Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I want to turn this off.

I'm trying to form new PDFs in Preview, which used to work just fine in SL but now it wants to make duplicates because things are locked and whatever ****.

I want to turn it off. Permanently.

Also resume isn't useful either, but i've disabled that for everything but Safari.

How do I do this?

If it wasn't for the fact the security and performance is better in Lion I would go back to SL already :/

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I would also love a way of disabling Lion's autosave "feature." With that deactivated, Lion 10.7.2 would be great; but alas, no one has yet found a way of stopping it. It seems to be deeply integrated into the OS and in order to disable it for Preview, we would need to be able to run the Snow Leopard version of Preview on Lion.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Versions drives me nuts. I absolutely hate it. I have been a computer user long enough to handle my own files with no problems. I was managing multiple versions of files when I was using Multics and all you need to do is pay attention. *NIX and even Windows provide decent ways to manage versions on your own without the OS sticking its nose in. I would love to be able to kill it and also the resume after logout.

yawns

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I actually like Lion and mostly prefer all of the subtle improvements. Versions alone, however, made me consider reverting to SL. It's unbelievably annoying to lose control over your files, and to have the OS save things you don't want saved.

For the moment, I'm either running SL versions of applications that don't support versions (like TextEdit), or using 3rd party applications. It's a real disappointment though, because SL's Preview doesn't work, and Preview was a really useful thing.

Unfortunately, I think this is a large component of the "post-pc" paradigm, where the user isn't allowed (and maybe doesn't want) to think about anything that's happening behind their touch screen and giant icons. Further loss of control will probably become more prevalent.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just as I said in the week of Lion's release.

Versions is just badly implemented. Version control has always meant the user decides what they want to save; saving every little change without asking can only be a bad thing.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
This is one of the reasons I haven't gone to Lion.

All Apple needs to do is give us a "Save Version" option and we would be able to save the versions we want and not a version for every change including typos.

With this they need to give us options for Autosave of at least Off, Always, and Every Xmin with the ability to set the number of minutes between versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.