PDA

View Full Version : Rossetta / MS Office

BetsyMePoocho
Oct 27, 2011, 09:28 AM
OK,, I think I understand the direction of Lion. Like or not we are "sheep" being shepherded. It's done to us all our lives.....

I will eventually and reluctantly upgrade to Lion. Just need to ask a few questions....

* Will there ever be a "third party" "Rosette"?

* Will MS Office ever work in Lion? (iWork just does not convert XLS files even in Snow Leopard.)

* How does the "Thumb Drive" $69 upgrade work? We can not have cable hi-speed internet and the download time just will not work.... Our satellite provider only allows 400 meg download per rolling 24hr.....

Any input / advise/ answers will be welcomed.....!
Thanks

robbieduncan
Oct 27, 2011, 09:33 AM
1) The amount of effort required to get Rosetta working pretty much excludes the likelihood of any third party bothering

2) The most recent version of Office work just fine

3) :confused: You get the OS on a thumb drive and install from there

Daveoc64
Oct 27, 2011, 11:03 AM
* Will there ever be a "third party" "Rosette"?

Highly unlikely. It would be very difficult to do from a technical standpoint and probably impossible from a legal one.

* Will MS Office ever work in Lion? (iWork just does not convert XLS files even in Snow Leopard.)

Office 2011 installs and works fine in Lion. Office 2008 will also work fine, but you may have difficulty installing it from the DVD.

* How does the "Thumb Drive" $69 upgrade work? We can not have cable hi-speed internet and the download time just will not work.... Our satellite provider only allows 400 meg download per rolling 24hr.....

Just like installing an operating system from a DVD or CD.