thing, pushing around that amount of pixels requires massive power, you guys have see what a high end GFX card looks like right? 4 inches of rans and heat syncs.
unless the games drop down to a lower res and double the pixels (like when you get an iPod touch game on an iPad and 2X it, looks horrible!

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I still wonder why only Apple uses these displays... Too expensive? Or do other tablets have these planned?
And the iPad is actually less expensive than a lot of Droid tablets. Who would pay $800 for a ****ty Xoom?

And the iPad will soon have a much higher resolution display than my 2006 iMac 24" :(

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Hardware wise I can't see how they could possibly improve the iPad if they pull this off. Fingers crossed!

A6 processor? even better graphic accelerator? 12 plus hours on battery and more cycles?

----------

Maybe my needs is limited and/or I'm getting old. I think current screen resolution is fine for just about everything I do even for seeing good pictures.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Don't settle Apple, take your time and perfect the 2048 x 1536 screens.

We'll see if they end up going that high in resolution. Keep in mind that exceeds current laptop displays. The current 27" panels are 2560x1440. I've felt that what's been holding them (LG and Samsung) back for a while has been gpu technology.

Afaik Apple doesn't really have much to do with the actual engineering of the displays. It seems like they commission the designs on those, and displays in general (aside from the iphone) have never been a really strong point for them, so I would think they'd actually be best off leaving it to a company like LG. The only thing I've ever truly hated about LG is how they tend to overdo their antiglare coatings. I hate that stupid residual sparkle effect, but they have so much of the market at this point that if you don't want a glossy display, you end up putting up with it.

We wont beat you up ?

Well I'd think Samsung would want to repair things with Apple right now. Not everyone totally gets the difference in Samsung vs. LG panels. In terms of panels suitable for higher quality displays, LG has ips, Samsung has PVA. Many of the stereotypical problems with each technology have been greatly mitigated over the past few years. LG was the optimal choice for larger desktop panels for quite a while there partially because of superior viewing angles. If you're looking at a larger display, that becomes more of a factor. Overall though either technology can give excellent results at this point.

Last edited:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
A6 processor? even better graphic accelerator? 12 plus hours on battery and more cycles?

----------

Maybe my needs is limited and/or I'm getting old. I think current screen resolution is fine for just about everything I do even for seeing good pictures.

Text will benefit much more than viewing pictures. For people who want to make extensive use of their iPad as a reading device, the "retina" pixel density is a huge benefit and makes a very noticable difference in text clairty and sharpness.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
It WILL happen, and I will buy it :) But I’m braced for the fact that I may have to wait. It wouldn’t at all shock me if we’re talking 2013 (iPad 4) in the end.

Exactly! It's just a matter of time. Like Jonathan Ive said in the Celebration of Steve's Life event:

"when the prototypes failed, it was with great intent ... with faith, he decided to believe that eventually we would make something great."

nick219

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
there was never going to be an iPad 3 in 2011, apple clearly said "2011 is the year of iPad 2"

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I hope we get the double resolution. This is the only reason I haven't purchased my first iPad yet. i been holding out on iPad 3. After seeing the resolution on the iPhone 4 the iPad 2 was a let down for me. I can't afford getting a new one every update so I was waiting for the Retina iPad 3.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
My iPad screen looks so bad next to my iPhone 4s. I'm definitely going to upgrade when a retina display comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.