PDA

View Full Version : To people that had RevA and now RevB iMacG5?

mauly
May 13, 2005, 05:57 PM
Is the RevB still having any of the noise issues?

cosmoed
May 14, 2005, 01:56 AM
Is the RevB still having any of the noise issues?

What do you mean by noise issuse's?

No iMac is 100% silent, mine has a very suddle computer hum, its defnitely quieter then all the other computers I have. As far as loud buzzs and gnarls, no.

Just a computer hum.

Balin64
May 14, 2005, 02:13 AM
My iMac's fans definitely rev up during intensive tasks... and much like the speaker design, it is amplified by the compact design and the proximity to the working surface. When I work on intensive tasks, I turn the porcessor to HIGH. Then the fans have a field day. Oh well... REV A blues I suppose.

On the other hand, I will be filled with schadenfreude if the REV B's are silent...

skp574
May 14, 2005, 02:16 AM
I have both a Rev A and B iMac. Both have 20" screens.

The Rev A was bought at the beginning of March and has the dreaded screen problem, which in my case, renders the bottom third of the screen blanks until it gets up to temperature. When it does, the whole screen flickers. I simply have not had the time to take it back for service.

I can't be without a computer for work, so I bought a Rev B as soon as they came out the other week. So far so good, no screen problems or fans running at high speed.

The Rev A, on the odd occasion would run the fans at full speed. I found that it did it whilst running the Hardware Test Disc as well.

The Rev B, IMO, runs its fans a little faster when idle. But that may be due to slightly higher running temperatures (faster processor?). But it's not ear shattering. It it still quieter than my Lacie Bigger Disc!

In both machines, the processor speed is set to highest all the time.

The fan speeds would also depend on the external ambient temperature too. I'm in the UK and it's not quite summer, not very warm and a bit damp. I would guess that when the temperatures go up, then I would expect the fans to run faster more often.

So far so good for the Rev B. I've not had any problems with fans or screen.

Hope that helps.

mad jew
May 14, 2005, 02:16 AM
On the other hand, I will be filled with schadenfreude if the REV B's are silent...

I cannot believe you managed to incorporate that into a post! Amazing. :D

From what I've seen (or heard) in the store, the new ones seem about as loud. They had both revisions there too, so it was pretty easy to compare.

mauly
May 14, 2005, 05:01 AM
What do you mean by noise issuse's?

Fan noise!! I heard some unlucky people had more then normal amounts of fan noise!! or was that just a dream? :confused: